REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Iron Lady has passed away (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682693-iron-lady-has-passed-away.html)

StylinRed 04-08-2013 04:21 AM

The Iron Lady has passed away

BBC News - Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

Quote:

Ex-Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher dies

http://cdn1.thefamouspeople.com/prof...thatcher-1.jpg
Former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher has died at 87 following a stroke, her spokesman has said.

Lord Bell said: "It is with great sadness that Mark and Carol Thatcher announced that their mother Baroness Thatcher died peacefully following a stroke this morning."

Lady Thatcher was Conservative prime minister from 1979 to 1990.

David Cameron called her a "great Briton" and the Queen spoke of her sadness at the death.

Downing Street said Lady Thatcher would be accorded the same status of funeral as the Queen Mother and Princess Diana, but will not lie in state, in accordance with her own wishes.

'Great leader'
Lady Thatcher, born Margaret Roberts, became the Conservative MP for Finchley, north London in 1959, retiring from the Commons in 1992.

Having been education secretary, she successfully challenged former prime minister Edward Heath for her party's leadership in 1975 and won general elections in 1979, 1983 and 1987.

Baroness Thatcher's government privatised several state-owned industries. She was also in power when the UK went to war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands in 1982.

In a statement on the Downing Street Twitter feed, Mr Cameron said: "It was with great sadness that l learned of Lady Thatcher's death. We've lost a great leader, a great prime minister and a great Briton."

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: "The Queen was sad to hear the news of the death of Baroness Thatcher. Her Majesty will be sending a private message of sympathy to the family," it said.

I got to meet her when I was younger, she and my aunt were friends, and she wasn't as cold and hard as she was always portrayed much sweeter than my own grandmother anyway

rip

Zedbra 04-08-2013 05:58 AM

RIP - she knew what she wanted and usually got it done. Seems those days of politics is non-existent.

Soundy 04-08-2013 06:06 AM

Just saw this on the news... Cameron also stated he believed she would go down in history as Britain's greatest peacetime P.M. and that "she didn't just lead Britain... she saved it."

Couldn't have said it better.

BBMme 04-08-2013 07:24 AM

Rip. She did what many couldn't.
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 04-08-2013 07:44 AM

She was one of the first to show that women can hold power and be great doing it. Opened a lot of doors up for the generation after hers.

RIP

BurnoutBinLaden 04-08-2013 07:44 AM

This came as a huge shock. I know people didn't agree with many of her policies. She destroyed the manufacturing/steel/railways industry in the north of England, crippled trades unions and shifted economic focus from manufacturing to real estate and financial speculation-child poverty for example exploded under her reign. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots are an indirect result of Thatcherism.

That being said her resolve to shape Britain was iconic. She took on the Soviets, protected the Falklands and kept Britain out of the Eurozone through sheer determination. Even so I can't say I miss her very much considering the damage she did to her country.

Gridlock 04-08-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8206622)
This came as a huge shock. I know people didn't agree with many of her policies. She destroyed the manufacturing/steel/railways industry in the north of England, crippled trades unions and shifted economic focus from manufacturing to real estate and financial speculation-child poverty for example exploded under her reign. Many feel that the riots of 2011 are an indirect result of Thatcherism.

That being said her resolve to shape Britain was iconic. She took on the Soviets, protected the Falklands and kept Britain out of the Eurozone through sheer determination. Even so I can't say I miss her very much considering the damage she did to her country.

Much the same as America today deals with the repercussions of Reagan. For better or worse, the 80's was a major shift in the belief structure of the free world. It certainly worked to create the idea of the super rich.

Lomac 04-08-2013 10:03 AM

RIP Maggie.

This lady shall be not be turned anymore.

Dragon-88 04-08-2013 10:49 AM

My co-worker is from Ireland, and he is going for a drink at lunchtime to celebrate.

CharlesInCharge 04-08-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 8206587)
Just saw this on the news... Cameron also stated he believed she would go down in history as Britain's greatest peacetime P.M. and that "she didn't just lead Britain... she saved it."

Couldn't have said it better.

What do you think of her now after BurnoutBinLaden's post?

shenmecar 04-08-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8206747)
My co-worker is from Ireland, and he is going for a drink at lunchtime to celebrate.

:badpokerface:

broken_arrow 04-08-2013 12:45 PM

RIP :okay:

Manic! 04-08-2013 12:57 PM

Funny on the a few sites I visit people from outside the U.K. are saying RIP most people living in the U.K. are going to parties and are celebrating.

Graeme S 04-08-2013 01:27 PM

Inb4 politician says "The lady's not for turning, but it's happening in her grave".

124Y 04-08-2013 01:50 PM

RIP :(

HonestTea 04-08-2013 02:51 PM

RIP Iron Lady :(

You will be missed.

Manic! 04-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestTea (Post 8206920)
RIP Iron Lady :(

You will be missed.

Explain how she will be missed?

HonestTea 04-08-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8206949)
Explain how she will be missed?

Well for starters, the British lost a great leader and if you aren't from HK you wouldn't know the history behind it but the HK citizens will miss her a lot because of her action regarding the passover of Hong Kong to China.

And she's the only lady made out of Iron. :lol:

Traum 04-08-2013 03:41 PM

Sigh... :(

RIP, Iron Lady. Throughout my childhood, you were the one and only Big Boss Lady that I knew.

iEatClams 04-08-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8206747)

most of my british friends are actually celebrating. There lot's of negative tweets online about her.

Harvey Specter 04-08-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iEatClams (Post 8206988)
most of my british friends are actually celebrating. There lot's of negative tweets online about her.

Same here, i've seen a quite a few nasty FB status updates from my british friends regrading her death.

I was never a big fan of hers but she's dead now so RIP.

yray 04-08-2013 04:52 PM

Watch an episode on Japanese cars on top gear from the 1980s. You can tell Thatcher saved Britain from forming a national soviet of men standing around garbage can fires. :troll:

But her privatization of BT, British Rail and BP changed the lives of the middle class people for the worse. She had her own way in things which pissed off a lot of people but also made her a great political leader.

NO NO NO speech is just :fullofwin:

"RIP"

Marshall Placid 04-14-2013 01:40 PM

RIP.

Watched her biopic, played by Meryl Streep.

It was a good movie that showed us a lot about the Iron Lady.

If the late Margaret Thatcher was half what the movie showed us, she was a great lady indeed.

StylinRed 04-14-2013 02:10 PM

uhmm the movie apparently cut out most of her bad side... its a movie remember

"ding dong the witch is dead" from wizard of oz soundtrack became the #1 song in the UK again after her passing and there are mass demonstrations celebrating her passing

Bouncing Bettys 04-14-2013 02:12 PM

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...rs-d5f2j91.jpg