REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

concerns over Foreign workers at construction sites

Concerns raised over use of foreign construction workers in ‘Trump Tower’ project | Globalnews.ca

cant embed the video,

Many of my friends are concerned because they aren't getting contracts and they see all these other "competitors" coming in offering super low bid on contracts that just doesn't seem to make sense.

One thing I'm worried about is the shoddy worksmanship as I'm sure some of these workers may not meet construction code and standards that inspectors cant see.
Advertisement
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
I don't get it

Employers are desperate for qualified workers, but since it's the Great Recession, they think they can strongarm employees into accepting less pay and benefits. If they don't, the employers just turn to interns, contractors, or in this case foreign workers.

Typical.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
because trump

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
Concerns raised over use of foreign construction workers in ‘Trump Tower’ project | Globalnews.ca

cant embed the video,

Many of my friends are concerned because they aren't getting contracts and they see all these other "competitors" coming in offering super low bid on contracts that just doesn't seem to make sense.

One thing I'm worried about is the shoddy worksmanship as I'm sure some of these workers may not meet construction code and standards that inspectors cant see.
In that case, I'd be more worried about inspectors not detecting these issues.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
THE CHAMPION OF CAPUA

Sorry bro, its only going to get worse with the influx of temporary foreign workers... Unless Canadians start doing something about it, even more jobs from different sectors will be taken away, just like the RBC fiasco, fast foods, HD mining etc...

Does Canada really have a shortage of skilled workers?

Number of Canadian job seekers grows, says StatsCan | Economy | News | Financial Post

Quote:
As well, Canada has seen a ballooning of foreign temporary workers for vacancies employers say they cannot fill.

“This is a striking low job vacancy number and it really casts doubt on this idea that we have a labour shortage,” said Erin Weir, a labour economist with the United Steelworkers union.

“I think most of this idea of labour shortages is based on anecdotes from the business community. They might have a different definition of a labour shortage. Employers might believe that if they can’t get the employees they want at the wages they are prepared to offer — that’s a labour shortage.”

Last edited by Spartacus; 04-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
This is the general trend now.

My company loses money on every bid we win because the competition is hiring foreign workers who work OT with no benefits, at minimum wage, and are going around 5 different sites a day back and forth.

We only do it because it keeps us in the industry for the consulting/higher end testing that the cheap companies aren't certified to do.

It's actually pretty alarming. The only relief (so far) is that these bastard companies are not winning any government/high profile jobs.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
In most cases you get what you pay for.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I would think many of those foreign workers, although lacking "proper certification", are just as skilled enough to get the job well done.

There are always opportunity for further training.

What we need is better inspection standard and process.

Welcome to the open economy !
tailhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
yes there are a lot of foreign and illegal workers working at some sites

but we dont have anywhere near the investment in ICE teams like the US does
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote