REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Are Baby Boomers the worst generation ever?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...anted=all&_r=0

Worst Generation Ever? 10 Reasons Not Trust Anyone Over 40 - messymeasy - Open Salon

It's hard to be objective. I know they accomplished alot of things and regardless of your political spectrum i believe we can identify the major, abject failures of the baby boomer generation.
- war on drugs/terror
- general degradation of your civil liberties
- our education and job markets are completely fucked (well not completely)
- housing market

this chart always blows my mind

What do you guys think?
Advertisement
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
American we are not.

May look like it, but we are different.

Also, my friends don't trust anyone under 40, LOLOLOLOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
interesting topic

Right now, most of us tries to buys 50in LEDs, New Cars, New Clothes, $800 iphones whenever possible.

At the end of the day, it's all about managing your own wealth.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes.

Just look at MG1 if you don't believe me.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I found the reply in your second link interesting
Quote:
So, let me get this straight: You blame an entire generation for this country's shift to the right, and the subsequent ascendency of hypocrisy, greed, and the outrageous growth of the military-industrial complex.

The problem with this argument is that while all those boomers were in power, Gens X and Y were old enough to vote. In huge numbers, they stayed away from the polls in 2000. Ditto in 2004.

Likewise, I didn't see any taking to the streets on the part of younger citizens, over issues of voter registration problems and other irregularities that deprived thousands of citizens, mostly minority and elderly and in critical precincts, of their voting rights. Did you think that because Boomers became publicly political in our day, that it was still up to us in your day?

Good progressives of my generation lost their bids to power, at least in part because of widespread political apathy. According to you, this is now all our fault. To me, this feels like deja vu all over again.

Stop blaming your elders, and you might discover there are many of us out her wanting you join us in opposition to these evils, instead of writing us off because of our age. You tell us to "do something about it," but I can only mirror that sentiment. If your generation opted out on every election that put these clowns in power, then what are YOU going to do about that?
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss6o4 View Post
I found the reply in your second link interesting
although i understand where she is coming from, there a couple of huge inconsistencies in her statement

- neither of the candidates in 2000 or 2004 included drug law reform or anything to address the prison complex, nor wouldve made a dent in the sub prime mortgage crisis

- it doesnt matter who's been elected, if the POTUS decides to go to war and you dont agree with it, you have 0 political power...which is exactly what happened in iraq

i would argue political apathy is more of a result of decline, rather than the inverse
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
I remember growing up as the millennial generation they kept saying how jobs will be abundant as the baby boomers retires

Fast forward 10 years and guess what....they aren't so keen to retire
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I remember growing up as the millennial generation they kept saying how jobs will be abundant as the baby boomers retires

Fast forward 10 years and guess what....they aren't so keen to retire
Thta's becasue their investment have shrunk or they lost a big chunk or since Interest rate is so low in order for them to retire they need to work for a few more years.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
I don't get it

This might be off topic.

People think of boomers as having a "fuck you, got mine" mentality. There is a proverb, "a society becomes great when old men plant trees they know they will never see". When applied to baby boomers, it becomes "a society declines when old men cut down trees they know they won't need anymore". While I don't doubt there are boomers who think that (as in every generation, even the millenials), I wish I could introduce them to my father.

My father is a boomer (born in 1953) and he advocates volunteering, supports social benefits, taxes, universal health care and all that. He once walked me around Hastings and Main, to witness the reality there. I remember he said, "those people aren't bums, they're mentally ill." Boomers say things like, "why don't you get a job", or "don't be lazy", or "work harder!" My dad said things like "times are tough for everyone", and "work smarter, not harder".

So the point is, don't put all baby boomers in the same boat.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Also, my friends don't trust anyone under 40, LOLOLOLOL.
i'm sure that's what you tell all the young girls...while looking like this

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
This might be off topic.

People think of boomers as having a "fuck you, got mine" mentality. There is a proverb, "a society becomes great when old men plant trees they know they will never see". When applied to baby boomers, it becomes "a society declines when old men cut down trees they know they won't need anymore". While I don't doubt there are boomers who think that (as in every generation, even the millenials), I wish I could introduce them to my father.

My father is a boomer (born in 1953) and he advocates volunteering, supports social benefits, taxes, universal health care and all that. He once walked me around Hastings and Main, to witness the reality there. I remember he said, "those people aren't bums, they're mentally ill." Boomers say things like, "why don't you get a job", or "don't be lazy", or "work harder!" My dad said things like "times are tough for everyone", and "work smarter, not harder".

So the point is, don't put all baby boomers in the same boat.
obviously there are tons of conscientious and great boomers, etc this isnt a smear on them or anything. i am merely addressing some of the problems that many of them have created for us

whats inherently absurd about the situation is how fucking simple the solutions to them are, or how easily they could've been prevented

- prison complex/war on drugs: tax, legalize etc etc
- subprime mortgage crisis: mortgage regulations similar to the ones canada had
- war on terror: don't start pointless wars
- not supporting shit like the patriot act etc
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 04-15-2013 at 08:07 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Thta's becasue their investment have shrunk or they lost a big chunk or since Interest rate is so low in order for them to retire they need to work for a few more years.
during the 20th century, the western social norm was that kids would have a more prosperous life than their parents...starting from our generation that no longer looks to be the case and it's only gonna get tougher for future gens.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I don't know about baby boomers being the worst generation, but it's more clear to me that this generation is full of idiots.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I don't know about baby boomers being the worst generation, but it's more clear to me that this generation is full of idiots.
I wAnder which generation raised them

I wAnder which generation is accountable for the rise in fetal alcohol syndrome
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I wAnder which generation raised them

I wAnder which generation is accountable for the rise in fetal alcohol syndrome
whats with this retard who can't spell and for some reason likes to capitalize his A's in the word wAnder?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Did the boomers invent Internet pr0n... They're not so bad
Posted via RS Mobile
Valour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
whats with this retard who can't spell and for some reason likes to capitalize his A's in the word wAnder?
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60615...ml#post6820702
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #19
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

-----

Last edited by AAnthony; 11-13-2014 at 10:29 AM.
AAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I was talking to a guy recently on this subject. His take on it was interesting.

He said, things worked out well until the 70's. You could send your kids to school, and take vacations. You could buy a house and pay it off. You could have savings. You knew, in classic Reagan terms, "your life would be better than it was 4 years ago" and you knew your children would have a better life than you did.

Then the balance shifted and now we just have to work.

And its interesting that when you pull up these charts and graphs, that it seems to be the 70's when everything starts dropping or changing. Your money becomes worth less than it was...the inflation of the time before and during Carter and so on. Then Reagan changed the tax structure which started leaning it heavier towards the rich.

BUT...I don't think you can blame the baby boomer generation.

I think OUR generation(thinking broadly, basically anyone past the boomers) has really lost sight of whats important. Gotta have the 50" tv. Toaster is broken-gotta go and buy a new toaster. Small appliance repair has died. No one fixes a damned thing. And because no one fixes anything, no one builds anything with an ounce of quality. A vacation used to be throwing the kids in the back of the car and going camping. Now, we've got to throw them in first class and take them to disney.

There seemed to be a period between the 1950's and the 1970's that people weren't worried. It's not that there wasn't things to be worried about(the whole cold war thing) but there is today, a lot of hangover stuff. Are we running out of oil? Are we killing the atmosphere? Raining nukes is so bad, but you take solace that its so large, that you can't worry about it-but in a world of kids being shot in schools, or movie theatres or marathons, or office towers...you can allow fear to creep in.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think Generation Y has got to be the worst generation. Generation Y is too spoiled with technology and forgot what it is like to interact with reality. A good percentage of people in Generation Y are too sheltered by computers and often stay home and game. They forgot what it means to go out in a park to play catch with your buddies or shoot a few hoops.

With the uprising of cellphones and instant messaging the way we socialize has gone down the drain. Don't want to have to deal with someones tone of voice? simple text. Get a reply, and you can ignore it. Yes cell phones and instant messaging has taken snobbyness to the next level. Don't even get me started with the dating scene. Online dating? What a Joke.

