REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canada's Black Gold (https://www.revscene.net/forums/682980-canadas-black-gold.html)

CharlesInCharge 04-15-2013 01:03 AM

Canada's Black Gold

A look at the Alberta Oil Sands
pt1

pt2

Iceman-19 04-15-2013 04:50 AM

Started watching it, realized it was old and done by a foreigner. This place has come a long way. Its probably never going to be easy to get oil out of the ground, but there is an easy solution if you don't like it. Move into the woods and live off the land. Don't use anything made from plastic, oil is needed to make that. Don't use anything except what you can find and make yourself from nature. Become a caveman again. Doesn't appeal to me, but if thats what you want giver. Otherwise stop with the fucking whining about dirty oil. We could be all filthy rich like the Saudi's, if Canadians had balls.

CharlesInCharge 04-15-2013 01:06 PM

You mean rich as the Saudi monarch family as the rest of the people live in poverty, but what do you know when the handlers of this country only give a fraction of profits to that propped up family.
There's no need to contaminate the water table and land with the shortcuts that are made to make parts of Alberta uninhabitable. Its also inefficient as fuck with 1 part energy burned to get 2 parts out. This is all a race for world domination... not to stay out of the woods.

Iceman-19 04-15-2013 01:40 PM

Have you ever travelled to Fort McMurray? It was uninhabitable before the oil companies got here. If you have never been up here and seen it with your own eyes, you really can't say much about how these companies do it. They wouldnt be here doing this if there wasn't a massive demand for the product.

CharlesInCharge 04-15-2013 02:20 PM

Monopoly banking dynasty families run everything in the western/"capitalistic" world. This type of dirty extraction is to further fuel the war machine. Do you know how many declared billions the U.S. spent in the military budget last year? You wouldnt believe it if I typed it...
Soon enough we'll see cancer rates rise in Alberta... the water tables for the drinking water, beef and crops will be contaminated. Lets write off the whole province so that the elites can keep their upper hand over everyone and Canadians as a whole wont get any richer.

ScizzMoney 04-15-2013 06:24 PM

Joanie loves Chachi!!

4444 04-15-2013 07:34 PM

NOT THIS IDIOT AGAIN!!!!! go troll else where, i think north korea would welcome you

Ronin 04-15-2013 07:59 PM

I can't live without all the shit that petroleum makes and runs. This sort of thing is a necessary evil to maintain the luxury we're used to.

ziggyx 04-15-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8212474)
Started watching it, realized it was old and done by a foreigner. This place has come a long way. Its probably never going to be easy to get oil out of the ground, but there is an easy solution if you don't like it. Move into the woods and live off the land. Don't use anything made from plastic, oil is needed to make that. Don't use anything except what you can find and make yourself from nature. Become a caveman again. Doesn't appeal to me, but if thats what you want giver. Otherwise stop with the fucking whining about dirty oil. We could be all filthy rich like the Saudi's, if Canadians had balls.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm pretty much in the mining industry (once i graduate) and a lot of people have the image that mining is awful, dirty and bad for the environment. Well its true in some cases and not in others. It really depends where you go (different operations, different countries, etc.), the laws and regulations set by the governments, the company's responsibility, etc... the list goes on.

Also quite a few people I talk to seem to think that everything they use comes from some magical factory that produces your phone, computer, car etc. comes out of no where or something... but they don't realize that most of that stuff starts from the raw material in the ground and it has to be taken out and processed one way or another.

CharlesInCharge 04-15-2013 11:22 PM

I hope I dont see some major oil spill in my life time... but I highly doubt it.
The people that run things dont care about the environment or the people much... its all about risk assessments, short cuts and making the most money.
Just over in Washington state, which hold 2/3 of the U.S.'s nuclear waste... the stuff has started leaking into the ground.
I believe some of our fruits get imported from there and mostly the stickers are only labeled from the U.S.A.
Can we be sure our foods are not contaminated when the government unknowingly exposes thousands to radiation every-time it trucks waste to its storage plants? On their estimates 3000 people will eventually die because of one highway truck transport.

So if and when this oil seeps into out water table... can we be assured the public will know about it?... never mind the ecological disasters.
Heres another video on the tar sands. A Ted Talks presentation.
http://www.ted.com/talks/garth_lenz_images_of_beauty_and_devastation.html
Another interesting note.
166 Million Birds Could Die If Tar Sands Mining Continues to Expand. http://www.treehugger.com/renewable...-to-expand.html

too_slow 04-15-2013 11:39 PM

^Hey f*ckface, shut the f*ck up, and stop being a hypocrite. Don't f*cking complain if everything you use/touch comes from the dirty s*it that comes from such production/extraction activities.

CharlesInCharge 04-15-2013 11:47 PM

Cant debate with better talking points so you need to call me names? I already explained this dirty push for more energy is to keep global hegemony, not fill a need for human use.
Wrap your head around that.

Iceman-19 04-16-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8213518)
I hope I dont see some major oil spill in my life time... but I highly doubt it.
The people that run things dont care about the environment or the people much... its all about risk assessments, short cuts and making the most money.
Just over in Washington state, which hold 2/3 of the U.S.'s nuclear waste... the stuff has started leaking into the ground.
I believe some of our fruits get imported from there and mostly the stickers are only labeled from the U.S.A.
Can we be sure our foods are not contaminated when the government unknowingly exposes thousands to radiation every-time it trucks waste to its storage plants? On their estimates 3000 people will eventually die because of one highway truck transport.

So if and when this oil seeps into out water table... can we be assured the public will know about it?... never mind the ecological disasters.
Heres another video on the tar sands. A Ted Talks presentation.
Garth Lenz: The true cost of oil | Video on TED.com

Another interesting note.
166 Million Birds Could Die If Tar Sands Mining Continues to Expand. http://www.treehugger.com/renewable...-to-expand.html

You are truely as ignorant as the rest of the environmentalist idiots. The tar sands have been leaking into the water up here for longer than the oil companies were here. The natives used to coat their canoes in tar sand to help them float better. You have never been up here, so shut your pie hole. The day I see you standing outside the gate of a oil company here protesting I will upgrade your respect level from ignorant keyboard cowboy idiot to ignorant protesting moron. Until then you keep whining about oil companies on your computer built from oil based products, call someone who cares on your phone made from oil based products, and get in your car or on your bicycle mad from oil based products and drive it off the nearest cliff. Kthxbaifgt.

ScizzMoney 04-16-2013 05:34 AM

You'd probably be amazed at how much money the companies up here in the Mac spend on environmental concerns. Almost endless budgets and pockets as soon as the word environment comes out. I'm sure their intentions aren't about the environment and they mainly want to keep costs down and to look good to shareholders etc. But, at least they spend the money up here to make things as good as possible. I've seen it happen often where one of the bigger companies up here will halt production if there is a hiccup that will cause an environmental incident.

Soundy 04-17-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8213627)
You are truely as ignorant as the rest of the environmentalist idiots. The tar sands have been leaking into the water up here for longer than the oil companies were here. The natives used to coat their canoes in tar sand to help them float better. You have never been up here, so shut your pie hole. The day I see you standing outside the gate of a oil company here protesting I will upgrade your respect level from ignorant keyboard cowboy idiot to ignorant protesting moron. Until then you keep whining about oil companies on your computer built from oil based products, call someone who cares on your phone made from oil based products, and get in your car or on your bicycle mad from oil based products and drive it off the nearest cliff. Kthxbaifgt.

Best. Rant. Ever.