REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Urgent: Leaking Washroom Ceiling from Above

About 10 days ago, I discovered the ceiling of my washroom is leaking brown-ish water down. It turns out that the suite directly above me may have plumbing issues when they renovated their place.

My ceiling drywall is now cut up, the pipe looks rotten/rusted. What appears to be shit water is coming down for the past 10 days...

The owner upstairs is taking her sweet ass time to "assess the situation" and "evaluate her options". She wouldn't open her door for our plumber to take an estimate because she has her own plumber. Asking us to deal with her plumber directly...

We do not want to use her plumber because he wasn't good last time he helped us fix our other washroom's ceiling. (We have two washrooms)

Strata seems to have no urgency to help fix the situation either.

My mom is stressed out because it appears to be shit water coming down. We cannot use that washroom and several bugs have dropped down from the opened ceiling. This is somewhat a health/sanitary concern.

What can we do? Are there any relevant laws we can follow or ask strata to follow? Can the city do anything about it? I imagine lawyering up would be my last resort, but wouldn't a lawsuit take a longggggggg time?
Advertisement
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is a civil issue. City Of Vancouver Property Use Inspectors do not have jurisdiction when it comes to Strata Properties.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Maybe don't actually lawyer up yet, but threatening the strata and the tenant with lawyers is a good way to light a fire under their asses. Although I'd wonder why the plumbing in the floor would have been touched by those above you anyways in a reno. If there were shit leaking on my head in my bathroom though, MY plumber would have fixed it already, and I'd tell her to go fuck herself if she asked me to wait for her plumber.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Give something in writing to the strata that's dated. Keep records of everything that's going on. Keep complaining. A lawyer is not going to speed things up.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, whoever is doing the work holds the liability. I pay like $1000 a year for my liability insurance(which doesn't even cover everything I do...shh).

I don't give a shit which plumber she wants to use. That's the first thing. I'd either tell her, this guy goes and takes a look, or I go through the strata and...this guy goes and takes a look. If I had done something that caused a leak downstairs, I would be apologetic and trying to do whatever I can to work with the guy, not strong-arming him out of the bathroom.

She doesn't want you in the bathroom...that's the problem. Why? Probably no permits, or the strata doesn't know what she's doing.

One person might start making calls, and a bunch of shit for her.

Myself? I'd level with her, tell her I don't care what you are doing...I want my guy to look and know that nothing else is going to rain in on my head. Step aside. Then hand her the bill for plumber and drywall repair. And no, your cousin, whom I'm sure that while he hasn't actually done drywall repair, but watched it on tv is really good, I'm going to hire someone that charges an obscene amount, and bill it to you. And when I say obscene, I don't mean profane, I mean really offensive. :wink:
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

I am drafting up a letter right now. Would the language in the Strata Act be relevant?

Strata Property Act

(2) An owner, tenant, occupant or visitor must not cause damage, other than reasonable wear and tear, to the common property, common assets or those parts of a strata lot which the strata corporation must repair and maintain under these bylaws or insure under section 149 of the Act.

or...

(1) An owner, tenant, occupant or visitor must allow a person authorized by the strata corporation to enter the strata lot
(b) at a reasonable time, on 48 hours' written notice, to inspect, repair or maintain common property, common assets and any portions of a strata lot that are the responsibility of the strata corporation to repair and maintain under these bylaws or insure under section 149 of the Act.

It doesn't seem relevant because my bathroom and her bathroom are not strata property.. or is it?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

Oh, the unit upstairs does not have insurance...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Does your strata require you to have insurance? I know a lot do, and if she doesn't, she's in for a fine and (pretty soon) a small claims suit, I'd guess.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Im pretty sure most stratas require confirmation of insurance every year
fines are pretty hefty if there is no insurance
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
not sure if this can apply but its worth a shot. collect the brown water in a jar and send it off for testing. a safe route maybe through vancouver coastal health saying water is being leaked into your unit and you have sanitary and health safety concerns.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #11

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Im pretty sure most stratas require confirmation of insurance every year
fines are pretty hefty if there is no insurance
I never had to give confirmation of insurance when I owned my townhouse.

I actually had a similar experience as the OP except I was the guy that leaked on my neighbor below. Had just moved in, had renovated prior to moving in and when the dishwasher was hooked up the hose wasn't secured. I started the dishwasher left the house, came home to a flooded kitchen. It leaked through the neighbours ceiling. I was lucky because where I worked, I just sent some guys over to fix it who I worked I with.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 04-21-2013 at 09:21 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Call your insurance company and let them deal with her insurance company and take her to court.. that's the easiest.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Call your insurance company and let them deal with her insurance company and take her to court.. that's the easiest.
She has no insurance...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

The pretty much it is small claims and you have to wait on her.

Just an example to get insurance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
She has no insurance...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
shit water and bugs, that sounds horrible
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #16

Wait.. who is "she" (your mom or the other person above you?)? if you have insurance.. that's fine.. call them.. they will fix your place and sue her to recover the money.

Quote:
She has no insurance...
Old 04-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #17

My mom has insurance. The owner upstairs (she) has no insurance.

It's extremely annoying that upstairs is on the driver seat. Even if we repair our end, her pipe upstairs is still leaking and it's not even a band-aid solution.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #18
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Unfortunate situation, but your issues are pretty minor; it's not like a pipe has burst and is flooding your unit.

I would; take a quick picture of the present condition to present in small claims, put on gloves and wrap the pipe with electrical tape or use hose clamps to hold on a rubber patch, and seal off the hole in the ceiling with plastic and tuck tape. A temporary repair will solve your immediate complaints and ease your mom's stress level. 15 minutes worth of work and $10 or less, pretty simple.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Do what Gridlock said. Most problems will be magically solved when you mention the word "lawsuit".
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
I STILL don't get it

Quote:

It's extremely annoying that upstairs is on the driver seat. Even if we repair our end, her pipe upstairs is still leaking and it's not even a band-aid solution.

I don't understand. Since you are insured, why isn't your insurance company rectifying the situation for you?
noventa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #21

Easy then just call your mom's insurance company, DON"T touch the damage until the insurance company has seen it and documented it. They will send remedial / restoration company to fix it promptly and charge the owner upstairs. It is not rocket science.

Quote:

Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #22

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
What happens when it leaks again? It sounds like it's leaking from his neighbours unit, she wouldn't provide access for his plumber what do you think she's going to say when the insurance company sends someone over? It doesn't sound like she's going to let them in to fix the main issue. You going to keep fronting those deductibles, the insurance company isn't just going to waive them and say we'll collect from the upstairs tenants. They will reimburse if they collect but that's a big if, it sounds like the upstairs tenant isn't going to cooperate.

I feel for the OP, obviously the first step is getting the upstairs tenant to fix the leaking issue. Until that's fixed no point in repairing the drywall. I would do what mindbomber said and temporarily put up some poly or something so you can still use your washroom. Document everything, if she doesn't fix it in a reasonable time you can go after her for more then just cosmetic damage to your bathroom.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
This is what you do:

1.) Write a "letter" that says: "You have 3 days to fix the water leak problem, if this is not done in 3 days a lawsuit will be slipped underneath your door for ALL DAMAGES.
2.) Make a copy for yourself & for the strata.
3.) Go give her the fucking letter.
4.) Call up your insurance company and tell them and your going to sue the cunt if she doesn't handle shit NOW.
5.) Have a coffee.

She doesn't have insurance, so I'm sure when she see's a piece of paper threatening a lawsuit, she'll take her head out of her ass.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Out of curiosity, would a building's strata have any say or responsibility in a situation like this?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
how old is the building?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote