REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Spoiler!

you didn't like the drive because you didn't go down far enough. you have to drive the PCH in its entirety. then and only then will you appreciate the true beauty of that highway.
Advertisement
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
I made it down all the way to the California border. I was planning on going to San Fran, but changed my mind.

it was beautiful along the hwy

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Gonna bump this up... Just starting to plan a trip for summer down the coast. The plan is to drive down and end up in New Port - Already booked a place down there for two nights, then on the way back stay in Portland 1 night.

We also want to do seattle for most of the first day, then make the rest of the drive (the actual coast part) the second day. Any recommendations for a place to stay near seattle that isn't priced outrageously? Looking at something like Tacoma or Dupont but open to suggestions. Don't want it to be too far away from seattle because when we get there it will be after a long day.

Also any suggestions for cool places to check out would also be appreciated I've made note of most of the places already covered in this thread and others, as well as a few other places I found on the web.

Thanks!

Places I would recommend stopping at:
Hug Point State Park. (30min-1 hour) off highway 101: 5 seconds
I've been going down the cost for 20+ years and I only stopped by this park on my last visit. Its a 30 second walk to the beach from the parking lot. Wrap around the rock cliff to the right (when tide is out) for a look at some caves and a waterfall right on the beach.

Fort Stevens State Park (15-30min) off highway 101: 10 min
This is one of the most popular tourist attractions on the coastline. Located in Warrenton. Take a look at the shipwreck on the beach! viewable from the parking lot bluff but best to view at low tide if you want to take pictures of/ with it.

Oswald State Park. (1+ hours) off highway 101: 5 seconds
Located right off of highway 101. Park your car and take the 10min walk down to the quiet beach. There is next to no wind down at this beach due to large cliffs on both sides. Great for beginner surfing and overall relaxation.

Pacific City/ Cape Kiwanda (1-2 hours) off highway 101: 15-20min
One of the hotspots for local surfing! Theres a huge haystack rock, massive sand hill that you can climb and take amazing pictures atop. Pacific city is located approx 15-20min off of highway one. Great pub (pelican pub) located right on the water. Did i mention you can drive your car on the beach? check it out

Lincoln City (1+ hours) off highway 101: you drive through it
One of the biggest cities next to portland. Lots of things to do here: sight see, shop (tanger outlets), eat, etc, etc. The outlets are worth stopping at for cheap buys. Located right off of highway 101.

Cannon Beach (1-2 hours) off highway 101: 2min
A huge tourist hot spot! Beach is beautiful, lots of galleries and trinket shops. Good food, good vibes. What more do you want.

Ecola State Park (Spend: 15-30min) off highway 101: 10min
Amazing drive though a curvy wooded wildness! Once you reach the top, you have a breathtaking view of the coastline. Don't forget to check out the terrible tilly lighthouse. approx 3 miles out in the water and sits atop a haystack rock.
Parking is expensive ($5 per visit). The drive alone was worth it!

Keep in mind that oswald, warrenton/ fort stevens, ecola, hug point and cannon beach are all within 5-10min of each other (daisy chain). so from warrenton (end) to cannon beach (end) you're looking at about 20-30min max drive. You can bang out all these locations above in about 3-4 hours. Check out the oregon coastal map for more info.

have a great trip!
Old 04-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The PCH is an amazing drive... and I only did the stretch from SF to LA. I had heard that the bit from Oregon down to California is outstanding but did not have enough time unfortunately.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

As stated above, Hug point, Oswald state park, Canon beach and Ecola park are good places to check out (and I've been there too)
speediandy is offline   Reply With Quote