REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
old quality tires or new entry level tires?

I'm about to purchase tires for my car, and have two options:

Michelin Pilot Sport from 2008, 80% tread - $650

Sumitomo HTR ZIII - Brand New - $710 + tax depending on border

Between the two, i'm not too concerned about the cost difference. I know the michelin's are a better tire, but they're 5 years old, and aren't at full tread.

Would you just get the new HTRs or get the Pilot Sports off craigslist.

If it makes a difference, the pilot sports were garage kept since 2010.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Get the new tires. Tires have expiry dates too so getting a new pair of tires will last you longer under normal conditions. Also, it's like buying someone's old shoes :/

Here's a little literature care of crappy tire:
Quote:
DETERMINING THE AGE OF A TIRE

Determining the age of a tire is an important factor to consider in maintaining the quality and safety of a vehicle. Until a tire shows visible signs of deterioration, most motorists consider it useable. However as tires age, their quality decreases as a result of weather, storage conditions, and usage. In fact, studies have proven that the rubber components in tires have a tendency to dry up after 6 years, even if they have never been used. This deterioration increases the risk of a malfunction such as a flat-tire or blow-out that would decrease the overall operational safety of your vehicle. Although it is impossible to pinpoint an exact expiration date, as a general rule, all tires (even your spare ones) should be replaced after 10 years from the date of manufacture.

If your tires appear to be in good condition and you are unsure of their age, you can always refer to the sidewall of the tire to find the date the tires were manufactured. The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires Tire Identification Numbers (or Tire Serial Numbers) to be included on each tire. These codes consist of the letters DOT, followed by a series of numbers and letters. For tires that were manufactured after the year 2000, the last four numbers of the code will identify the week and year in which the tires were manufactured. For example, the following identification number indicates that the tires were manufactured in the 51st week of the year 2008: DOT CX8J 3C2 5108. For tires that were manufactured before the year 2000, the date will be represented in the last three digits of thfe tire. For example, the following identification number indicates that the tires were manufactured in the 40th week during the 8th year of the decade (1998): DOT U2LL LQLR 4088.

If you are still unable to determine the age of your tires, consult a professional technician who will be able to tell you when or if your tires need to be replaced.
Canadian Tire

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote