REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Wedding Planning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682667-wedding-planning.html)

Special K 04-07-2013 02:45 PM

Wedding Planning

Proposed and she said Yes :D

I am looking to see whether you have had experience with local wedding vs. destination wedding. I did some preliminary research and it suggests that a destination wedding would cost less because there would be less guests to accomendate. What would you prefer (as an organizer or guest) and why?

The planned date is sometime in May-July 2014.

I am also looking for photographer. RS have some professionals - shoot me a PM if you are interested and your costs/plan :D

smoothie. 04-07-2013 02:48 PM

go to vegas.

save $$
??
profit.

Special K 04-07-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8206090)
go to vegas.

save $$
??
profit.

I am thinking destination wedding in Hawaii.
Posted via RS Mobile

Selanne_200 04-07-2013 02:58 PM

If you're thinking of may next year, you need to decide on local or destination wedding soon, since popular local venues will often require to start booking 9 months ahead of your preferred day

punkwax 04-07-2013 03:01 PM

Why are you asking RS? Ask your bride-to-be what she wants for her wedding day. In all likelihood she's been thinking about her big day for a long time.

Do that.

Congrats by the way.

Edit:

My wife and I kinda did both, small immediate family ceremony on the beach locally; then off to Mayan Riviera for destination wedding (but legally married here, so did vow renewal package). We then rented a hall at Crescent Beach for a big bash for friends and family who missed out on the other events.

Special K 04-07-2013 03:10 PM

We are brainstorming ideas and options. RS is one of the places I usually do my research.. :)

Edit: So it seems like there would be multiple parties depending on family preferences and friends. We won't be doing an Asian banquet thing. Does this mean we would get no "gifts"? :okay:
Posted via RS Mobile

kleensleper 04-07-2013 03:17 PM

Not a cheap option by any means....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8206092)
I am thinking destination wedding in Hawaii.
Posted via RS Mobile

fliptuner 04-07-2013 03:24 PM

What's your totall budget, all in?

If local, do you want a hall, restaurant, buffet? Open bar?

Have to factored in photo, video, dj, transport costs?

Who's paying for the tux rentals and bridesmaid dresses?

How many guests here/away?

You're missing a lot of info, dude.

Alby 04-07-2013 03:33 PM

just to give u an idea, i did a traditional chinese wedding. we used QE park and dinner was at gingeri in lansdowne with about 150 guests. all in all, the total cost was about 25k. any wedding, local or destination, is as cheap as you want it and as expensive as you want it. make a budget, make a list of stuff thats essential for you and your fiance and go on from there.

winson604 04-07-2013 04:34 PM

My opinion is to not go too crazy balling it out for the wedding and shift some of the money towards a sick honey moon. I'm not saying cheap out on everything but I've seen too many couples go nuts on the wedding only to settle for a half assed honey moon because they ran out of money.

hud 91gt 04-07-2013 04:36 PM

Simply Stated - For all your wedding & event planning needs!

New accredited wedding planner with specialties in local and destination weddings.

4444 04-07-2013 05:01 PM

Just remember, whenever anything is 'wedding', price goes up, so order flowers, not wedding flowers, etc, that is, assuming a flower is a flower

Special K 04-07-2013 05:14 PM

Subject to checking with her, I think we would be looking to do:

$15k-18k budget
50-70 guests if local (Not many relatives, mostly friends and colleagues)
20-25 guests if destination
We pay for tux/dress rentals
This budget would include photo, transport, not overly fancy food.

Honeymoon budget separate. We know where we want to go.
Posted via RS Mobile

Special K 04-07-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8206132)
just to give u an idea, i did a traditional chinese wedding. we used QE park and dinner was at gingeri in lansdowne with about 150 guests. all in all, the total cost was about 25k. any wedding, local or destination, is as cheap as you want it and as expensive as you want it. make a budget, make a list of stuff thats essential for you and your fiance and go on from there.

How big was your QE ceremony? Cost?
Posted via RS Mobile

MG1 04-07-2013 05:51 PM

Some advice for what it's worth......

Whatever you do, go nuts on the food.

After 30+ years of marriage, the one thing people still talk about (my wedding) is the food. Open bar, lots and lots of food........ a fricken feast it was. They will forget what song was playing during the first dance, how hot the bridesmaids were, how handsome the groom was, how utterly stupid the MC was, etc. The thing people will never forget is the food.

Next to that is how fricken drunk the groom gets. One wedding I will never forget... the groom got so shit faced, people started to leave. That is number one no, no. Wedding is all about the bride. Never forget that.

dinosaur 04-07-2013 07:18 PM

Remember....its only one day so don't go crazy! Costs add up FAST so keep the budget in-check if you want to stay under 18k.

Nice dress, good food, good music, good people. That is all you needs. Flowers die, decorations are thrown out, you only need 5 good photos (not 1000), nobody eats the cake, and programs, save-the-dates, and invitations are only looked at once.

Make is simple, make decisions fast, and don't let it occupy every thought, discussion, dream, and argument for the next 13-14 months.

Destinations wedding can be great but you are asking 20-25 people to take YOUR vacation...not there's. Costs add up (because, lets face it, you aren't going to be staying in a budget resort) and you are asking a lot from your guests. Also, Hawaii ain't cheap! Probably one of the most expensive destination as there are no 'all-inclusive' resorts.

Have you thought about a local destination wedding? My bro got married on Galiano Island at the Galiano Island Resort....was beautiful! and CHEAP!! (under 7k for 80 people)

dvst8 04-07-2013 07:51 PM

Western style wedding = Lose money
Asian style wedding = Break even or profit!
Destination wedding = Lose money but will have the most memorable and fun if all your guest go.

Wife and I did a Chinese banquet in Van and a destination in Hawaii. One of the best experiences.

Alby 04-07-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8206198)
How big was your QE ceremony? Cost?
Posted via RS Mobile

this was in 2010, the price i paid for was about 2.2k. it included minister, a pianist and could accommodate approximately 100 guests.

SoNaRWaVe 04-07-2013 08:02 PM

congrats!

my friend got married in maui. it was a beach front home with a huge property. it was only a small amount of people, probably around 15-20 only. the package he got was around $13k. my local wedding was about 26k.

just keep in mind that if you do do a destination wedding, not everybody will be able to make it. so its better to ask the people that you really want to be there and see how that goes.

keep a checklist and a budget book. don't shy away from it. its easy to say "oh, its just a little more, we can go with that instead" before you know it, your budget will be blown and its harder to start cutting stuff out. oh, and listen to your fiance on what she wants, it will be somewhat more important than what you want lol

panorama shot: Hawaii, United States, Oct 4 2012 by Brian Cheung

some photos:

dinosaur 04-07-2013 08:56 PM

^ wow!! that looks gorgeous!

bcrdukes 04-07-2013 09:02 PM

I hope we're all invited to your wedding. :suspicious:

If not, how rude. :mad:

Spoiler!

quasi 04-07-2013 09:02 PM

If I did it again I would have went to Maui or alike. My wedding was nice but most the people there you don't see very often and half you probably don't even know on a first name basis because they are invited by the other side.

I think a nice little wedding with 15-25 people somewhere you don't normally get to like that photo a few posts up would be really nice.

Special K 04-07-2013 09:41 PM

Interesting comments.

I think my close friends and family will be up for a destination wedding in Hawaii because it gives them an excuse to travel. Most have not been there. Fiance and me loved it there but we are not interested in staying there for honeymoon. It's more like for guests. The beach front home is a good idea! But maybe I need to rethink this. Why should I fork out money for people's vacation? Anyhow...

Local would be nice. We would have to research a little bit more. A hotel package seems convenient but pricey. I looked at Fairmont Pacific Rim for fun and minimum food and beverage is $20,000. :ahwow:
Posted via RS Mobile

SoNaRWaVe 04-07-2013 09:57 PM

you got the right train of thought. if you are to do it say in hawaii, do it because you and your fiance want to. not because it would give other people the excuse to go to hawaii.

if you are to do it locally, i definitely wouldn't go with a package. although more convenient, definitely not cheaper unless you find a stellar deal. if you have plenty of time, you and your fiance can go looking for venues and then stem from there. find your own floral person, your own photographers, a reception or catered event and so on. its a lot of work and the more time you have, the better. needless to say, venues book up fast! since its april already, any prime time venue for next year is either getting booked up fast, if not booked already.

its once in your lifetime thing, take the time and do it your way, and do it right :)

fliptuner 04-07-2013 10:07 PM

You wouldn't be paying for people's vacation if you had it in Hawaii. You would only be expected to pay for the same things you'd pay for here. Typically, it's on the guests to pay for their own flight and accomodations.

Sonar, can you please send me a link to that Maui package? We have access to a bunch of condos in Kihei and Lahaina that would serve as cheaper accomodations for our guest. My gf and I were deciding between there and the Big Island. Thanks