REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
I don't get it

Thanked 2,127 Times in 204 Posts
Homeland Security proposing a fee to enter the US by land

Quote:
The U.S. government is proposing to charge a new fee for every vehicle or pedestrian crossing the U.S.-Canada border — an idea that has prompted fierce objections from New York lawmakers who claim the levy would stifle transboundary commerce and undermine recent efforts to ease the flow of people and goods between the two countries.

The Canadian government, too, is raising alarms about the proposal, with an embassy spokesman in Washington telling the Buffalo News that “we’re confident that any study would conclude that the considerable economic damage any fee would do would greatly outweigh any revenue generated.”

The issue flared on Friday in the U.S. after Rep. Brian Higgins, a Democratic congressman from Buffalo, N.Y., drew attention to an item buried deeply in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s proposed 2014 budget, released last week by DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano.

Exactly how and where such a fee would be collected, whether it would focus on those entering or leaving the U.S. — or both — and how much each crossing might cost each traveller have not been determined.

But Higgins slammed the fee idea as “the absolute last thing we should be doing” at a time when both the U.S. and Canada are working to streamline cross-border movements, even as the countries’ respective border-security regimes aim to strengthen monitoring and enforcement along the 8,900-kilometre binational frontier.

Higgins has also suggested that a crossing fee at the Canada-U.S. border would be used to unfairly “subsidize” the more expensive and challenging security operations required along the U.S.-Mexico border.

The Department of Homeland Security budget blueprint proposes to “conduct a study assessing the feasibility and cost relating to establishing and collecting a land border crossing fee for both land border pedestrians and passenger vehicles along the northern and southwest borders of the United States.”

The study, to be completed within nine months, would explore “the feasibility of collecting from existing operators on the land border such as bridge commissions, toll operators, commercial passenger bus, and commercial passenger rail.”

It would also identify the investments necessary to collect the fee “at land ports of entry where existing capability is not present,” and probe whether there are “any legal and regulatory impediments to establishing and collecting a land border crossing fee.”

In a written statement about the proposed budget, submitted by Napolitano ahead of her appearance last week at the House of Representatives homeland security committee, she said her department needed to find fresh revenue streams through fees to hire new border guards and to support increasingly expensive operations at international crossing points.

“Processing the more than 350 million travellers annually provides nearly $150 billion in economic stimulus, yet the fees that support these operations have not been adjusted in many cases for more than a decade,” Napolitano stated. “As the complexity of our operations continues to expand, the gap between fee collections and the operations they support is growing, and the number of workforce hours fees support decreases each year.”

Fees for various types of inspections, such as agricultural products and other commercial goods, are already charged at the U.S.-Canada border. Toll booths also generate significant revenues from regular travellers crossing the border, with the funds typically used to support the maintenance of roads, bridges, checkpoints and other infrastructure along the boundary.

Airline passengers in both countries also pay security levies on top of their ticket prices. In Canada, those charges amount to about $15 per round-trip domestic flight and can reach beyond $25 for international flights.

Previous U.S. government proposals to generate more income from transboundary travellers have been shouted down loudly by politicians in northern states. And the latest idea, though still only at the study stage, is also drawing fire.

“I was shocked to see a proposal for a new toll at the Northern Border and I will fight to put the brakes on this short-sighted fee,” Higgins said in a statement urging the federal agency to withdraw the proposal.

In a letter to Napolitano, Higgins further laid out the case against what he called “additional fees” that might be assessed on visitors “crossing into the United States,” which “would set a disturbing precedent on an already burdened public.”

He told Napolitano: “My district in Western New York is home to five international border crossings — three for automobiles and two for rail. Traffic crossing the border is an enormous component of our economy.”

Higgins said the “economic integration” of Western New York and southern Ontario “will define our region economically over the coming decades,” and even said the existence of the NFL football team Buffalo Bills and NHL hockey team Buffalo Sabres depends on “the growing ticket-buying base of Greater Toronto.”

Cross-border consumers from Canada are “also the reason why we have low-cost air carriers, thriving shopping malls and stable cultural institutions,” Higgins wrote to Napolitano. “I actively oppose this proposal to study any new fees and I urge you to do so as well. At a time when we are looking to increase economic activity at our Northern Border, we should not be authorizing proposals that would do the reverse.”

Sen. Charles Schumer, another Democrat from New York, told the Buffalo News that he would strongly oppose any new fees or fee hikes at border crossings.

“A secure and efficient border crossing is the lifeblood of the Western New York economy, and seeking to slap travellers here with onerous fees is a bad idea,” he said. “We don’t need a study to tell us that.”
Homeland Security wants to charge fee for crossing U.S.-Canada border

Yeah, I doubt this will pass
Advertisement
Coren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Non-Canadians already have to pay. Last time I went down with my ex (Korean), we got waved in and she had to pay $6.

Meh. Governments gotta pay bills. It's not like we won't save more than $6 shopping down South anyways.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I guess the Americans are trying to take advantage of the number of Canadians who do cross-border shopping. Definitely don't see this passing, and even if this were to pass I wouldn't be surprised to still see many Canadians head across the border.
tmc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Wow, that will really slow down the border economy on their side I imagine
Sean Hebdon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Hebdon View Post
Wow, that will really slow down the border economy on their side I imagine
No it won't, not significant - ur already savings over $100 plus each time u go down, $5 or $10 fee - still saving $90 plus...
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc22 View Post
I guess the Americans are trying to take advantage of the number of Canadians who do cross-border shopping. Definitely don't see this passing, and even if this were to pass I wouldn't be surprised to still see many Canadians head across the border.
yeah I agree. The Department of Homeland Security is out to screw the cross-border shoppers.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
No it won't, not significant - ur already savings over $100 plus each time u go down, $5 or $10 fee - still saving $90 plus...
Or not... I go down regularly for gas or to pick up one or two packages I bought on ebay or whatever. Not saving $100. Yeah, maybe if you go down for the day to shop a load of stuff but if this happens I will likely stop going down for those packages and just buy in Canada.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Or not... I go down regularly for gas or to pick up one or two packages I bought on ebay or whatever. Not saving $100. Yeah, maybe if you go down for the day to shop a load of stuff but if this happens I will likely stop going down for those packages and just buy in Canada.
If you're taking that much time to go down but only save $5 picking up packages and gas...Man, you're doing it wrong.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
but you forget we a lot of asian

pay 6 dolla every person, so almost firty dolla each time.
no no no, too much money i cannot afford we stay home today

i can already imagine my parents saying that
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I do the same (in tsawwassen each weekend), if I had to pay a fee, I'd just go down less often and up the size of my purchases/trip

As humans we are one of the best species at adapting to our surroundings, don't think this one will be hard to adapt to.

I say bring it on - the US needs the money, this is just a tax that will start to level the US - Canadian shopping playing ground, we already pay these 'taxes' up here in one form or another (hence why everything is more here), so rather than having ppl complain about this 'tax' - we should question why we're ok with living with these 'taxes' locally... If you know what I'm saying
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

meh i'd pay, no problem. As long as it doesn't hurt their business and our business - that's more what i'd be worried about. Fees seem to always be an excuse to jack up random things for me, which i had no idea would even be affected by something like this, but are
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

it's just an idea from the US government. I don't think it'll ever pass as a law.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
but you forget we a lot of asian

pay 6 dolla every person, so almost firty dolla each time.
no no no, too much money i cannot afford we stay home today

i can already imagine my parents saying that
totally read that in a chinese accent
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

This is a good deterrent to lessen the load on the border crossings due to all the layoffs. Very smart actually since the fee is cheap enough that its still worth going down.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

^ Exactly. If each Canadian paying $6 per head to cross each time provides enough justification to keep a few hundred American border guards across the country employed, this is still a win-win in my opinion. It's the lineups to cross that are the issue in my mind, not saving $45 instead of $60.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
if thats the case americans should pay $6 per head on the way up to Canada to pay for our border guards as well.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
if thats the case americans should pay $6 per head on the way up to Canada to pay for our border guards as well.
We already have a problem with a dwindling tourism industry due to the weak american economy/dollar. No need to make it worse.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
.........'Murica
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
Ya, let's retaliate, that'll be great for our already crap tourism industry (due, in large part to our strong dollar) - your response is one of a 5 year old... So I wouldn't be surprised if our politicians think the same way (kinda joking)

This is actually one of the starting points for a major arguement against import tariffs - but that conversation is a totally different kettle of fish
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
I do the same (in tsawwassen each weekend), if I had to pay a fee, I'd just go down less often and up the size of my purchases/trip

As humans we are one of the best species at adapting to our surroundings, don't think this one will be hard to adapt to.

I say bring it on - the US needs the money, this is just a tax that will start to level the US - Canadian shopping playing ground, we already pay these 'taxes' up here in one form or another (hence why everything is more here), so rather than having ppl complain about this 'tax' - we should question why we're ok with living with these 'taxes' locally... If you know what I'm saying
In that case I'm proposing a tax to fund my gas consumption since I need the money. You seem pretty eager to fund the needy, so hook it up bro.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
may be it'll be waived/reduced fee for Nexus passholders?

Think about the people living in Windsor and Detroit...some work/go to school across the border on a daily basis.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
In that case I'm proposing a tax to fund my gas consumption since I need the money. You seem pretty eager to fund the needy, so hook it up bro.
How u got that conclusion is amazing, I'm a staunch fiscal conservative, the needy needs to work harder to pay for their wants and needs.

My whole point is that our government taxes the shit out of us already, we don't complain, but when the US even start to talk about introducing a tax to level the supply/demand playing field, ppl will start to be up in arms.

The US is there to look after their own people, and rightfully so - Canadians are taking advantage of a strong cdn dollar buy doing a lot of shopping in the US, why not make them pay a premium for that privilege, especially when the US government needs the funds to pay for border guards who 'police' entrants to their great nation? (And if u disagree that their nation is great, then I hope ur not a cross border shopper, bc that would be two faced)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
may be it'll be waived/reduced fee for Nexus passholders?

Think about the people living in Windsor and Detroit...some work/go to school across the border on a daily basis.
Not much different then paying a toll on one of our bridges because you pay there and back. If they put a fee in, would only be one way.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
As it stands, I rarely go cross-border shopping, just for the sheer inconvenience. When I do, it's to pick up heavily discounted goods (ie: online purchases, car parts) and I combine it with a trip to get a lot of groceries and gas.

Even for those who live close to the border and can just hop over to fill up, the addition of a toll might not make it worth the extra trouble.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #25
The Lone Wanderator

Quote:
How u got that conclusion is amazing, I'm a staunch fiscal conservative, the needy needs to work harder to pay for their wants and needs.

My whole point is that our government taxes the shit out of us already, we don't complain, but when the US even start to talk about introducing a tax to level the supply/demand playing field, ppl will start to be up in arms.

The US is there to look after their own people, and rightfully so - Canadians are taking advantage of a strong cdn dollar buy doing a lot of shopping in the US, why not make them pay a premium for that privilege, especially when the US government needs the funds to pay for border guards who 'police' entrants to their great nation? (And if u disagree that their nation is great, then I hope ur not a cross border shopper, bc that would be two faced)
It always strikes me as amusing that "Fiscal conservative" seems to now translate to "Cut everything I disapprove of!" rather than "Pay for everything we've got, and make sure everything we've got is what we need!"