REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 04-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Telus in talks to acquire Mobilicity

This is B.S. if it happens. Mobilicity has some great plans, and we all know what will happen when acquired. Fees go up and plans changed for the worse to increase profits.

Telus mum on reports it

Quote:
VANCOUVER — Telus is not commenting on reports that is in talks to acquire the independent Canadian cell phone provider Mobilicity.

Mobilicity is among the three independent small Canadian wireless companies that announced earlier this week that they are withdrawing from the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association over what they termed as their “mounting frustration with the CWTA’s consistent bias in favour of Rogers, Bell and TELUS on a wide variety of issues.”

If the current rumour of a pending sale of Mobilicity is true, that would mean all three of those independent carriers could be up for sale. The smallest of the three, Public Mobile, which offers service in Ontario and Quebec, has reportedly hired bankers to find a buyer. And Wind Mobile is known to be seeking buyers, with Fongo Inc. making public its acquisition bid, a bid that was ridiculed on Twitter by Wind’s chief regulatory officer Simon Lockie.

I hereby publicly offer to buy Fongo for $1 and half my sandwich.Hopefully the story gets picked up before I get too hungry to deliver.

— Simon Lockie (@LockieSimon) March 27, 2013

The report of the potential sale of Mobilicity, in a Globe and Mail story that quotes what reporters Rita Trichur and Boyd Erman identify as a letter from Telus vice-president of corporate development Stephen Lewis to Mobilicity president Stewart Lyons and Michael Levin, managing director of investment banking at Canaccord Genuity, has already generated criticism among consumer advocates.

“The choice in Canada’s cell phone market is going to be reduced even further from what is already a dismal state,” said Lindsay Pinto, spokesperson for the Vancouver-based OpenMedia.ca, which has collected more than 30,000 signatures on an online petition to Canada’s Industry Minister Christian Paradis demanding more choice of carriers in the wireless market.

“Canadians have made it very clear that they want choice in the cell phone market,” said Pinto.

Telus spokesman Shawn Hall said his company has no comment on the report about Mobilicity.

Citing an unnamed source, the Globe and Mail story said Mobilicity would be valued from $350 million to $450 million.
Advertisement
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol telus couldnt afford to go after Wind, so they go after Mobi.. haha
Old 04-13-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Who's naughty? I___i

doubt such acquisition would be allowed by the government
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #4

not until 2014 at least... then its free for all for the incumbents..
Old 04-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
lol Blame the CRTC for not allowing non-Canadian companies to operate wirless and TV/Internet service in Canada in order to protect Canadians.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
I don't get it

Oh, the big carriers!

They have given my family much grief over the years. The lack of choice in the Canadian wireless industry is almost a human rights violation.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
non-Canadian companies are allowed to operate wireless now
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Oh, the big carriers!

They have given my family much grief over the years. The lack of choice in the Canadian wireless industry is almost a human rights violation.
You're an idiot.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You're an idiot.
# No man, wutchu talkin' bout. It is up to private corporations and both federal and provincial governments to provide us wireless service. We're entitled to it all, unlimited minutes, data and fucking roaming - free.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #10

lol if robelus gets approved for the buyout of the new entrants, its all over where they dominate the wireless industry... so all this time that the government said they will make changes will be nothing but a joke and waste of tax payers dollars..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If this goes down it'll be, yet another, slap in the face for all of us. I still cannot get over how their cartel actions go uninterrupted and how much our tax payer dollars go to supporting the guys that make it legal for these crooks to operate like they do.

How can the government expect our country to become further developed and successful when they directly contribute to the restriction and access to information and communications. Not to mention the 'protection' of Canadian companies from foreign-based competition that keeps them sitting around with shit-eating grins. Such a joke. The unfortunate part is most of us are forced to buy into it.

Until then just buy some stock in Telus and watch it constantly rise

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

In other news, Catalyst Capital Group wants to merge WIND and Mobilicity

The article also states that Rogers and Telus are interested in acquiring WIND.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #13

I doubt Rogers would interested in Wind if they got the go ahead to take Shaw's AWS....

Bell/Telus would love to take both Wind and Mobi.. I highly doubt they would get both... Tony Lacavara would have higher chance to retake Wind, IF the government really steps in and stop robelus from the buyout...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
The lack of choice in the Canadian wireless industry is almost a human rights violation.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coren View Post
non-Canadian companies are allowed to operate wireless now
Right and you know how hard it is for them to operate? Basically they have to piggy back on the big 3. Do you think the big 3 is going ot give these small guys the best network (currently their own customer is using) to these small guys? Most likely no. I am not sure what provider you use but have molbi celluar network is bad that people constanlty have drop calls their 3d,4d doens't work for hours at a time.

Not to mention there are the phones you get with each provider. As a phone maker (IE Samsung). will mot likely provider their newest phone to the big 3 becasue it helps the phone provider with sales and the big 3 buys them in bulk (we are talking maybe millions of unit) while the small guys will be lucky to even order a million. Chances are companies like Samsung will most likely want to deal with the big 3 frist before dealing with the small guys.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
TELUS to acquire Mobilicity and its 250,000 subs for $380 million | MobileSyrup.com

Telus just bought Mobilicity, just awaiting approval before the purchase can be finalized.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
TELUS to acquire Mobilicity and its 250,000 subs for $380 million | MobileSyrup.com

Telus just bought Mobilicity, just awaiting approval before the purchase can be finalized.
Well, shit.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
We're a small market and have a huge landmass. Only big companies can operate here. We have a market that 1/10th the size of the US. And virtually all other developed countries have a landmass that is much much smaller than ours.

Having no choice sucks, but let's face the facts. If only people cared about politics as much as they care about saving a few bucks on their wireless service, perhaps we'd be better off as a country? Priorities people.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
what does this mean for current mobilicity users and their current phone plans?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post

The incumbents CANNOT buy any of the three new wireless carriers until 2014, at the earliest. This transaction will not be approved.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
The incumbents CANNOT buy any of the three new wireless carriers until 2014, at the earliest. This transaction will not be approved.
its already been writting that this is true on the face, only new players who wants to enter the canadian market can buy them before that...... but behind the curtains/ under the table, it will be Telus operating.... and you can be sure that Mobi will have money now to scope up some of the 700mhz spectrum... damn.. telus will have LOTS of this spectrum at the beginning of 2014 and officially announce the takeover
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

I don't know if Telus will be injecting money into Mobilicity under the table for LTE spectrum acquisition; however, I can see that this mess will drag out for another 6-8 months until early next year, the federal government and its regulators will then approve this buyout. Telus will re-farm all of the 1700MHz spectrum from Mobilicity for LTE, so that they can be in a better position to compete with Bell and Rogers for network supremacy. All of the Mobi plans will then hopefully be grandfathered, the existing Mobi users will be offered 2-3 year agreements to get a new handset with Telus to use their HSPA 1900/LTE 700/1700 network. 1700 will be used primarily to offload the 700Mhz spectrum in case it gets too congested.

At the end of the day, the only losers here will be consumers.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
250,000 subs - lol. Low paying subs rarely generating any revenue.

Telus is more interested in the spectrum. It's far more valuable.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #24

Well doesn't this just suck. I have had an amazing time with Mobilicity these past two years. Absolutely no complaints. This really really sucks.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #25

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
sorry to burst your bubble, but you really think telus didnt get govnt's blessing before going forward with this acquisition? its going to be approved

i dont get why you guys are talking about less competition after this, didnt you read the article? mobilicity was losing money and would've declare bankruptcy, would've lost them as a competitor anyways
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: