REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Man banned from USA for trying marijuana (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682320-man-banned-usa-trying-marijuana.html)

XplicitLuder 03-29-2013 03:07 PM

Man banned from USA for trying marijuana

Man admits to trying drugs, gets banned from U.S. | CTV News

Quote:

James Sward readily admits it: he has tried marijuana. More than once. He just never imagined it would get him banned from the United States.
On a recent trip to the U.S., border officials asked the British Columbia elevator mechanic about his drug history. He was honest. Maybe too honest, he said.
He admitted to getting busted carrying pot as a teen – though he was never charged or convicted. But when he admitted to smoking the drug, he was flatly denied entry and banned.

“It’s guys like me that want to tell the truth,” Sward told CTV British Columbia. “The system worked against me, being honest.”
If you have a history of drug-use, telling the truth can indeed get you in trouble at the border, says a U.S. immigration lawyer.
“What I tell people is, you never want to admit, ever, ever using or possessing illegal substances such as marijuana,” Len Saunders said. “(If you get banned) you could require a waiver for the rest of your life.”
Andrew Feldmar found that out the hard way. The Canadian psychologist was famously banned from the U.S. in 2006 after customs officials discovered he used LSD in the 1960s. For a research paper.
“It's totally unfair, totally unjust,” Feldmar said. “If they stopped everybody who has used illicit substances, nobody would be allowed into the United States.”
He’s now able to cross the border with a visa. Sward, on the other hand, is out of luck.
“It’s not worth it, honestly,” he said on fighting the ban.
But if he had to do it all over again, he admits, he just would have lied.

Read more: Man admits to trying drugs, gets banned from U.S. | CTV News

:fulloffuck: so much for telling the truth, time to lie all the time :fuckthatshit:

ps : hope its not a repost

MG1 03-29-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8198539)
ps : hope its not a repost

Not a repost, but old news. Never admit to anything when crossing border. Don't even joke about it. Most border guards have little to no sense of humour.

I've never had any border guard ask me that question, btw.

How many times have I crossed? Hundreds of times.

bloodmack 03-29-2013 04:01 PM

going across border high as a kite, :accepted:. Officer asked me what I was going to do in the USA, I said get some munchies, no problems here. :fullofwin:

XplicitLuder 03-29-2013 04:04 PM

well i remember when i had my prelude and i got asked to turn off my engine and got searched , while still at the booth, the guard kept saying if he got his dog here would he find any drugs and i kept saying no. and i said that ive done weed before but i havent in like 2 years, which was true, but nothing happened. guess i lucked out :badpokerface: didnt really know this

?uestlove 03-29-2013 04:39 PM

Not surprising. Every (yes, every) border cop I've ever dealt with in my entire life has had the hugest dick up their ass
Posted via RS Mobile

Graeme S 03-29-2013 04:57 PM

My mom's ex-husband is still banned from the States. He was caught with a Communist Party card in the 60s crossing the border.

No joke.

twitchyzero 03-29-2013 05:05 PM

WA has legalized MJ use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_US_stateso...how did he still get banned?
Is there a way to appeal it?

Graeme S 03-29-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8198611)
WA has legalized MJ use
Legality of cannabis by US state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
so...how did he still get banned?
Is there a way to appeal it?

Still federally illegal.

No.

beproud 03-29-2013 06:18 PM

Ouch, ya, I will never admit to that eh. Heard so many horror stories
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 03-29-2013 07:04 PM

in other words: deny 'till you die

:troll:

Spartacus 03-29-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 8198571)
going across border high as a kite, :accepted:. Officer asked me what I was going to do in the USA, I said get some munchies, no problems here. :fullofwin:

Posted via RS Mobile

You've got Balls.

bballguy 03-29-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlightmaskman (Post 8198665)
Posted via RS Mobile

Oh okay.

parm104 03-29-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8198609)
My mom's ex-husband is still banned from the States. He was caught with a Communist Party card in the 60s crossing the border.

No joke.

Bingo...Very few people understand the concept of Federal Supremacy.

There are other people who have done real stupid things these past few weeks. People who bring weed from B.C. out with them on their way through the American border...then they get caught and bitch and cry about it...either way you broke the law...you tried to bring a controlled substance across the border into the U.S. (where you thought it was legal to smoke it) and/or you had a controlled substance with you in Canada. There's no legal way for one to do this...

Hehe 03-29-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8198614)
Still federally illegal.

No.

This is not entirely true. Although federal laws have conflict preemption, it's still up to the court (often Supreme court) to decide on a case-by-case basis. (Meaning federal government have to prove their supremacy in court)

However, the dude here consumed pot in BC. I don't think there's any argument.

If one consumed weed legally in WA after it was decriminalized, and got banned for admitting it, I don't see how, even supreme court, would side with the border agent.

Gridlock 03-30-2013 07:21 AM

On a slightly side note, I find there are now a LOT of misconceptions regarding the legalities of weed.

I had an argument with this guy regarding weed in BC.

"well, its legal in BC"

He flat out refused...REFUSED...to listen to me. It is the same the level as illegal that it has always been. The difference is the police aren't being dicks on small personal amounts.

"The federal liberals introduced a bill to legalize small amounts..."

Where is subsequently DIED on the floor when their government fell to a vote of non-confidence.

I don't even use the shit and I'm aware on its current standing. People act like its completely legal, but it isn't. You may work to change its legality, but currently..its still illegal.

I will add, that I finally cautioned him against educating people about weed until he actually read up on it. So bizarre.

dinosaur 03-30-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 8198539)

:fulloffuck: so much for telling the truth, time to lie all the time :fuckthatshit:

telling the truth isnt a "get out of jail free" card.

shenmecar 03-30-2013 08:33 AM

Next article will be about a guy getting banned because he tried to carry a Kinder Surprise across the border.

AAnthony 03-30-2013 10:12 AM

-----

noventa 03-30-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAnthony (Post 8198970)
A few years ago a friend of a friend was crossing into the US. They searched him and found a tiny little roach somewhere in his trunk. He had no clue it was there but they gave him a 5 year ban.

Amurrica, the land of the free (yet border guards have the ability to prevent you from ever stepping foot there again)
Posted via RS Mobile

Are you stupid? Land of the free does not mean for every idiot on the planet. Why do you have the privilege to enter the USA as you please? Are you an American citizen? Of course the border guards have "have the ability to prevent you from ever stepping foot there again". If they did not have this ability, they wouldn't be much of a "guard'" would they?

Ohkun 03-30-2013 02:49 PM

At Point Robert's border crossing, I once said

"I'm picking up car parts and pot"

man... that did not come out right. I wasn't even trying to be funny or anything.

I got the WTF look from the officer..

I was picking up this

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-LCC3-Pre-Seasoned-Cooker-10-25-inch/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1364683645&sr=8-5&keywords=cast+iron+pot

jeedee 03-30-2013 04:00 PM

^your fault for not saying pot COOKER
Posted via RS Mobile

bballguy 03-30-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8199162)
^your fault for not saying pot COOKER
Posted via RS Mobile

oh really?

noventa 03-30-2013 06:02 PM

:Orly:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8199166)
oh really?

is there an Oh Henry smiley?

$_$ 03-31-2013 04:14 PM

By their logic, half of the Canadians probably shouldn't be allowed into US then... Hell, I find their logic kind of fucked up when both of their most recent presidents admitted to smoking pot and doing cocaine. Bush Jr. aside, since daddy was president, would Obama still have become president if he was busted for pot or cocaine when he was young? I guess all is fun and games untill/unless you get caught or are rich.

jeedee 03-31-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballguy (Post 8199166)
oh really?

yarly