REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
haha... I have the BMO travel Mastercard... no charges.. I just load the money onto the whenever I need it, via my phone is pretty much instant.. so if I need something online or requires a credit card, its not a problem...

This was I can control my spending...
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I already make zero large purchases in Canada. I save too much money shopping online in America.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
While a lot of people are claiming that this will drive them away from buying things because purchases will become more expensive, what this really means is that Visa and Mastercard and AmEx will have to cut back on their charges (and most likely benefits) in order to maintain the relative level-ness of the playing field in terms of card-based payment types.

In Canada, we're actually very lucky because the banks and government were smart enough to set up Interac. A lot of people complained because for the longest time we couldn't use our cards online--but how many businesses say "cash & debit only"? Because Interac charges a flat fee regardless of how large the purchase is (a much more logical method of charging a 'processing fee'), whereas credit cards get a minimum charge as well as a percent. Imagine if this were The States, where all chequing cards are processed by Visa and Mastercard; imagine then how many businesses would be straight-up cash only.

Points and cash back are awesome rewards, don't get me wrong--but it's not like these companies are giving out free money. That money has to come from somewhere, and if that money weren't coming out, then who's to say the system wouldn't be more efficient?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I thought Credit Card charges the vendor %? Or is there a minimum charge per transaction?
The rate varies depending on the card. premium cards charge more. small shops also pay more than large chains.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I thought Credit Card charges the vendor %? Or is there a minimum charge per transaction?
each business negotiates their own deals with banks and each bank/cc has a different advertised rate and different cards = different pricing schemes

alotta places dont take amex because they demand an even higher rate
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I'll be the first to say:

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE TRYING TO COMPARE OURSELVES TO AUSTRALIA?! THE FUCKING MOST EXPENSIVE PLACE ON THE GODDAMN PLANET?!!?!?!

Fuck, businesses are ALREADY raising their prices to reflect the drop in taxes (because of losing the HST) and now I might get hit with a 10% surcharge because businesses are passing the buck to me?

My response: FUCK YOU

The moment this happens, I'm at the bank changing my chequeing account over to get more debit transactions (only 10/month currently) and putting my fucking CC in a drawer.
No kidding. So much for prices going down. My flight school raised prices on April 1st and when I bitched about it they said "oh you won't tell the difference." No shit, the money I was supposed to be saving with less tax is now offset by the increased pricing. Total BS. There was NO reason for them to up the hourly rental and instructor fee based on how much they already charge + the fuel surcharge fee already in place. And this place is supposed to be a "non for profit" club. Yeah.. right.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Don't you think many places already add the cost into the price.
they probably do, but what really rustles my jimmies is when i insert my card and the machine says "blahblahblah extra fee"

aka vendors at SFU
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I already make zero large purchases in Canada. I save too much money shopping online in America.
i'm surprised at how often i shop on amazon.com.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
good, maybe this will make people only spend on the money they actually have
I charge a lot on my credit card every month, basically anything I can pay by credit card that is over say $20.00 I do. I have never in my life paid one penny in interest and I've had credit cards for 19 years.

It has nothing with not being able to afford something, it has to do with convenience, points and being able to track purchases easily. If they bring in extra charges I'll switch to debit for everything, I'll still be able to track but I will lose on things like Avion points.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #35
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Why? Brick and mortar in the States already has a tough enough time keeping up with online...what chance do Canadian retailers have when our prices are higher and now they want to pull this bullshit on us?

Sorry if you're losing money but it's not responsibility to make sure you adapt your way out of a dying business model. If I have to choose between helping Canadian businesses with their bottom line and my own bottom line, I'm going with my own wallet every time.

And before you say it takes a long time, driving to Point Roberts takes me 20 minutes tops, I save $25 on a tank of gas and they have fucking awesome chocolate milk...so it's wins all around.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #36
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^
exactly! and paying stuff with my BlackBerry is so cool!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
I don't get it

Burning the cards if this happens. Shorting visa/mastercard stocks as well.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I'm just going to use my cc as normal until this happens and then its bye bye visa. might as well cash my points out at that time and use my plane tickets for a good vacation
Posted via RS Mobile
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #39
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
lol If this happens it will only drive me to even spend less. Most likely I will just buy everything from the states or from Hong Kong (Relatives comes back a few times a year anyways so is no hassle for them to bring stuff back).

This just means Canadian business will be worse off than it is now. I can't even remember the last time I spend anything over $100 in Canada....... expect my yoga membership. Laptop was from Amazon, Nexus4 from google play store. Ipad mini from apple website....... LOL I even started asking co-workers to buy some food for me while he visit the states because their price is way cheaper and some stuff actually taste better.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #40
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
everyone here uses debit cards
My Mastercard doubles as a debit card. Since you have to enter a PIN nowadays anyway, it's no different...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #41
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Visa and mastercard keep raising their fees for small business. Why should a small business pay for your points to travel?

I mean 2-3% is bad enough, but they want to raise it to 6%. it never ends. Its not a good model to charge the customer but its all visa and mastercards fault. Do you know how much money they make when you use your credit cards? If they weren't so greedy this would have never came up. Its a bad situation all around. I wouldn't blame small business though, its not their greed that is creating this.

And you can keep going on about the states and how its so much cheaper. But its also WAY cheaper to run a business in the states and i have a feeling their merchant fees are also lower. Its hard to compete with US prices when canadian businesses have to pay more for products than they do in the states. Its all the taxes, high lease rates etc. Everyone loses in the end - I try to buy local whenever I can, although I will admit I do shop in the states here and there for better selection. Everyone only cares about their own wallet at the end of the day I guess.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #42
...in the world.

I don't blame them either but it doesn't change the end result...me not buying from small businesses.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #43
xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Yep I was on amazon.ca and was about to buy a messenger bag. I then decided to check amazon.com instead for the same bag and was able to save $50 even after factoring shipping, duties, and currency conversion.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #44
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanks govt, this has stimulated me to purchase something.

An Amazon Prime subscription
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #45
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I don't blame them either but it doesn't change the end result...me not buying from small businesses.
Yah I guess alot of people think the same way. Its stupid though because we are putting money into the states and not our own country. At the end of the day its the government/laws/taxes that cause the high prices. viscous cycle. Alot of people think Canadian businesses are "ripping them off" with high prices since its way cheaper in the states. But you can't sell things below your own cost or make pennies off a sale.

Bottom line BC's cost of living is too high. Most people are on tight budgets and they need to save money to pay the bills, mortgage, car payments. So we find anyway to save.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #46
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I charge a lot on my credit card every month, basically anything I can pay by credit card that is over say $20.00 I do. I have never in my life paid one penny in interest and I've had credit cards for 19 years.

It has nothing with not being able to afford something, it has to do with convenience, points and being able to track purchases easily. If they bring in extra charges I'll switch to debit for everything, I'll still be able to track but I will lose on things like Avion points.
I'm exactly the same way as you except I charge everything to my credit card regardless of the price. I pay it all off at the end of the month so they don't earn a penny of interest from me. I carry $20 cash with me in my wallet as a backup, that's it.

If this goes down, looks like it'll be all debit.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acurael View Post
I try to buy local whenever I can, although I will admit I do shop in the states here and there for better selection. Everyone only cares about their own wallet at the end of the day I guess.
I used to think that way too, try to buy local when possible but the pricing slowly and surely seemed to pull further apart....i'd say fuck it...i got nothing for my loyalty to show for. In this economy, everyone is going to save their own wallet for sure.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #48
I came, I saw, I conquered.

Any idea when this will be implemented?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #49
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,497 Times in 4,892 Posts
The Chinese restaurants got it right from day one......... CASH ONLY!

I pay my credit cards in full each month and take advantage of the points I earn. If shit happens, I'll just pay cash. Like a model, elderly Asian, I always carry plenty of cash with me.

The average consumer has to wisen up. Frickin' banks will always want to poke you up the ass. Nickel and dime you on everything, because a nickel or dime from everybody translates into millions of dollars of profit for them.

The problem is, there are plenty of suckers out there and the banks know it. If consumers were more frugal and attentive, the banks wouldn't be so cocky.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #50
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

The thing is, will we know when this will be implemented? The prices might slightly rise up. Maybe instead of 28,99 it's going to be 29,99. Will you remember that particular item was 1$ less? 95% of the population won't notice.

As for me, I have no problem with no CC. I never carry balance. I however, do like the fact that I use my CC for EVERYTHING, even when buying a pack of gum. Why? I don't have to deal with change. I hate change and can't stand it.

Tho I guess it won't be much difference just paying with my debit card.
Messerschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote