REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #301
Zombie Mod

Thanked 3,081 Times in 843 Posts
Failed 94 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
alright so I'll be picking up at XFX 7950 tomorrow for $200, along with an old PC with a 700w PSU and some ram for $150.
(keep in mind that I don't need to worry about power consumption since... I get it for free haha)

can i expect this setup to maybe pump up 500 or so khash?
is that number realistic? if it is how many coins can I expect to pump out a week?
(Computer has 2GB DDR2, Athlon X2 CPU of sorts, and currently running a 8600GT)
You may want to upgrade that RAM to 4GB. I had trouble with thread-concurrency settings of 12000+ when I moved my 7870 from a 4GB machine to 2GB. I have a Gigabyte 7950, and it's running 680khash average. OC'd to 1141/1400, I:19. It runs hot, though. So, make sure you have adequate airflow/cooling.

Well, I guess mining is a good excuse for upgrading. Along with new GPUs, I've purchased a new PSU, and have a case on the way. This is the most I've geeked out in a long time

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #302
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 2,795 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 507 Times in 149 Posts
haha the thing is in half a year I'm going to either A) sell this stuff for cheap or B) ship just the card back to myself in Canada or Hong Kong

I don't want to put too much money into it - just enough to mine some coin before the prices and difficulty goes anywhere
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #303
I keep RS good

Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,031 Posts
Failed 418 Times in 161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I was going to say exactly what the top post said - this is an AMA about gambling addiction, not bitcoin.

But yes, putting money into bitcoin or any investment is like gambling. So don't gamble more than you can afford to lose. Don't try to use it to get out of debt, for instance.
it ain't gambling if you use logical strategies that are preplanned and don't trade on emotion... or add onto losing positions like that guy did.

lol. everyone that's never traded before, that made a lot of money on bitcoins were just lucky to be at the right place at the right time. but too bad they're super inexperienced traders, i bet a lot of them gave it all back plus more. it's all about money management.

like any market, the people with better money management will eat all the other players. making money is only half the game.

that guy is a mathematician, and thought he had the edge, but he forgot to factor in the human element... his primal self.
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #304
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
Which Pools are you guys in?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #305
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,395 Posts
Failed 1,376 Times in 342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3an View Post
I'm also looking to try Somthing else other than coinotron once I get over 10 again
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #306
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3an View Post
Give-Me-LTC. I think I like their reward system more than PPS pools (Pay Per Share), like Coinotron. Give Me LTC uses PPLNS (Pay Per Last N Shares):
Quote:
First of all, if you’re talking about PPLNS it’s important to understand how it works. PPLNS is short for “Pay Per Last N Shares”. The current proportional reward system is round based. One round is the time between the first share after the last found block and the share which solves a block. PPLNS however means that we no longer consider valid shares of one round, but we consider a number N of shares, no matter if they’re apart of the round or not. The number N is currently for each blockchain twice the difficulty (actually rounded down to an easy to calculate integer value).
Let me illustrate PPLNS using the image below. One round has an arbitrary number of shares which is solely based on sheer luck. On proportional reward system only shares of one round are considered for calculating rewards. However with PPLNS, a quite constant number N of shares is considered for calculating rewards. This number N changes only with the difficulty. Please have a look at the image below:

As you know the number of shares needed to solve a block within a round is different. Round one and three needed (difficulty * 2)shares to be solved. Round two and four are quite short rounds. There were less than (difficulty * 2) shares necessary to solve them. Round five however is a very long round which means the pool needed more than (difficulty * 2) shares to solve the block. From this follows that:
Rounds one and three are like proportional rounds. All of your shares from the given round are considered for reward calculations
For rounds two and four, shares from the previous rounds are considered for calculations as well (marked green). In other words: regardless of round boundaries we always consider the last (difficulty * 2) shares. Your portion of the amount of shares is used to calculate your reward.
Round five however is very long. In this round your lowermost shares (within the marked red part) are silently dropped if they are not within the last (difficulty * 2) shares.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #307

Questions for you guys who actively trade

A) how long does it take for me to deposit LTC in my BTC-e account from my wallet? Is that like an instant process or an hour or a day?

B) do trades happen quickly once initiated on BTC-e?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #308

I'm in Ozcoin
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #309

is it secure to have funds just sitting in your account on BTC-E?

or should you always withdraw them to your wallet?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #310
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 1,121 Times in 382 Posts
Failed 412 Times in 110 Posts
swapped my gtx580 for a 7970, went from 20kh/s to 700kh/s, i think i have everything up and running properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #311
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 13,452 Times in 4,136 Posts
Failed 1,049 Times in 370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
is it secure to have funds just sitting in your account on BTC-E?

or should you always withdraw them to your wallet?
I would! It's your money, be responsible with it. These exchanges are targets for massive DDOS strikes. And BTC-e is a bit sketchy anyway
Old 04-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #312

getting 500khash/s on a machine I spent 350 on
probably need to spend another 10 since the cooling seems a bit shit on the GPU (needs new paste maybe?)

edit: running it full power wasn't a smart idea, it hit 105 degrees and then BSOD...
for now I have it underclocked to 700mhz (Stock 900) to keep it holding a steady 75-ish degree temperature

still doing about 300khash/s, not too bad

in other words..
800 shares accepted... 1 stale wohoo

edit2: Where are you guys getting your hash rates from? from guiminer readout or from the pool website? the two figures vary by quite a large margin...
also can someone quickly explain to me the significance of "Thread Concurrency" and "intensity"... I've tried googling day in and day out for a good explanation of the two terms with regards to litecoin mining to no avail. TIA!

Last edited by Amuro Ray; 04-20-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #313
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
edit2: Where are you guys getting your hash rates from? from guiminer readout or from the pool website? the two figures vary by quite a large margin...
also can someone quickly explain to me the significance of "Thread Concurrency" and "intensity"... I've tried googling day in and day out for a good explanation of the two terms with regards to litecoin mining to no avail. TIA!
TC is how big a chunk of work your GPU can do. The readme recommends using --shaders instead, but I stuck with just using TC. Intensity is how hard you want to allow the GPU to work. Generally, the higher the setting, the higher your hash rate. When mine is set to 19, I can not do anything on my PC except mine. If I dial it back to 12, I can do everything on my system except play games.

I believe the pool determines your hash rate based on the rate it receives your shares. GUIminer is the UI for CGminer. If you go to the console tab of GUIminer, after starting mining, you should see the command and variables it uses to execute CGminer. Copy and paste that to a batch file, and run that. You're also able to adjust your GPU overclock settings in that interface. The first two lines give a lot more information than what GUIminer displays.

Decoder Sheet
Quote:
The output line shows the following:
(5s):1713.6 (avg):1707.8 Mh/s | A:729 R:8 HW:0 U:22.53/m WU:22.53/m

Each column is as follows:
5s: A 5 second exponentially decaying average hash rate
avg: An all time average hash rate
A: The number of Accepted shares
R: The number of Rejected shares
HW: The number of HardWare errors
U: The Utility defined as the number of shares / minute
WU: The Work Utility defined as the number of diff1 shares work / minute
(accepted or rejected).

GPU 1: 73.5C 2551RPM | 427.3/443.0Mh/s | A:8 R:0 HW:0 U:4.39/m

Each column is as follows:
Temperature (if supported)
Fanspeed (if supported)
A 5 second exponentially decaying average hash rate
An all time average hash rate
The number of accepted shares
The number of rejected shares
The number of hardware erorrs
The utility defines as the number of shares / minute

The cgminer status line shows:
ST: 1 SS: 0 NB: 1 LW: 8 GF: 1 RF: 1 WU:4.4/m

ST is STaged work items (ready to use).
SS is Stale Shares discarded (detected and not submitted so don't count as rejects)
NB is New Blocks detected on the network
LW is Locally generated Work items
GF is Getwork Fail Occasions (server slow to provide work)
RF is Remote Fail occasions (server slow to accept work)
WU is Work Utility (Rate of difficulty 1 shares solved per minute)
Attached Images
File Type: png cgminersc.PNG (20.5 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Give-Me-LTC. I think I like their reward system more than PPS pools (Pay Per Share), like Coinotron. Give Me LTC uses PPLNS (Pay Per Last N Shares):
cant seem to get givemeLTC working?

my config seems all right but it wont start mining hmm what is your host and port when using it?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #315
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
cant seem to get givemeLTC working?

my config seems all right but it wont start mining hmm what is your host and port when using it?
Using the Stratum host:
stratum.give-me-ltc.com:3333

Here is my cgminer command-line:
cgminer.exe --scrypt -u prest0x.1 -p x -o stratum+tcp://stratum.give-me-ltc.com:3333 -w 256 -v 1 -I 19 -l 2 --thread-concurrency 23000
Old 04-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #316

thanks for the help presto you are awesome!

I'm doing all the overclocking via Catalyst control panel right now
and just to clarify: the hash rate on the website is inaccurate? so I should be looking at the rate that my miner is giving correct?

Last edited by Amuro Ray; 04-20-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #317

my guiminer reports a constant 700kh/s where as coinotron reports 300-900kh/s

ive been mining for 1 and a half days and so far i got 3LTC, is that a good rate?
Quote:
Quote:
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #318

That's pretty good I mined 10 with coinotron over like a week

Getting about 420 hash rate whole time but I usually only mine when I'm at work and when I'm sleeping
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #319
Zombie Mod

Ah crap! Here comes the warm weather. Time to buy more case fans!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #320
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone want to buy some feathercoin?

1000FC @ 25LTC
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #321
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,417 Times in 332 Posts
Failed 964 Times in 179 Posts
hmmmm...has anyone reviewed this for mining yet?

AMD unleashes Radeon HD 7990: A dual-GPU graphics card beast | PCWorld

[18-10, 12:59] Mr.Money i seen a hawt japanese women puke on a guy in a gas mask & spandex suit.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #322
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
yea one of the guys over at bitcointalk did a writeup about it and said its better to just go buy 2 7970s unless you are really tight for space
Old 04-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #323

based on performance alone, the 7990 is on par or ever so slightly better than 2X7790, so at $1000 a card, i think ur better off running 2 7970 or even 3
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #324

So LTC been holding steady around 4 for the last week or so, $4 the new $2?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #325

bump!!

is anyone giving Feathercoin a try?
Difficulty is really low right now... my main mining rig is going at it right now as a test run but I'm not sure if it'll be worth anything...