REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

The building is almost 15 years old. But I haven't heard of leakages in the building until the unit directly upstairs decided to renovate their place and possibly fucked up both bathrooms.

Couple years ago my other washroom had a similar leak and was fixed.

Why did you fail melloman's suggestion dinosaur?
Advertisement
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I think you need to deal specifically with the strata\building management company. Call the head office...non-stop until you get in-touch with the property manager who oversees your specific property.

People are so quick to throw "lawsuit" out there. Everyone wants to sue this person, sue that person, threaten to sue to for this or that. You need to step back and really look at what is happening. YES, this is kinda gross and and hassle , but it is nothing to have a brain aneurysm over.

You are not going to be able to dictate who they hire to fix the problem, the only thing you have the right to request is that the plumber is certified.

DO you REALLY want to spend time and money dealing with lawyer (who won't give a shit) and filing a lawsuit? come on...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
The point isn't to pay money to a lawyer.

It's an empty threat that will either get your problem fixed quicker, or leave you at the stalemate your currently in anyway.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #29
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
The point isn't to pay money to a lawyer.

It's an empty threat that will either get your problem fixed quicker, or leave you at the stalemate your currently in anyway.
But what happens if the other owner calls your bluff? Suddenly you're either stuck forking out money to hire a lawyer or simply looking like a douche after throwing out an empty threat. Chances are they wont take you seriously once you start asking for certifications and whatnot.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #30

If my unit was to get shit-water all over, and they called my bluff;

I'd go to small-claims court and sue for damages to interior surfaces, clean-up of un-sanitary waste, and loss of pay to deal with this issue.

Small-claims court = no lawyer. Lets not forget.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Must be our young generation lawsuit happy.

But aside from routing the leak back upstairs to them, you absolutely have to light a fire under their ass or you gon get fucked with nothing in return.
Posted via RS Mobile
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #32

I understand filing a lawsuit or going to small claims court would be my last resort. We are neighbours and the best solution would be to negotiate and cooperate.

The fustrating part is that I cannot dictate any action. And upstairs can continue to play games unless the strata take enforceable action.

The challenging part is to engage with upstairs and strata to fix the leakage ASAP, without looking like I am harassing them every hour.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #33

Goodluck.

Spoiler!

Don't forget to TRY then to get some compensation from the strata/unit owner/property owner for the damaged ceiling and if your flooring got damaged. Goodluck on this too. (Might see it in like a year or 2)
Quote:
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #34
I STILL don't get it

man, if I had shit leaking through my roof i would be pissed off.
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noventa View Post
man, if I had shit leaking through my roof i would be pissed off.
Hell yes, I'd be pissed off too.

But screaming and yelling "lawsuit" and losing your shit is a rather immature way to deal with the situation.

You don't "get shit done" by throwing a temper tantrum.

You "get shit done" by being calm, professional, and contacting the correct resources to fix the problem.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
Director of RS Cares

Kinda off topic but still relevant-ish....but why anyone wouldn't have insurance when living in a strata building is beyond me.

Water leaks/floods happen all the time whether it's from legit accidents (laundry flood/dishwasher/etc) or from STUPID people who for some reason it's a good idea to hang their clothes on the sprinkler heads, or turning on the water reserve from the roof for funsies (like one of our buildings in YT that was all over the news awhile ago; we had JUST installed new hardwood a week before it happened but luckily our suite escaped any major damages)

The amount of $$ you pay for your insurance is peanuts compared to the damages that might occur if something BAD did happen.

Anyways, OP I hope you get things figured out and fixed. There's nothing worse than dealing with a homeowner/tenant who doesn't follow the rules for one and who is not cooperative when shit hits the fan (literally).
Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #37

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Theres a grow op upstairs and its almost time for cropping thats why she's taking her time. The so called shit water is soil water. That's also the reason why she doesn't want you entering her suite with your plumber.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,048 Times in 551 Posts
OP, i dont know about your building specifically, but for my family when we had a similar situation, well, our problem was we saw some cracks in the walls.

I also called/emailed my strata multiple times to no avail. It wasn't ratified until I got to meet our building manager. (not our building elected council members) but the manager who our management company hired to oversee our building.

What I ended up doing was me taking a few photographs of the wall, uploaded to my ipad. Drove over to our management company, waited there until the manager was ready to see us.

note, i didnt go in there yelling and swearing. (but i guess our situation was not nearly as bad as yours) But I was polite and dressed professionally. I just wanted the problem solved. Once our manger was notified of the situation. He apologized for the delays and had an inspector come to our unit the very next day.

that was my experience, good luck OP! (skip the strata, go straight for management)

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Out of curiosity, would a building's strata have any say or responsibility in a situation like this?
I would think that the floor between the two suites would be considered "common property" which would then create obligations on the part of the strata/property management company to become involved, at least as a liaison or mediator between the two property owners.

I think the OP should check his bylaws to see what the strata/property management company's obligations are in situations like his.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote