REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Mass Stabbing at College (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682788-mass-stabbing-college.html)

StylinRed 04-10-2013 04:15 AM

Mass Stabbing at College

Guess it's not that interesting unless a firearm was involved...but yesterday a student at a Texas campus went on a stabbing spree

Quote:

Suspect in Texas college stabbings had dreams of success, bloodshed, some say
By Catherine E. Shoichet, Joe Sutton and Ben Brumfield CNN

(CNN) -- Dylan Quick overcame a childhood disability and had big plans for the future.
But on Tuesday, the 20-year-old student went on a stabbing spree on his Texas college campus, authorities said.

By the time campus police took him into custody, 14 people had been injured at Lone Star College. It's unclear how many of the injured were stabbed and how many suffered other injuries.

The campus shut down Tuesday, but will reopen Wednesday.

Quick landed in jail. For now, his plans for the future may be in jeopardy.

Overcoming obstacles
Quick was born deaf and received a cochlear implant at age 7, CNN affiliate KPRC reported. An article on how he overcame challenges early in life appeared on a Lone Star student blog the first week of April.

The implant gave him the ability to hear, but he had to play catch-up to learn how to speak English. His mother homeschooled him and got him involved in Lone Star's library programs, when he was a teen, according to KPRC.

Quick became a voracious reader and developed a close connection with the school northwest of Houston, where he later became a student, the affiliate said. He was planning to finish his associate's degree there and transfer to the University of Houston to study accounting.

The young man dreamed of starting a book club. But Quick had also been harboring a darker dream, police said.

Authorities: The rampage was premeditated
Quick told investigators he had fantasies of killing people and had been planning the attack for some time, sheriff's officials said late Tuesday. Quick used "a razor-type knife" to stab his victims, they added.

"According to the statement the suspect voluntarily gave investigators, he has had fantasies of stabbing people to death since he was in elementary school," a statement from the Harris County Sheriff's Office said.

Quick has been charged with three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, said Donna Hawkins of the Harris County Prosecutor's Office.
Two of those injured remained hospitalized in critical condition late Tuesday, said Kathryn Klein, a spokeswoman for the Memorial Hermann Texas Trauma Institute.
Witnesses described a chaotic scene. Bleeding victims collapsed to the ground. Students and teachers ran for cover. Some sprang into action, chasing after the assailant and helping the wounded.

Cassie Foe was in the school's nursing lab when she heard a scream coming from the hallway.

Moments later, the nursing student put her training into action, placing pressure on a wound in a stabbing victim's neck.

"It just seemed like he was just going around, basically getting whoever was more open and easiest for him to reach," Foe told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Tuesday.
Steven Maida said he saw so many people swarming that he thought it was a campus tour. Then, he saw them running and heard someone say, "My friend's been stabbed."

Maida said he saw blood on a stairway and several injured victims.
"I just took off downstairs running," he said. He was looking for the attacker.

Maida described joining a group of students who chased the suspect, tackled him and pinned him down until authorities arrived.
"I couldn't run the other way like everyone else was," he said.

A bloody spree
Harris County Sheriff's Deputy Thomas Gilliland said authorities received an initial report that the suspect had been wrestled to the ground by a student before campus police arrested him.

At least one injured victim had what appeared to be the blade of a box cutter or an X-Acto knife sticking out of her cheek, student Melody Vinton told CNN affiliate KHOU.
Vinton said she had just left her chemistry class when she saw the attacker stabbing people, aiming at their necks and faces.

Soon, she was trying to help victims, ripping a paper towel dispenser off a bathroom wall to get enough paper to help stem the bleeding.
"I turned around, and there was just blood. Just blood dripping down the stairs, all over the floor, all over everyone's towels on their necks. Just a lot of blood," told KHOU.
Lockdown

The school was on lockdown Tuesday afternoon while authorities combed the campus to ensure no other injured people or attackers were there, Harris County sheriff's spokesman Alan Bernstein said.

While authorities investigated, teachers and students huddled together in locked rooms, said Marianna Sviland, a teacher who was in a faculty workroom at the time of the stabbing.
"Outside the window, I saw cops running around. I saw students running, and I realized something was going on," she said. "It was scary."

Four injured victims "were taken out on helicopters," Bernstein said.

Tuesday's incident comes more than two months after three people were wounded in a shooting at a different Lone Star College campus -- the North Harris campus in Houston.
Suspect in Texas college stabbings had dreams of success, bloodshed - CNN.com

The guy
http://media.wfaa.com/images/0409_dylan_quick01.jpg

rsx 04-10-2013 04:18 AM

this guy is just crazy. imagine the damage if he had a combat knife or a machete

SkinnyPupp 04-10-2013 04:32 AM

14 people injured, 0 dead

There's some fuel for the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument :fullofwin:

jack3d 04-10-2013 04:37 AM

ban all knivez

StylinRed 04-10-2013 04:41 AM

I know thankfully he didn't seek other weapons given his supposed planning you think he would have

Im also surprised that he was actually apprehended

too many nutjobs out there

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8208328)

There's some fuel for the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" argument :fullofwin:

I thought for sure the story would be used by the gun debaters but it doesn't seem like it not yet anyway

SkinnyPupp 04-10-2013 04:47 AM

It was brought up a bit before, because pretty much on the day of the Sandy Hook shooting, where 28 people were killed, someone in China went to school and did the same thing with a knife... nobody was killed there either

haymura 04-10-2013 05:13 AM

"In Soviet Russia, people kill knives"

RRxtar 04-10-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

I know what you're saying.

But that is like saying ban all fast cars because drunk drivers drive drunk faster and die harder in fast cars.

Fast cars arent the problem. People driving drunk is the problem.

Guns, and knives, arent the problem. The bat shit crazy lunatic is the problem.

SkinnyPupp 04-10-2013 07:00 AM

Yeah but would you rather have a bat shit crazy lunatic with a gun, or one with a knife?

MG1 04-10-2013 07:42 AM

Arm all teachers and administrators with knives!!!!

NVM knives, the custodian at our elementary school was a martial arts master. His hands were lethal weapons. He would have taken that shithead down in seconds. He would be in the fetal position, crying and begging for mercy.

Guns? No problem, he could probably catch a bullet with his teeth, LOL.

TVD 04-10-2013 09:27 AM

I'm all for strict gun laws but something seems to be missing. People in the States have had easy access to guns forever. What's with the rash of mass shootings within the last 15 years ever since Columbine?

dhari 04-10-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8208366)
Arm all teachers and administrators with knives!!!!

NVM knives, the custodian at our elementary school was a martial arts master. His hands were lethal weapons. He would have taken that shithead down in seconds. He would be in the fetal position, crying and begging for mercy.

Guns? No problem, he could probably catch a bullet with his teeth, LOL.

The Chive posted a pic from someone's Instagram after some students took down the suspect. Respect to the people who did step in.

twitchyzero 04-10-2013 09:41 AM

i feel bad for the nutjob's parents after reading about the background info in the article. Speedy recovery for those injured.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-10-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8208351)
Yeah but would you rather have a bat shit crazy lunatic with a gun, or one with a knife?

i think people would rather have no lunatics at all.

the problem stems from society.

lives will be lost, but that's the payment for fixing the problem at the core in the long run.

taking away guns is just putting a bandaid over a critical wound.

they need to change the way people think at a fundamental level.

you can see a difference between the nations where ppl kill others vs killing themselves.

reduce individualism, increase collectivism. find the fine balance.

lunatics that want the world to end, should automatically think of ending their own lives first, in private. somewhere far away to remove burden from society.

even in death, you should respect society and the people around you.

that is a proper human being with their heads screwed on right.

if you hate the situation, remove yourself. if you hate the way the world works, kill yourself. not others.

radioman 04-10-2013 12:42 PM

This makes me think of the Pierce Morgan interview with Alex Jones.

Ronin 04-10-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

:derp: "He's a Zionist agent backed by gun lobbyists so they can defend with the "people kill people" argument." /CiC

flagella 04-10-2013 06:47 PM

Lone Star? Thought there was some shooting there just not too long ago.

Manic! 04-10-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8208840)
Lone Star? Thought there was some shooting there just not too long ago.

Yep there was in January.

wstce92 04-10-2013 07:44 PM

I saw a interesting mini-doc a little whiles ago on youtube. By Vice on 3D Printing Guns.
Debates on gun control are kind of useless since in the very near future. Any one with a 3D printer could potentially produce deadly weapons of any kind at home.

westopher 04-10-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVD (Post 8208411)
I'm all for strict gun laws but something seems to be missing. People in the States have had easy access to guns forever. What's with the rash of mass shootings within the last 15 years ever since Columbine?

I'd say its fairly obvious its due to media portrayal. Wanna be remembered forever, when you've suffered your whole life as being an outsider? A nobody? No one will forget you if you go on a killing spree. No one knows the victims names, and its a terribly sad fact.

LiquidTurbo 04-10-2013 11:34 PM

You can't ban the gun, knive, rock, axe, gasoline, nailgun, 2x4, whatever. You take away the gun, people will just invent other ways to kill and do mass destruction.

SkinnyPupp 04-10-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8209122)
You can't ban the gun, knive, rock, axe, gasoline, nailgun, 2x4, whatever. You take away the gun, people will just invent other ways to kill and do mass destruction.

I don't think you get the argument; when someone attacks with a gun, you get 30 people dead. Someone attacks with a knife, you get 14 people injured.

StylinRed 04-11-2013 12:01 AM

Not if he attacked with a real blade or blades; what this guy did was basically take a musket to school and fired off rock salt

But I get your point and agree

SkinnyPupp 04-11-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8209147)
Not if he attacked with a real blade or blades; what this guy did was basically take a musket to school and fired off rock salt

But I get your point and agree

Yup and maybe if guns were more strictly controlled but not banned, gun attackers would be using handguns killing a few people, rather than assault rifles and extra clips and ammo.

Yodamaster 04-11-2013 02:31 AM

I was going to avoid this topic since I'm rather biased towards gun ownership, but that sentence made me cringe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8209169)
Yup and maybe if guns were more strictly controlled but not banned, gun attackers would be using handguns killing a few people, rather than assault rifles and extra clips and ammo.

The majority of homicides with a firearm are committed with a handgun, and there are more deaths caused by the use of limbs than there are with rifles in the US every year (margin is in the hundreds). Shotgun deaths trump rifle deaths by a slim margin, so really, the case could be made that anti-gunners really just want ALL guns taken away, since the humble shotgun has already defeated the evil mass murdering rifle by the tens.

Deaths by knife in 2011 - 1,694

Deaths by rifle in 2011 - 323

Deaths by shotgun in 2011 - 356

Deaths by handgun in 2011 - 6,220

Those numbers come from the most reputable source known in the United States.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

"Buy a shotgun, buy a shotgun"

Where have I heard that before...