REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
RBC replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers

Quote:
RBC replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers
Axed employee blows whistle; federal government investigating

Dozens of employees at Canada’s largest bank are losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers, who are in Canada to take over the work of their department.

“They are being brought in from India, and I am wondering how they got work visas,” said Dave Moreau, one of the employees affected by the move. “The new people are in our offices and we are training them to do our jobs. That adds insult to injury.”
RBC replaces Canadian staff with foreign workers - British Columbia - CBC News
Advertisement
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quite a shocker considering the rules against it wonder how this will play out

given that the Harper govt. allows foreign workers to be paid less Im not entirely surprised

Last edited by StylinRed; 04-07-2013 at 02:05 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

// RANT -> FUCK RBC, I fcking hate them period. These guys are the largest company in canada and stuff like this just makes me detest big corporations even more.

My family and I had a large amount of money at Ally Financial. My parents are seniors, they will be retiring and cant invest in ETFs, growth orientated stocks, and need safe liquid, secure assets, so they have money at Ally financial.

RBC recently bought out Ally and officially fucked all the ally customers by closing all the high-interest savings accounts and dropped the rates in line with regular retail saving account rates (1.1%~).

Honestly, what the fuck happened to competitive markets where companies have to compete.? These days a few large companies seem to have all the power over the political system with all their lobbyings and it's basically a monopoly/oligopoly. why arent competition bureaus or anti-trust departments in Canada not doing anything? Look at our cell phone companies for example.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 20 years as companies make record profit but unemployment rates, poverty, income and wealth gap rates keep going higher.

// end rant.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
didn't they reject a whole shit load of Chinese mine workers for the mine at Tumble Ridge because there was in fact local people willing to do the work? this RBC example is 10x worse
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I stopped banking with RBC years ago because of the 'fees'. I hope more people take their money elsewhere because of this stupid move.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
RBC had shitty customer service to begin with...can't really see this improving their service...gg

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Why are we trying to ruin Canada?

I know...that sounds fucking bold, and melodramatic, but hear me out.

Bear with me, as a lot of my 'Canada' experience was from deep in the East Coast, and we had a pretty different vibe going back there.

We were never trying to be Americans. We laugh and we point, and we carry on. We do our own thing. We were protectionist of our industry, and we had canadian content rules so that you could name a music artist as Canadian.

We didn't make as much money as Americans. We knew that. No one really seemed to care though. If you did, you looked into moving to the US. Made sense.

But I feel in the last 15 years, we've started to lose that a little bit. Sure, we are forced to over pay on cell phones, but we're starting to fuck ourselves for money. And that makes me sad.

Hiring foreign workers...RBC isn't the first.
The whole oil thing is as American as you can get.
Environmental protection is moving in the completely wrong direction.

Am I right?

Are we selling out?

I don't ever want to say to RBC, or any other company, "oh, you can't outsource" because as a private institution, they can make the calls, but to let go of employees and truck in foreign workers...well, you can do that to a LOT of industry. Ever see the ship breakers in India...do you think those guys say no to much in the way of work?

I don't think I like what I see.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
I left RBC because of that stupid fucktard mascot of their's... the dumbass with the bowler hat. j/k

I do most of my banking with PC. Banks are banks, but PC is the lesser of all evils.

As for replacing workers with foreign counterparts, that doesn't make sense. The negative publicity they will get is not worth it. Unless they are testing the waters to see what they can get away with (nickel and dime).

From their website:

Quote:
As one of the world's most highly rated financial institutions, we are committed to delivering excellent long-term returns to our shareholders.
Makes sense......... shareholders don't give a rat's ass about this country or anyone else. Perhaps it's time for consumers to voice their opinions by boycotting the fokkers - switch banks to a more ethical one. Afterall, money talks, bullshit walks.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
RBC had shitty customer service to begin with...can't really see this improving their service...gg
The big banks all have terrible service, at least in my experience.

My business will always be given to Credit Unions.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

In the US a lot of people switched to credit unions when Occupy was gaining steam; it was called "Bank Transfer Day".

Up here I used to bank with big banks because they weren't as bad as Bank of America or Chase in the states, but that slowly changed and now my allegiance is to Vancity. No minimum balance until I turn 26 (and then it's only $1000) and NO FEES! The only problem is bank branches are sporadically located but I can go to any other CU with no fees. "Ding Free" as the annoying commercials say.

Anyway to the story. The foreign worker stuff is the reason why BC unemployment spiked. Employers are desperate to find workers but don't want to pay Canadian wages, CPP, income tax, etc. Similar shit happened at those Indian film awards that Christy dropped $12 million on. It's greed, pure and simple.

BBL

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 04-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Big WTF.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
I don't get it

good thing the government seems to be stepping in to help the canadians.

"Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says that under federal rules, no foreign worker can be allowed into Canada if the move displaces a Canadian from their job."

i use td. so when i went to rbc to do a 3rd party transaction, it was quite different. it kinda bothered me when i went to the rbc across from rc that i was standing up talking while the teller was sitting on those computer chair/stools. so i have to look down on them a bit. not a big deal.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Closing my acct with RBC and moving to VanCity.
RBC have gone to shit for the lest 10years I was just too lazy to actually switch but with this I will switch for sure.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

Shitty service for sure. Credit union is the way to go. My family members and I will be closing our RBC accounts. I encourage you all to do the same.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a00755836 View Post
good thing the government seems to be stepping in to help the canadians.

"Immigration Minister Jason Kenney says that under federal rules, no foreign worker can be allowed into Canada if the move displaces a Canadian from their job."

i use td. so when i went to rbc to do a 3rd party transaction, it was quite different. it kinda bothered me when i went to the rbc across from rc that i was standing up talking while the teller was sitting on those computer chair/stools. so i have to look down on them a bit. not a big deal.
Saying and doing something about is different. All I see is talk but no action is taken. I don't beleive the gov till I see action which is many cases never happens.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

"Lesser of evils"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I left RBC because of that stupid fucktard mascot of their's... the dumbass with the bowler hat. j/k

I do most of my banking with PC. Banks are banks, but PC is the lesser of all evils.
Wanna know why grocery stores/retail outlets have credit cards? They sell your "big data" to other institutions. There was a big expose in the UK where Tesco's (a huge grocery chain similar to Superstore here), started issuing credit cards (but the real bank behind it is always a normal bank). They track your spending habits -- if you are buying the organic top range shit, they think you're a solid customer, whereas if you are buying crappier foods, the computer algorithms signal that you could possibly default etc.
The underlying bank for PC Financial is actually just CIBC lol.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Time to fire up the "Humongous Bank" credit union ads of the late 90s.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Yes, you can use PC Financial cards at CIBC ATMs as well, for those that didn't know already. However, the clerk at CIBC cannot help you.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

There must be severely limited communication between HRSDC and CIC and oversight on both their parts for this to have happened.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Banks don't care.

Quote:
In February, RBC told Moreau and his colleagues 45 of their jobs with the regulatory and financial applications team would be terminated at the end of April.

“I am going to be broke," he said. "I don’t have enough money to live on. I have some RSPs. I have very little in the pension plan at RBC … I have a wife that works part time at a very low wage.”
And meanwhile

RBC tops analysts

Quote:
Royal’s overall first-quarter net income was up by $215 million to $2.07 billion, or $1.36 per share, on revenue of $7.9 billion.
Quote:
Gord Nixon, Royal Bank’s chief executive officer, received a pay increase to $12.6 millionlast year after taking a pay cut to $10.1 million in 2011.

Personally I think the world needs to listen to Kid President:

Quote:
And if life is a game aren’t we all on the same team. I mean really, right? I’m on your team, you’re on my team.
Then sad stories like this would never happen.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
lol...On banks. I deal with BMO.

My first account was opened when I was 12. Then checking at 19. Then I go in to open a business account....

"well, there will be a 5 business day hold on all deposits for a length of time"

They explain that its a new account and new accounts all get this treatment. So I tell them, "new account, yes. Old me. I've been here since I was 12. Isn't this what we're supposed to do? Life changes, and we step up into different accounts and such?"

"Yeah, I see, you've been here a long time. And?"

I was so mad. Thankfully, I was doing regular work for a client and he worked with me on giving me smaller checks more frequently so I could get through the hold period.

Then, as I wasn't working in downtown as much, I switched it to a different branch. Went though everything, had all the files duplicated and such.

"so, that will be a 5 day hold"

Like hell it will. I went to my branch downtown, and they loaded my computer file with explicit instructions of hold free banking.

I go in again, and I get, "oh. That will be a 5 day hold."

"Um, you are going to need to bring your manager over. I'm about to make a scene."

She's a cow, for one. I have her scroll through the file, and the look on her face was priceless.

"yes. We'll deposit that for you immediately"

"I thought you would. I'd also like to never have this conversation again. Make that happen"

Everyone at that branch knows me now!

I do keep meaning to switch out to a credit union. They are better, but not great. We deal with Vancity for some work deposits, and I like it, but I'm not in love with it. There are a couple tellers that love to hassle me over checks...I finally told one the other day that she's depositing it. Yeah, I'll risk it being returned.

I must admit, I am tired of getting letters from BMO telling me this fee is increasing, and this service is being eliminated and so on. And I found it really weird that on my business account, I have to specify it as primary cash, or primary check, and if you deposit more than allowed of the opposite, I get charged. Like, I'm supposed to know what my random clients wish to pay with?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Beyond sad and what makes it worse is this is how racism starts....
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

i use TD canada trust. at least when they screw up, they at least admit it, say sorry and try to fix it. RBC i get the sorry too bad so sad.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
This isn't the only company doing this. In the airline sector Sunwing airlines has been hiring German pilots for years. I believe AirTransat just announced they will be doing something similar. Their excuse is they can't find qualified personnel. That is just BS, they just aren't prepared to pay for them.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
TD has been good to me and they have the best hours of any bank. Even open on Sundays at some locations.