People in Generation Y don't know what it means to love anymore. Back when it was about commitment, getting married, and raising a family. Its no longer like that these days. The length of how long people stay married is getting shorter and shorter. Don't like something about your partner? Move on to the next. This generation has forgotten what it means to work on things and improve.

Generation Y is too used to having things handed to them. They still mooch off their parents. I can name too many classmates I gradded with who are still stuck in Langara taking English, psychology, math, and getting babysat. We are a group that's just lacking a lot of motivation to do something with their lives.

-A person from Generation Y, Baby Boomer at heart. I was born in the wrong era.

Last edited by toyobaru; 04-16-2013 at 10:20 AM.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Found this today:

Generation Y's Legislative Agenda: What Millennials Will Do When They Get Power

Makes sense that the people that will inherit power, shortly, if even starting now will start to solve some of the problems created by the previous 'growth' generation.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
what makes this generation more or less idiotic than any other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I was talking to a guy recently on this subject. His take on it was interesting.

He said, things worked out well until the 70's. You could send your kids to school, and take vacations. You could buy a house and pay it off. You could have savings. You knew, in classic Reagan terms, "your life would be better than it was 4 years ago" and you knew your children would have a better life than you did.

Then the balance shifted and now we just have to work.

And its interesting that when you pull up these charts and graphs, that it seems to be the 70's when everything starts dropping or changing. Your money becomes worth less than it was...the inflation of the time before and during Carter and so on. Then Reagan changed the tax structure which started leaning it heavier towards the rich.

BUT...I don't think you can blame the baby boomer generation.

I think OUR generation(thinking broadly, basically anyone past the boomers) has really lost sight of whats important. Gotta have the 50" tv. Toaster is broken-gotta go and buy a new toaster. Small appliance repair has died. No one fixes a damned thing. And because no one fixes anything, no one builds anything with an ounce of quality. A vacation used to be throwing the kids in the back of the car and going camping. Now, we've got to throw them in first class and take them to disney.

There seemed to be a period between the 1950's and the 1970's that people weren't worried. It's not that there wasn't things to be worried about(the whole cold war thing) but there is today, a lot of hangover stuff. Are we running out of oil? Are we killing the atmosphere? Raining nukes is so bad, but you take solace that its so large, that you can't worry about it-but in a world of kids being shot in schools, or movie theatres or marathons, or office towers...you can allow fear to creep in.
To most young people I talk to, their greatest desire is finding a stable, (decent) paying job in their chosen field of education or whatever.

and this fear is ultimately detrimental... its why things like the patriot act exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
I think Generation Y has got to be the worst generation. Generation Y is too spoiled with technology and forgot what it is like to interact with reality. A good percentage of people in Generation Y are too sheltered by computers and often stay home and game. They forgot what it means to go out in a park to play catch with your buddies or shoot a few hoops.

With the uprising of cellphones and instant messaging the way we socialize has gone down the drain. Don't want to have to deal with someones tone of voice? simple text. Get a reply, and you can ignore it. Yes cell phones and instant messaging has taken snobbyness to the next level. Don't even get me started with the dating scene. Online dating? What a Joke.

People in Generation Y don't know what it means to love anymore. Back when it was about commitment, getting married, and raising a family. Its no longer like that these days. The length of how long people stay married is getting shorter and shorter. Don't like something about your partner? Move on to the next. This generation has forgotten what it means to work on things and improve.

Generation Y is too used to having things handed to them. They still mooch off their parents. I can name too many classmates I gradded with who are still stuck in Langara taking English, psychology, math, and getting babysat. We are a group that's just lacking a lot of motivation to do something with their lives.

-A person from Generation Y, Baby Boomer at heart. I was born in the wrong era.
technology has probably improved our social skills for some people in the sense thats its easier to connect with multiple people. being an introverted "inside" person is not a generational specific phenomenon.

lol some people werent meant for post secondary. in the past, you could've easily gotten a job outta high school that was well paying, settle down buy a house and have kids, but those jobs dont exist anymore do they?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Go Gen-X!! WOOT!

we be awesome
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
generational cycles

Strauss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss...s_and_turnings

we are just a repeat of the past that has been long forgotten.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: