REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Vancouver Sun, Province offer employee buyouts as revenues plummet (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683329-vancouver-sun-province-offer-employee-buyouts-revenues-plummet.html)

BurnoutBinLaden 04-24-2013 07:33 PM

Vancouver Sun, Province offer employee buyouts as revenues plummet

Vancouver Sun, The Province offering employee buyouts - The Globe and Mail

The memo: Vancouver Sun, Province buyout memo » Steve Ladurantaye

tiger_handheld 04-24-2013 07:39 PM

interesting.

Tapioca 04-24-2013 08:04 PM

I'm surprised this release didn't go out maybe last year or even a year earlier.

It's a vicious cycle: people prefer to get news online/as it happens -> advertisers leave -> revenues decline -> papers can't afford investigative reporting and good journalists -> content quality declines -> subscribers leave

That and the fact that Craigslist/Kijiji took away a huge cash cow: classified ads.

Sid Vicious 04-24-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8221390)
I'm surprised this release didn't go out maybe last year or even a year earlier.

It's a vicious cycle: people prefer to get news online/as it happens -> advertisers leave -> revenues decline -> papers can't afford investigative reporting and good journalists -> content quality declines -> subscribers leave

That and the fact that Craigslist/Kijiji took away a huge cash cow: classified ads.

actually, this may not be a bad thing. traditional journalism is more often than not safe, boring and relatively tame. now, bolder media outlets offering more interesting content such as vice will become more profitable and influential

Lizzie Widdicombe: The Vice Guide to the World : The New Yorker

yray 04-24-2013 08:15 PM

:lawl: they don't even call to ask if I want free trials anymore

nns 04-24-2013 08:25 PM

http://www.addic7ed.com/images/showimages/wire.jpg

trancehead 04-24-2013 08:34 PM

journalism is in the process of translating to modern media
i hope the professionalism remains

of course there are some popular outlets online that push garbage out
whats nice about this is that if the article allows comments, readers can trash or praise what was written. so we get some instant feedback

of my limited time on Twitter: Bob Mckenzie of TSN is a damn good source on twitter

bing 04-24-2013 09:52 PM

I can't speak for the Vancouver Sun but the Province isn't that great of a paper. It's written in very basic English and the paper itself was too thin and devoid of any content.

JesseBlue 04-24-2013 09:58 PM

i think the metro and 24 has more to do with their demise than online content....i read those freebies everyday and i'm fine with my mornings worth of news...then you use the net for additional news...then local tv fr supplemental news viewing...

willystyle 04-24-2013 10:06 PM

The Province and Vancouver Sun has been lacking for years. The website is too simplistic with a lack of digital content compared to other major newspapers in North America. They attempted to run an online subscription program for digital users to access the full version of their newspaper. Needless to say, that failed miserably. If people need to go online for news, there are TONS of free resources available. They have failed to re-invent themselves in recent years, and thats what happens. They've been on a decline for over the past decade as news became more and more easily accessible (RSS feeds, Google News (groups all online news sources), National Post and Globe and Mail (National newspapers with a national audience, with much better digital content).

I am not surprised that they didn't buyout/layoff sooner.

Volvo-brickster 04-24-2013 10:34 PM

My family subscribed to Vancouver sun for 20+ years.

We finally stopped last month because $47 a month for 6 day delivery seemed a little too much given both online + cable news service is always available.

Declining subscriptions doesn't surprise me at all.

Mr.HappySilp 04-25-2013 08:52 AM

They wont' be miss. I was looking through their website after 5 articles a pop up saids I have to sub..... LOL why would I pay when I can get the same contect for free.

Also doesn't help that we see 24hour and metro news all over for free.

I am surprise yellow page is still around though.

Lomac 04-25-2013 09:02 AM

To be honest, I actually enjoy reading a physical newspaper in the morning. Maybe it's just nostalgia (probably not) but just like books vs ereaders, I prefer it over reading through various websites. That said, the morning paper is no longer full of breaking news. They tend to be no more than recaps of the previous day's events. I'll still go online if I want to catch up on the latest and newest news breaking out. As the Boston marathon event proved, even traditional TV news stations were lagging behind most online sources.

As an aside, disregarding the fact that The Province is a pretty poor newspaper, I prefer the simple book-like layout compared to most other traditional papers (y'know, the ones you have to unfold like a glovebox map book until it covers the entire dining table).

BurnoutBinLaden 04-25-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8221495)
i think the metro and 24 has more to do with their demise than online content....i read those freebies everyday and i'm fine with my mornings worth of news...then you use the net for additional news...then local tv fr supplemental news viewing...

The Sun and Province source yesterday's news. Metro and 24 Hours source yesterday's Twitter feeds/Vancitybuzz.com stories.

Spoon 04-25-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8221495)

Only reason to read Metro or 24 is because they're free and it helps kill time on public transit (if you don't already have a smartphone). I read mainly sports and business news, and their content really is shit. :heckno:

Most of my news/content come from Twitter feeds now. I haven't paid for any conventional newspapers for more than a decade probably.

TPMarko 04-25-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8221737)
They wont' be miss. I was looking through their website after 5 articles a pop up saids I have to sub..... LOL why would I pay when I can get the same contect for free.

Also doesn't help that we see 24hour and metro news all over for free.

I am surprise yellow page is still around though.

the best part is that their pop-up is flawed. i just hit "ESC" to stop the page from completely loading once the article is up and i can read it.

highfive 04-25-2013 10:04 AM

Am I the only one that subscribes to the Sun to read the business and sports section every morning while taking a shit? lol

willystyle 04-25-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8221742)
To be honest, I actually enjoy reading a physical newspaper in the morning. Maybe it's just nostalgia (probably not) but just like books vs ereaders, I prefer it over reading through various websites. That said, the morning paper is no longer full of breaking news. They tend to be no more than recaps of the previous day's events. I'll still go online if I want to catch up on the latest and newest news breaking out. As the Boston marathon event proved, even traditional TV news stations were lagging behind most online sources.

As an aside, disregarding the fact that The Province is a pretty poor newspaper, I prefer the simple book-like layout compared to most other traditional papers (y'know, the ones you have to unfold like a glovebox map book until it covers the entire dining table).

I am with you for this one.

mos_skeeto 04-25-2013 12:28 PM

I like how the sun and province require you to sign up for reading articles... and all you have to do is open an incognito tab to bypass it

Vansterdam 04-25-2013 12:32 PM

the day vancouver sun tried charging me for reading their articles online :fuckthatshit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPMarko (Post 8221771)
the best part is that their pop-up is flawed. i just hit "ESC" to stop the page from completely loading once the article is up and i can read it.

YUP lol

nabs 04-25-2013 12:44 PM

I know exactly what you mean, and it's not even all about nostalgia for me really. I have yet to find an eReader that satisfies my eyes as print on paper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8221742)

Spoon 04-25-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 8221934)
the day vancouver sun tried charging me for reading their articles online :fuckthatshit:

Globe & Mail's heading for the paid subscription model too. :heckno:

punkwax 04-25-2013 04:48 PM

Agree that Province is much easer to read (physically) than others.

Hate getting newspaper ink on my fingers..

TheKingdom2000 04-25-2013 05:32 PM

My dad loves his paper. He gets really upset if he doesn't get to read it. He has his own sidney crosby rituals/routines in the morning before he goes into work and reading the morning paper is at the top of his list.

That being said, I don't think there are enough people like him. And if there are, they are slowing dying off. If they ever stop delivering papers, he's going to go crazy.

Gridlock 04-25-2013 11:21 PM

They could probably save a ton by ditching one of the 2 papers.