REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2016, 12:59 AM   #526
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
winson604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vansterdam
Posts: 6,552
Thanked 936 Times in 467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
So I dropped by at the liquor store today and spotted a lot of the Crown Royal Rye in stock. Which makes me wonder, at its current jacked-up price of $40, is it still a good buy?

Back when it first deputed, it was priced at $30, and it’s considered by many to be a great price for what you get. As the CR Rye can be a tasty daily sipper without breaking the bank. But now the $40 price tag is interesting, because for $20 dollars more, you are in the Highland Park territory. Or if you again pony up a few more bucks, you can have the excellent Johnnie Walker Green Label at $65.

For anyone’s who’s interested, the Kavalan Soloist Sherry Single Malt is in stores for a limited quantity. I’ve been trying really hard to decide if I should pick up the Soloist or try to find the Kavalan Vinho instead… (cueing Obsideon on this one haha)
Picked up anot her bottle of the crown as stores just had a huge restock. Hear it's a different pour but what the heck $40 is fine. I know $20 gets you in Highland 10 range but relative to % that's a 50% increase from the crown.
Advertisement
__________________
"back at the line to Babych.... LONG SHOT....Potvin had trouble with it....ADAM SHOOTS SCORES!!!!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #527
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tres Ciudades
Posts: 4,795
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,331 Posts
Finally got my hands on a Yamazaki 12
I was honestly surprised that it came with a twist cap lol

Went down to Rogue and did the tour and tried their Chipotle Whiskey.
Anyone every try it? I really liked it but I couldn't justify spending $40 USD on it.
__________________
"There's a lot of dead people who had the right of way."
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #528
i like gifs
 
Ch28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: imgur
Posts: 25,659
Thanked 6,352 Times in 2,136 Posts
You get the Yamasaki locally?
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #529
God of Unce
 
Armind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ASOT
Posts: 7,584
Thanked 167 Times in 43 Posts
If so, WHERRRREEEEEEEEEE?!?!
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #530
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tres Ciudades
Posts: 4,795
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,331 Posts
nah, unfortunately not locally
found it in some hole in a wall liquor store in Beaverton
__________________
"There's a lot of dead people who had the right of way."
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #531
God of Unce
 
Armind's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ASOT
Posts: 7,584
Thanked 167 Times in 43 Posts
Hmmm... i'll be travelling to Toronto really soon. Any particular stores that I should try my luck on?
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:55 PM   #532
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
roastpuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pemby
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 1,023 Times in 469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
For anyone’s who’s interested, the Kavalan Soloist Sherry Single Malt is in stores for a limited quantity. I’ve been trying really hard to decide if I should pick up the Soloist or try to find the Kavalan Vinho instead… (cueing Obsideon on this one haha)
I actually picked this up in Taipei Airport for $90USD... quite a fruity whiskey, smooth bite and has a very sherry finish. Depends on your taste, one of my friends didn't like it very much but he's a peat guy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
i look so damn white in all the pics! lol
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 05:50 PM   #533
Ebisu Boss
 
Obsideon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: West Side
Posts: 3,260
Thanked 1,203 Times in 451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
So I dropped by at the liquor store today and spotted a lot of the Crown Royal Rye in stock. Which makes me wonder, at its current jacked-up price of $40, is it still a good buy?

Back when it first deputed, it was priced at $30, and it’s considered by many to be a great price for what you get. As the CR Rye can be a tasty daily sipper without breaking the bank. But now the $40 price tag is interesting, because for $20 dollars more, you are in the Highland Park territory. Or if you again pony up a few more bucks, you can have the excellent Johnnie Walker Green Label at $65.

For anyone’s who’s interested, the Kavalan Soloist Sherry Single Malt is in stores for a limited quantity. I’ve been trying really hard to decide if I should pick up the Soloist or try to find the Kavalan Vinho instead… (cueing Obsideon on this one haha)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I actually picked this up in Taipei Airport for $90USD... quite a fruity whiskey, smooth bite and has a very sherry finish. Depends on your taste, one of my friends didn't like it very much but he's a peat guy.
I don't know why but the Crown North has lots it's appeal to me even at the cheaper price point. Especially I was drinking it side by side with my new go-to, the Johnny Green.

In terms of Kavalan I felt that Soloist was my least favourite but it's most readily available compared to the other ones. As roastpuff mentioned it's definitely fruitier due to the sherry cask, personally I prefer that over peaty. If you can pick up a Concertmaster, that is the best bang for buck IMHO.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #534
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 191
Thanked 365 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I actually picked this up in Taipei Airport for $90USD... quite a fruity whiskey, smooth bite and has a very sherry finish. Depends on your taste, one of my friends didn't like it very much but he's a peat guy.
Jeezus, even at the current exchange rate, $90 USD is still marginally cheaper than what BC Liquor Store is charging--$199.99 CAD before tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
I don't know why but the Crown North has lots it's appeal to me even at the cheaper price point. Especially I was drinking it side by side with my new go-to, the Johnny Green.

In terms of Kavalan I felt that Soloist was my least favourite but it's most readily available compared to the other ones. As roastpuff mentioned it's definitely fruitier due to the sherry cask, personally I prefer that over peaty. If you can pick up a Concertmaster, that is the best bang for buck IMHO.
Thanks for your input Obsideon. The JW Green has been my go-to as well, with the occasional Balvenie here and there. I'll make a point to visit the King Car distillery in Taiwan for a Kavalan line-up tasting when I get the chance. Heard great things about them and that they are delicious.


On a side note, what's with BC Liquor Store lately? they have been jacking up the prices on everything. The Hennessey X.O goes for roughly $189.99 in 2012, now? $269.99. A simple JW Black got bumped from $45.99 to $54.99 in the span of one year.

Other than greed for margins/profits, is it also due to our weak dollar?
Gallardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #535
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tres Ciudades
Posts: 4,795
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,331 Posts
i hate how you have to add tax on top of BC Liquor stuff now

i liked it when i could look at a booze and pay the shelf price
now when i'm shopping around for beer or others, it might look cheap but i always get gut-punched at the cashier
__________________
"There's a lot of dead people who had the right of way."
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #536
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 191
Thanked 365 Times in 73 Posts
So I finally cracked open a bottle of the Crown Royal Rye for a tasting.

This quick review is not intended to point out why I bought it nor am I trying to justify this whiskey's price-point.

In fact, I have trained my palette to distinguish between young and old whiskies, and whether or not it's a blended or single malt. It's gets easier when you practice blind tastings, as certain tasting notes gets etched in memory.

Crown Royal Rye:


-->On the nose, it was harsh. I had to tone it down with a few wee drops of water.
Honey, vanilla, sappy flower petals.

-->On the palette, walnut, green fruits and young tree sap.

-->Finishing note was near non-existent. However, 30 seconds after swallowing, bright fruity tones lingers in the mouth after exposing to the air.



My initial reaction was wtf in a negative kind of way. After a second dram of the whiskey, it was still kind of meh.

I did my best to be unbiased when trying this Rye, but in my opinion, I personally wouldn't recommend this whiskey to anybody to try.

Honestly, if Jim Murrary hadn't named this the Whiskey of the year, I highly doubt this Rye blend will appear on the radar with people jumping on the bandwagon raving about it. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by Gallardo; 08-18-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Gallardo is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #537
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
roastpuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pemby
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 1,023 Times in 469 Posts
Interesting, maybe it's a difference in bottling? CR was trying to cash in on the hype, and the subsequent bottlings are sub-par?

I still have an unopened bottle of the early bottling from last year, maybe it is different...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
i look so damn white in all the pics! lol
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #538
Say NO to blade grinders!
 
Expresso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,513
Thanked 995 Times in 444 Posts
What are green fruits?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #539
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: East Van
Posts: 1,347
Thanked 452 Times in 224 Posts
What are fruit pedals?

I think the Northern Harvest was a bit overrated, but I suppose I am no Rye expert. I got two bottles last December and everyone who I have given it to try has said it was just OK. Not bad, but nothing to rave about.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #540
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,141
Thanked 1,262 Times in 491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
So I finally cracked open a bottle of the Crown Royal Rye for a tasting.

This quick review is not intended to point out why I bought it nor am I trying to justify this whiskey's price-point.

In fact, I have trained my palette to distinguish between young and old whiskies, and whether or not it's a blended or single malt. It's gets easier when you practice blind tastings, as certain tasting notes gets etched in memory.

Crown Royal Rye:


-->On the nose, it was harsh. I had to tone it down with a few wee drops of water.
Honey, vanilla, sappy flower pedals.

-->On the palette, walnut, green fruits and young tree sap.

-->Finishing note was near non-existent. However, 30 seconds after swallowing, bright fruity tones lingers in the mouth after exposing to the air.



My initial reaction was wtf in a negative kind of way. After a second dram of the whiskey, it was still kind of meh.

I did my best to be unbiased when trying this Rye, but in my opinion, I personally wouldn't recommend this whiskey to anybody to try.

Honestly, if Jim Murrary hadn't named this the Whiskey of the year, I highly doubt this Rye blend will appear on the radar with people jumping on the bandwagon raving about it. Again, just my opinion.
If you are a fan of 100% rye Cdn whiskey, try the AB Premium or Canadian Club 100% rye
__________________
15 991 GTS with Aerokit Cup
10 AMV8 6sp manual
11 Dinan S3-R 4.6 Stroker
16 Audi Q3 Technik Pkg (S Line)
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #541
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 223
Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
When it comes to Rye and Canadian, my vote is for lot40. I like it a lot more then the crown northern harvest.
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #542
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 191
Thanked 365 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Interesting, maybe it's a difference in bottling? CR was trying to cash in on the hype, and the subsequent bottlings are sub-par?

I still have an unopened bottle of the early bottling from last year, maybe it is different...
They did afterall ramp-up the production numbers after the initial batch really took off and was sold-out everywhere. We can only hope that their standards of Quality Control is high...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresso View Post
What are green fruits?
Green fruits usually describes the skins of unripe fruits. It alludes to young whiskies, sharp tartness that's often masked behind sweetness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
What are fruit pedals?

I think the Northern Harvest was a bit overrated, but I suppose I am no Rye expert. I got two bottles last December and everyone who I have given it to try has said it was just OK. Not bad, but nothing to rave about.
Typo sorry, flower petals. Floral tones with a subdued hint of sweetness that barely comes through.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
If you are a fan of 100% rye Cdn whiskey, try the AB Premium or Canadian Club 100% rye
You are spot-on Z3Guy, I wanted to mention the Alberta Premium as well, but didn't want to digress from my review of the CR. The Alberta Premium is no slouch, I find that it greatly benefits from letting it sit for 15min before drinking like the various Jim Beams that I've had. A metallic but syrupy sweetness appears like no other. Oxidization at play is my best guess, combined with the partial evaporation of alcohol, making it easier to savour.

-->A note to y'all whiskey lovers, never let whiskies that are peaty- sit too long after pouring, a bitterness tend to develop and adding water to it doesn't help very much.

-->Oh, and this is a fun one. Pour a small bit of whiskey in a glass, cover it partially and come back to it a couple hours later. What you'll benefit from is being able to actually taste the whiskey's flavours with the alcohol being absent. Of course, this is my non-scientific method for tasting something without having the alcohol anaesthetizing or numbing your tastebuds.

-->Also, try drinking your dram of whiskey without reading-up on reviews of it first, as it can create a bias. I would for example read about notes of dark chocolate and syrup in a review, and have a completely skewed session with my dram.

-->As I finish typing this post, I am finishing up on a small blind-tasting session that includes the CR Rye...the sharp-bite from this youthful whiskey is very apparent, and I am getting this unpleasant lingering sweetness in my mouth that is akin to aspartame from those sugar-free chewing gums.
Gallardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #543
Zombie Mod
 
Presto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Langley
Posts: 9,074
Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,212 Posts
The Crown Northern Harvest is currently in stock at the BCL in Langley (64th and 200)
__________________
Romans 10:9
Presto is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #544
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Tres Ciudades
Posts: 4,795
Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo View Post
-->A note to y'all whiskey lovers, never let whiskies that are peaty- sit too long after pouring, a bitterness tend to develop and adding water to it doesn't help very much.
i dunno about this
i've got a Laphroaig that's almost a year old and it's still just just as good as the first day i've cracked it open

Have also had a JW double black that's more than a couple of years old and still tasted the same.

Though both of them still have ~2/3 left.
usually when i'm down to the last 1/4, i'll pretty much try to finish it off.
__________________
"There's a lot of dead people who had the right of way."
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #545
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
jasonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: vancouver
Posts: 659
Thanked 262 Times in 53 Posts
my collection so far. downsized a bit after a few social events but ill have a few more bottles with time.

also have the jw gold route and royal route in my bedroom. its so beautiful i dont even want to open it

jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #546
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,988
Thanked 1,496 Times in 590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
i dunno about this
i've got a Laphroaig that's almost a year old and it's still just just as good as the first day i've cracked it open

Have also had a JW double black that's more than a couple of years old and still tasted the same.

Though both of them still have ~2/3 left.
usually when i'm down to the last 1/4, i'll pretty much try to finish it off.
i think he meant after pouring into your glass.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #547
i like gifs
 
Ch28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: imgur
Posts: 25,659
Thanked 6,352 Times in 2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
my collection so far. downsized a bit after a few social events but ill have a few more bottles with time.

also have the jw gold route and royal route in my bedroom. its so beautiful i dont even want to open it

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:31 AM   #548
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 478
Thanked 755 Times in 139 Posts
I bought a second bottle of Harvest Rye yesterday and cracked it open immediately.
It tastes different from the glass I had back in July?
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #549
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 223
Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
my collection so far. downsized a bit after a few social events but ill have a few more bottles with time.

also have the jw gold route and royal route in my bedroom. its so beautiful i dont even want to open it

Nice layout and collection!

On my last 2 trips recently I brought back two bottles for my collection:

On a flight out of Houston airport, I had a sampling of the JW Island green! It tasted more intense and smoky then the original JW green so I picked up a bottle. It was priced at $60 USD.

I was in Jefferson Texas and visited a small liquor store since I had time to burn and noticed they had a Highland Park 18 priced at $109.99 USD. What a steal, even with the CAD to USD exchange rate!
Johnisl.jpg

hp18.jpg
hillmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #550
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
winson604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vansterdam
Posts: 6,552
Thanked 936 Times in 467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
Nice layout and collection!

On my last 2 trips recently I brought back two bottles for my collection:

On a flight out of Houston airport, I had a sampling of the JW Island green! It tasted more intense and smoky then the original JW green so I picked up a bottle. It was priced at $60 USD.

I was in Jefferson Texas and visited a small liquor store since I had time to burn and noticed they had a Highland Park 18 priced at $109.99 USD. What a steal, even with the CAD to USD exchange rate!
Attachment 27643

Attachment 27644
I remember it wasn't that long ago that the Highland park 18 was in that price range

jinxcrusader - The current stock is a different pour than the OG so it's a bit diff indeed.
__________________
"back at the line to Babych.... LONG SHOT....Potvin had trouble with it....ADAM SHOOTS SCORES!!!!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net