REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
Putting money aside for a short term?

I'm looking for some sort of savings account for putting aside money gradually until September. Start up will be $1K and Im planning to transfer $700 per paycheck into that account.

I'm looking into CIBC right now because they have a short term GIC account. Are there any other you guys recommend?
Advertisement
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Depends on your needs. If I was in your situation, I would consider President's Choice just because of the free transactions, higher interest rates and just because it's convenient since I get my grocery & gas there.

President's Choice Financial|today's great rates|

But if you need the face-to-face interaction of a teller, then you'll need to stick with the big 5 banks. My main account is with TD and I have a negligible amount of money with President's Choice. Highly recommend getting TD's Select Service account if the perks apply to you. You'll need $5k in the chequing account though.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
ING direct has 2.5% interest rates when you open new accounts until the end of june. Regular interest rate is 1.35% I believe, and interest is accrued monthly.

You could start putting money in a TFSA, or an ISA. I remember they were doing a promotion before where you got 50$ for opening an account but i'm not sure if they're doing that anymore.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
coast capital! free high interest savings account. no transaction fees or anything whatsoever.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Who's naughty? I___i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Depends on your needs. If I was in your situation, I would consider President's Choice just because of the free transactions, higher interest rates and just because it's convenient since I get my grocery & gas there.

President's Choice Financial|today's great rates|

But if you need the face-to-face interaction of a teller, then you'll need to stick with the big 5 banks. My main account is with TD and I have a negligible amount of money with President's Choice. Highly recommend getting TD's Select Service account if the perks apply to you. You'll need $5k in the chequing account though.
+1 on PC financial high interest saving, I just put 1k in there and it's been growing nicely
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 5,158 Times in 579 Posts
This would be just for short term though, so when I take the bulk of the money out in September, I wouldn't get charged any fees?
Chronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronix View Post
This would be just for short term though, so when I take the bulk of the money out in September, I wouldn't get charged any fees?
Not for PC. Can't say about ING or Coast Capital.

One thing to note is that you have to transfer your funds from your savings account to your chequing account before 9pm the night before you want to withdraw. It's my only gripe with PCF, otherwise I've been very happy with having them as my primary bank.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
+1 for coast capital. When they say free they really mean it. No fees whatsoever.
Unlimited transactions/deposits/withdrawals whatever
Not sure if interest is really that high, but it's called 'high interest'. Research yourself

Only con is depending on where you live, branches are not everywhere. Richmond there are tons but vancouver there's one at metro and and Broadway that I know of (may be more). Burnaby there's one at Edmonds and kingsway.

However you can also use any HSBC (maybe bmo too I think) ATM to deposit and withdraw with no fees whatsoever, if you don't need a teller. Of course.
Posted via RS Mobile
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote