REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Resturant Suggestions for Chinese Tourists (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683187-resturant-suggestions-chinese-tourists.html)

skiiipi 04-20-2013 04:00 PM

Resturant Suggestions for Chinese Tourists

Hey guys,

I will be playing host for my aunt/uncle who will be coming late may for my Cousin's graduation.
I will be taking them out for at least 2 dinners.

Given that this is their first visit to Canada, I need to keep in mind they may not appreciate certain western cusine. I'm guessing seafood should be a pretty good bet, since most Asians like seafood.

I was debating between the following resturants, but will take other suggestions and reccomendations. The ones below are simply the ones that I've eaten at myself, and have had a positive experience.

C Resturant
Coast
Salmon House
Blue Water Cafe
Miku

Also, being the typical 'fob' that they are...I know they will try to make a big deal and public 'fight' me for the bill....to save myself the embarassement, am I able to give my CC info when I make the reservation, and ensure that they charge my card before they bring me the bill?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Posted via RS Mobile

MelonBoy 04-20-2013 05:38 PM

^
Before being seated or while being seated just let your waiter know you want to pay for the bill. I believe most places will be able to accommodate that for you.. but if by chance they don't just do the old order everything, say you need to go washroom, and pay for it before you get back.

I vote blue water cafe though.. expensive but I like going there haha

Special K 04-20-2013 06:16 PM

Some Chinese people don't like "western" seafood joints. They think that boiling it with water is wasting the food.

Why don't you take them to a restaurant that serves chinese seafood, but the dishes are not widely available in Asia? I'd suggest king crab, lobsters, geoduck, and even crabs.

You can take them to a steakhouse for western food because beef in Asia is meh.

Jayboogz 04-20-2013 06:19 PM

Sunsuiwah. Enough said
Posted via RS Mobile

skiiipi 04-20-2013 07:10 PM

I want to avoid chinese simply because my uncle is some sort of gov. Official in China and eats at those Chinese Banquets almost daily.
Not that I want to go out of my way to 'impress' them, but just want them to try smth that's more unique for them.

I was debting on Black&Blue or Gotham's for steak, but I remember taking my mom to the Metropolitan Grill (top steakhouse in seattle) once and ordered her a wagyu NY strip, and she couldn't taste the difference between that and a steak from the keg....I know total facepalm. But since this is her sister, worried that my aunt might also not appreciate steak.

I was thinking for either coast, or blue water, I'll do the seafood tower, and maybe some grilled lobster...can't see them not liking that.

I was debating some of the more 'touristy' places, like the revolving resturant on top of the Harbour centre, or Observatory, but I heard the food at the revolving resturant is pretty mediocore. And the view at the obervatory is really hit/miss depending on how foggy it is.
Posted via RS Mobile

skiiipi 04-20-2013 07:11 PM

I'm hesistant on the C resturant, becuase I don't know if my aunt/uncle can appreciate the smaller portion/sauces that their dishes usually come w/

I don't really know them that well, nor do I know the asian culture that well, w/ the exception that I know Asians like their lobsters and crabs...
Posted via RS Mobile

Marshall Placid 04-20-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special K (Post 8218134)
Some Chinese people don't like "western" seafood joints. They think that boiling it with water is wasting the food.

Why don't you take them to a restaurant that serves chinese seafood, but the dishes are not widely available in Asia? I'd suggest king crab, lobsters, geoduck, and even crabs.

You can take them to a steakhouse for western food because beef in Asia is meh.

I agree with this statement!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayboogz (Post 8218135)
Sunsuiwah. Enough said
Posted via RS Mobile

A lot of new Canadians and tourists actually do go to Sun Sui Wah Richmond.

There is a huge billboard right at the arrivals walkway in the Airport.

--------------

On a side note, if it MUST be West-Coast seafood, I agree with one of the responder's "Bluewater" choice.

You get:

Best Seafood voted by Vancouver Magazine for most of the years for the last decade.

Best Restaurant voted by the same magazine from 3 years ago.

They don't like seafood? Then Bluewater has Wagyu beef as well (call in advance to make sure they have it... they usually have 5 to 9 ounces daily enough for 2 people).

And, if your aunt and uncle like Japanese, you can STILL get it at Bluewater. Yoshi will give you fresh and delicious sashimi as well as creative sushi rolls. Try their fresh OFF THE TANK lobster sashimi... it is VERY good.

Plan 4 days in advance though for a WEEKEND reservation! And if you aunt and uncle likes a quiet space/table, ask for the Pacific room which adjoins the main dining room. The Pacific room is much quieter.... and WILL IMPRESS (basically, a huge wine room). Ask for Tara during reservations and she will try her best to sit you.

C Restaurant has been going downhill since 6 years ago.

Since then, I only tried it three times, and all of them were only average or below average when compared with Bluewater.

Coast is relatively new and "up and coming".

The good thing about Coast is Thierry, for desserts is just right across the street, so you can take your aunt and uncle for great desserts and coffee.

Salmon House? Food is.... below average, but the view is spectacular. Make sure you get a window seat. If you MUST go to Salmon House, try their crab cakes.

I haven't tried Miku, but I heard it is better than Tojo's and a little cheaper (but still expensive), but the seating is cramped (from images).

--------------

If you haven't tried Hawksworth... it will impress them the most.

Best restaurant voted by Maclean's magazine........ best in CANADA (you can tell them that and they will surely be wowed...).

And also best restaurant voted by Vancouver magazine for the last 2 years I believe.

And, the location is stunning.

The entrance at the back (valet) will impress as well, with their Hotel cars and such (Bentley Continental, etc.)

Jayboogz 04-20-2013 07:25 PM

Well if your uncle is a good official you should take them to eat king crab Imo.. They don't have it in many parts of China how do I know? I work in wholesale seafood. Chinese food is a lil different here than back in the motherland. You should take them out for king crab one night and Bluewater. Trust me, can't go wrong with ssw, if you want to step it up... Kirin
Posted via RS Mobile

Bonka 04-20-2013 07:32 PM

I agree go for the safe bet and take them to chinese restaurants. You can mix in a western type restaurant in there at the beginning (to test waters) but my experience with family and friends are that they will prefer chinese cuisine at chinese restaurants even if that's all they've eaten. If it's not the portion sizes they complain about, it's the cooking methods, yada yada..

skiiipi 04-20-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid (Post 8218185)
I agree with this statement!

A lot of new Canadians and tourists actually do go to Sun Sui Wah Richmond.

There is a huge billboard right at the arrivals walkway in the Airport.

--------------

On a side note, if it MUST be West-Coast seafood, I agree with one of the responder's "Bluewater" choice.

You get:

Best Seafood voted by Vancouver Magazine for most of the years for the last decade.

Best Restaurant voted by the same magazine from 3 years ago.

They don't like seafood? Then Bluewater has Wagyu beef as well (call in advance to make sure they have it... they usually have 5 to 9 ounces daily enough for 2 people).

And, if your aunt and uncle like Japanese, you can STILL get it at Bluewater. Yoshi will give you fresh and delicious sashimi as well as creative sushi rolls. Try their fresh OFF THE TANK lobster sashimi... it is VERY good.

Plan 4 days in advance though for a WEEKEND reservation! And if you aunt and uncle likes a quiet space/table, ask for the Pacific room which adjoins the main dining room. The Pacific room is much quieter.... and WILL IMPRESS (basically, a huge wine room). Ask for Tara during reservations and she will try her best to sit you.

C Restaurant has been going downhill since 6 years ago.

Since then, I only tried it three times, and all of them were only average or below average when compared with Bluewater.

Coast is relatively new and "up and coming".

The good thing about Coast is Thierry, for desserts is just right across the street, so you can take your aunt and uncle for great desserts and coffee.

Salmon House? Food is.... below average, but the view is spectacular. Make sure you get a window seat. If you MUST go to Salmon House, try their crab cakes.

I haven't tried Miku, but I heard it is better than Tojo's and a little cheaper (but still expensive), but the seating is cramped (from images).

--------------

If you haven't tried Hawksworth... it will impress them the most.

Best restaurant voted by Maclean's magazine........ best in CANADA (you can tell them that and they will surely be wowed...).

And also best restaurant voted by Vancouver magazine for the last 2 years I believe.

And, the location is stunning.

The entrance at the back (valet) will impress as well, with their Hotel cars and such (Bentley Continental, etc.)

Hey thanks a lot for this post!
I guess Blue Water Cafe will be the Western Joint of choice!
And I will ask for the Pacific Room! Thanks a lot for the tips!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayboogz (Post 8218196)
Well if your uncle is a good official you should take them to eat king crab Imo.. They don't have it in many parts of China how do I know? I work in wholesale seafood. Chinese food is a lil different here than back in the motherland. You should take them out for king crab one night and Bluewater. Trust me, can't go wrong with ssw, if you want to step it up... Kirin
Posted via RS Mobile

Good to know!
so Kirin is better than SSW? I dont eat chinese often, so I honestly dont know whats good these days.
They are coming last week of May, wouldnt King Crab Season have ended by then?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonka (Post 8218200)
I agree go for the safe bet and take them to chinese restaurants. You can mix in a western type restaurant in there at the beginning (to test waters) but my experience with family and friends are that they will prefer chinese cuisine at chinese restaurants even if that's all they've eaten. If it's not the portion sizes they complain about, it's the cooking methods, yada yada..

Thanks! I will take this advice, and likely do a mixture of Chinese and Western for the few days that I will be spending with them.

skiiipi 04-20-2013 07:43 PM

On another note,
hows the Fish House in Stanley Park?
I know I will have to take them around Stanley Park, so I was thinking of maybe doing lunch there.
Or would you guys suggest Cactus Club English Bay, or Convention Centre (something casual, but good view)

Jayboogz 04-20-2013 08:14 PM

Both Kirin o and ssw are good in terms of food Kiran is more expensive and is quieter than most Chinese joints k. Call in and ask when they stop serving king crab pretty sure you can reserve one if needed!

Sry autocorrect not work
Posted via RS Mobile

skiiipi 04-20-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayboogz (Post 8218234)
Both Kirin o and ssw are good in terms of food Kiran is more expensive and is quieter than most Chinese joints k. Call in and ask when they stop serving king crab pretty sure you can reserve one if needed!

Sry autocorrect not work
Posted via RS Mobile

Which Kirin Location is best?

EvoLove 04-20-2013 09:11 PM

i would say the kirin by starlight . then again i eat there alot so yea...
Posted via RS Mobile

Jayboogz 04-20-2013 09:15 PM

Cant go wrong with downtown. Newly renovated
Posted via RS Mobile

Marshall Placid 04-20-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8218245)
Which Kirin Location is best?

Richmond all the way.

The downtown one (first Kirin, but renovated front entrance) is average.

The Cambie one is a little better than the downtown one.

The Starlight one is the same as the Cambie one.

Richmond is noticeably better than all the other 3.

IMHO, it's THE best Chinese restaurant in Vancouver.

Oh yeah, it's been picked as the top 3 best Chinese restaurant by Vancouver Magazine as well:

Best Upscale Chinese 2012 | Vancouver Magazine

When making reservations, mention "Yuki" (the hostess) by name and you could get better window seats.

Max, one of the higher managers is great. Well, all of the servers give good service (when compared to other Chinese restaurants).

Marshall Placid 04-20-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 8218212)
On another note,
hows the Fish House in Stanley Park?
I know I will have to take them around Stanley Park, so I was thinking of maybe doing lunch there.
Or would you guys suggest Cactus Club English Bay, or Convention Centre (something casual, but good view)

The Fish House is much more casual than your first posted restaurants.

It's good at their price point and you should try their lobster oil sauce on bread.

It's the sister restaurant of the [now closed for several years] the Cannery at the Port.

skiiipi 04-20-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid (Post 8218378)
The Fish House is much more casual than your first posted restaurants.

It's good at their price point and you should try their lobster oil sauce on bread.

It's the sister restaurant of the [now closed for several years] the Cannery at the Port.

Ah yes, the cannery used to be one of my fave
I still frequent pink peppercorn, opened by one of the chefs from the cannery.
I was thinking Fish House more for casual lunch while we do the stanley park thing.
Posted via RS Mobile

Minto 04-20-2013 11:15 PM

Would you be able to find out what kind of food they're interested in or want to avoid? Might help narrow (or widen) choices.

Hawksworth might be worth checking out as well; they always have some seafood and Asian-inspired dishes. Tons of awards too and with good reason.

6793026 04-20-2013 11:16 PM

C Resturant: I been there twice last yr and the food is still exceptional. very quiet place and you can eat upstairs or downstairs. this way, if the bottom gets too crowded or too loud, jut ask them before hand to sit upstairs.

Coast is WAY WAY WAY too loud. you won't get a chance to talk and have a good dinner. It's is just epic loud.
Blue Water Cafe: great food. just make sure you have reservations and tell them you want to sit osmewhere quiet. not sure how many people there will be
Miku: it's not bad, but it's jap food. i would stay away. stick with C or West.

skiiipi 04-20-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glikoe (Post 8218404)
Would you be able to find out what kind of food they're interested in or want to avoid? Might help narrow (or widen) choices.

Hawksworth might be worth checking out as well; they always have some seafood and Asian-inspired dishes. Tons of awards too and with good reason.

Totally forgot about Hawksworth....might be worth considering.
I asked my cousin what kind of food they like, he didn't really know, he said seafood should be safe.

They are used to the typical Chinese style banquets, but I definitely want to at least take them out for 1 nice "western" meal.

Minto 04-22-2013 07:14 PM

Saw this today, might help you out! Tons of categories: Vancouver Restaurant Awards 2013 | Vancouver Magazine

Here's a couple categories:
Quote:

Best Seafood
1. Blue Water Cafe
2. Yew
3. Landmark Hot Pot House

Best Upscale Chinese
1. Hoi Tong
2. The Jade
3. Kirin

Best Upscale
1. Hawksworth
2. Blue Water Cafe
3. Diva at the Met

Best Upscale French
1. Le Crocodile
2. Bacchus
3. Five Sails

Best Dim Sum
1. Dynasty Seafood
2. The Jade
3. Kirin

Best Steakhouse
1. Hy's
2. Gotham
3. Hamilton St. Grill

MelonBoy 04-22-2013 09:45 PM

I vote Kirin for chinese restaurant.

If you get the King Crab, be sure to tell them to make the crab part (closer to the body) stir fried/coated in egg yolk style sauce. Its fucking orgasmic.
Geo Duck is a chinese fan favourite, I swear they love that more then king crab. Just saying.

Special K 04-22-2013 09:52 PM

If anything don't order whole chicken. People from HK and China always complain that our chicken sucks and have no head. :/
Posted via RS Mobile

bcedhk 04-22-2013 09:55 PM

hon's :troll:

Taste Good Wonton Seafood Restaurant has a nice variety of seafood/meat dishes that has a bit of a "canadian" twist to it.