REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Parked car damage, Collision vs Comprehensive coverage?

My car was parked on the street and had the side mirror broken off and door scratched. I wasn't there and found no witnesses or other info.

ICBC has listed the claim as a hit and run. I have third party auto insurance through Canadian Direct Insurance (CDI).

With CDI a hit and run is considered a collision, and has a $500 deductible. Comprehensive (vandalism, other stuff) has a $200 deductible.

Is ICBC correctly listing the claim as a hit and run? Is there any possible way I can get this done under comprehensive coverage instead of collision?

My autobody shop quoted $300 to replace mirror and spot paint the door if I pay out of pocket, or he will fully repaint the entire door if I get insurance to pay for it.
Advertisement
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
if there is evidence that the car was damaged by another vehicle, then yes it would be considered a hit and run. If it was keyed/had the mirror bashed by a person, then it would be vandalism. Either way, you still have to pay the deduct, no?
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

man that sucks. if its going to cost that much.. should try to grab a mirror from ralphs and install a new mirror yourself

hope it works out for you
iKayChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
It sure sounds like a car hit yours and kept going which would make it a hit and run.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
I'm invisible

Under ICBC wording booklet, hit and run comes from the collision deductible. If there was a witness of some sort then you might have a case... Having insurance under CDI will this collision claim affect your future premiums if let's say there was another claim in the future ??
Posted via RS Mobile
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanks for the replies. Claim doesn't affect future premiums with CDI as I'm not at fault.

I guess I just have to decide if I want to pay $300 out of pocket for a patch paint fix or $500 deductible for a fully repainted door.

This is one of my first incidents. I didn't know you get so screwed over even when you did nothing wrong.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Under ICBC wording booklet, hit and run comes from the collision deductible. If there was a witness of some sort then you might have a case... Having insurance under CDI will this collision claim affect your future premiums if let's say there was another claim in the future ??
Posted via RS Mobile
I always thought any hit and run would be covered under Basic (bodily injury or collision). Can you post the source of the booklet? Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
I'm invisible

I'll have to find a copy and scan it... Under basic insurance hit and run on a vehicle is covered but with a minimum deductible of $750. If you have collision coverage deductible you will pay the lesser of the 2.
Posted via RS Mobile

**googled and found this hit and run brochure**

http://www.icbc.com/csDelPrd/Satelli...%2Fhit-run.pdf

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 03-27-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

y is every1 quoting ICBC?

ur third party insurance is thought CDI rite? so your third party lib, coll and comp is through CDI rite?

at this point u should of only bought basic ($200,000) lib from icbc. Icbc doesn't care about ur car since u didnt buy coll or comp, if u wanted to claim through ICBC it would be $750 deduct

read up what CDI considers as hit and run.

my advice is to pay it off ur self. $100 difference isnt worth having a claim on ur car in case u wanna sell it in the future.
-10 Fit

Last edited by umpadupa; 03-27-2013 at 11:39 PM.
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I had CDI for awhile. They were super easy to deal with, and nice and all.

Then, I had a letter come wanting a mechanics report on my car. My car was older, so I understood why they would do it, but I didn't feel the need to deal with an extra hassle of having aircare, AND some form of mechanics inspection.

So I went back to ICBC and have been there ever since.

I do like the idea that they will just come to you if they need to see your car, be it at home or work, as opposed to having to go to a claim center.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote