REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Outrageous fast foods you can't eat in America

I've had the Sub from Subway India and it wasn't that bad.

Cheese Burger Crown Crust Pizza,
Pizza Hut, Middle East

Quote:
Did you think stuffed-crust pizza was the pinnacle of mankind's achievement in pie innovation? Clearly, you've never been invited to the "Crown Crust Carnival" that rages at Pizza Huts in the Middle East, where you can dine like royalty on a Cheese Burger Crown Crust Pizza: a pizza topped with beef, tomatoes, lettuce (keeping it healthy), and Pizza Hut's special sauce, with a ring of grilled mini cheeseburgers on top of the crust.

Gouda Shrimp-Cutlet Sandwich, (Photo: Picasa/Food Science Japan)
KFC, Japan

Quote:
Surf and turf is a beloved and traditional menu option in the United States, so why does KFC deny us this sandwich where the "surf" is shrimp and the "turf" is deep-fried cheese? You'll have to go all the way to Japan if you want to get your hands on the Colonel's secret weapon, the newest invention in the fast-food arms race: a Gouda Shrimp-Cutlet Sandwich, in which a hunk of cheese is stuffed with shrimp and then deep-fried.

Mega Mac
McDonald's, United Arab Emirates

Quote:
Remember that classic commercial jingle for the Big Mac that brags about "two all-beef patties"? Well, UAE diners are probably laughing at its quaintness while they unhinge their jaws and shove a Mega Mac down their throats. That's right—while we get Ronald McDonald's pity ration of two patties, other countries are getting Big Macs made with four layers of beef and three buns. Stage a dine-in protest by ordering two Big Macs and combining them into a homemade Mega Mac

Green Tea Blizzard,
Dairy Queen, Thailand

Quote:
Green tea has been shown in studies to help fight cancer and heart disease, but apparently Dairy Queen isn’t concerned with our health: They only offer the Green Tea Blizzards in Asia. Thanks for nothing, Dairy Queen—we'll just cry into our boring Oreo Blizzards while we wait for Death to tap us with his icy hand from the next booth over.

Dry Pork and Seaweed Donut
Dunkin' Donuts, China

Quote:
You know what the problem is with American doughnuts? The complete lack of meat. How are we supposed to get our protein if our breakfasts only consist of chocolate or glazed? Dunkin' Donuts in China is on top of this problem with a donut suitable for breakfast, lunch, or dinner—the Dry Pork and Seaweed donut, a traditional pastry topped with dehydrated and pulverized pig and globs of seaweed.

Mac 'n' Cheese Pizza
Pizza Hut, Germany

Quote:
Sure, regular pizza is a delicious blend of carbs and cheese, but wouldn't it be better if it had even more of both? Germans certainly thought so, and their market demanded satisfaction from Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut's German Facebook fans liked it the best, and thus the Mac 'n' Cheese Pizza, a pie topped with pasta and smothered in cheese sauce, was born.

Tower Burger
KFC, Australia

Quote:
This is a travesty! KFC is named after a U.S. state, yet while we must make do with only two sandwich choices, other countries have more than double the options on their abundant menus. Take the Tower Burger, for example: Available at KFC in Australia, it's a fried-chicken patty topped with a hash brown, tomato sauce, cheese, lettuce, and sweet mayo. Thanks for nothing, Colonel
Jelly and Ice Cream
Burger King, UK

Quote:
Jell-O is America's favorite dessert (at least according to the probably biased Jell-O Gallery website), yet our Burger King menus are devoid of any gelatinous treats. Only in the UK can you order a Whopper and a Jelly and Ice Cream, which is strawberry-flavored "jelly" (the British version of Jell-O) topped off with ice cream. "Warning," brags Burger King's British website, "This product is prone to wobbling." Our lips are wobbling right now as we struggle to hold back tears over not being able to order this.

Veg Shammi,
Subway, India

Quote:
Vegetarians are getting the shaft at American Subways, which have only two meatless options: a sad "Veggie Delite" (a.k.a. salad on a roll) or a floppy "Veggie Patty" (made of no identifiable vegetables known to mankind).

Yet in India, they have a buffet of options (literally!). Our favorite is the mouth-watering Veg Sammi, a kebab made from lentils, garlic, and onion served on fresh bread.
Nacho Fries
Wendy's, Japan

Quote:
We bet Dave Thomas is rolling over in his grave at this corruption of Wendy's classic fries. Indecisive eaters in Japan no longer have to make the wrenching choice between nachos and fries—they can have both with Wendy's Nacho Fries, a dish of fries topped with guacamole, chili, cheese, and jalapeno peppers. Americans have to trek to both the Wendy's and Taco Bell drive-through windows if they want to dine on something that awesome. Your move, USA.
http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/outrag...224842296.html
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,686 Posts
All these fast food items look delicious. Just like Burger King's slogan "Have it your way."

It is good to see other countries have their own variations on fast food items.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
I really want the Green Tea Blizzard!
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

jello + ice cream.....
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
green tea blizzard yes please
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
I don't get it

It's not fast food but Kinder Surprise is illegal in America...people have been fined by US Customs for trying to bring it into the country. Actually when it comes to junk food America misses out. No Aero, no Maltesers, no Coffee Crisp, no Smarties, no Rolo, no Caramilk.

Also we get the Mega Mac (it's known as the Double Big Mac)

On the flip side, you can find clone recipies on the internet for the food we don't get in Canada (Planet Hollywood, Applebee's, Red Lobster, Long John Silvers, Popeyes, etc)
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
holy fuck i want that green blizzard
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
It's not fast food but Kinder Surprise is illegal in America...people have been fined by US Customs for trying to bring it into the country. Actually when it comes to junk food America misses out. No Aero, no Maltesers, no Coffee Crisp, no Smarties, no Rolo, no Caramilk.

On the flip side, you can find clone recipies on the internet for the food we don't get in Canada (Planet Hollywood, Applebee's, Red Lobster, Long John Silvers, Popeyes, etc)
-Kinder Surprise is no longer illegal (they were banned for having non-edible embedded in edible material)
-Maltesers are called "Whopper's" in the USA (they are they exact same thing)
-They have Rolo chocolate bars
-Applebee's and Red Lobster are in Canada (just not BC)
-You can also buy smarties, coffee crisp, and aero at British candy stores in the USA.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
we eat jello and ice cream at home, as young as I can remember, never knew this was an oddity. And they have crown pizza here now at pizza hut.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
-Kinder Surprise is no longer illegal (they were banned for having non-edible embedded in edible material)
-You can also buy smarties, coffee crisp, and aero at British candy stores in the USA.
Maltesers != Whoppers || Maltesers >> Whoppers

There used to be an Applebee's in High Gate iirc. The closest canadian red lobster is Edmonton
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
I don't get it

Quote:
Actually the Kinder Surpise itself is still illegal, and a petition has been started to end the ban. However, a knockoff is now in stores.

You were right about Maltesers and Rolo, but I'm not going on a cross country trek for Applebees and Red Lobster. Which is why I mentioned the clone recipes. There used to be a lot of US chains here (TGI Fridays in Metrotown, Tony Roma's on Pacific and Hornby, Hooters on Robson) but they left in the late 90s for reasons unknown. I think the only one left is Red Robin. I remember Applebees in Port Coquitlam in 2007 but it didn't last long. There's just too much competition from local sit down chains like White Spot and Boston Pizza.

Also, we have ketchup chips and McFlurries.

Anyway...a lot of snack foods and soft drinks in the rest of the world are made with real sugar, but in North America they're made with glucose-fructose (called HFCS in the US) because of corn subsidies and an embargo on Cuban sugar-it's cheaper to use the substitute. HFCS/glucose-fructose has been linked to the obesity epidemic. In fact the corn lobby wanted to rename it corn sugar but the US government said no.

Also, does anyone know if there's Fanta in Canada? I had it when I was in Ethiopia.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

^^^
Yes, it's owned by coca cola now and you can find it everywhere, they don't have the awesome international flavours tho, only cream soda and orange, they used to sell tangerine here, but can't seem to find that anywhere anymore.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
^^^
Yes, it's owned by coca cola now and you can find it everywhere, they don't have the awesome international flavours tho, only cream soda and orange.
My dad was telling me there was a Coke and Fanta shortage in Ethiopia, and it made international news. It's cheaper than clean water there (unfortunately)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post

Veg Shammi,
Subway, India
I always get a veggie delight, the veggie patty is just too strange.

THAT, looks amazing though... the only option on the list I wish we had here..
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

I ate at that Applebee's in PoCo once....easily some of the worst restaurant food I had ever had.

You can get Fanta here...look for it at small corner stores.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:
I ate at that Applebee's in PoCo once....easily some of the worst restaurant food I had ever had.
I expected nothing less. Couldn't compete with the established local chains.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

Red Lobster is in Canada, and has been for awhile...

Red Lobster is pretty awful. Small portions and overpriced. Subpar at best.
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
All the fast food chains in Japan and Asian in general have such creative menu choices, mouth-watering too. I remember Japan had 3 or 4 different types of McChicken awhile back, including German Sausage and one where the actual chicken patty was dipped in cheese

McDonald's Japan also had some kind of Aussie burger with reuben beef inside as well, and an array of rice bun burgers and various scrumptious stuff.

If anyone ever has a chance to visit Japan, as crazy as it sounds, I highly recommend you try their McDonald's, it's completely different compared to McDonald's here in North America.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

McDonald's in Costa Rica serves rice and beans...looked tasty, but never tried it. Exploring and experiencing a new country, for me, does not include eating McDonald's, lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
All the fast food chains in Japan and Asian in general have such creative menu choices, mouth-watering too. I remember Japan had 3 or 4 different types of McChicken awhile back, including German Sausage and one where the actual chicken patty was dipped in cheese

McDonald's Japan also had some kind of Aussie burger with reuben beef inside as well, and an array of rice bun burgers and various scrumptious stuff.

If anyone ever has a chance to visit Japan, as crazy as it sounds, I highly recommend you try their McDonald's, it's completely different compared to McDonald's here in North America.
That's because in Asia, western fast food chains are seen as high-end, luxury restaurants, as a very once in a blue moon treat. A Big Mac meal is 27 RMB in China and the average wage in the cities is about 500 RMB a month.

When Windows 7 came out, Burger King in Japan had a Windows 7 whopper-7 patties. It was 777 yen ($9 CDN)
Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
I don't get it

If anyone is interested in making the clone recipes at home, I can put the books on my Dropbox (if the mods say it's okay)
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
That's because in Asia, western fast food chains are seen as high-end, luxury restaurants, as a very once in a blue moon treat.
Hmm not sure about calling it high end luxury food. More like over priced. At least that's how I feel when I'm in Asia. There's just better more interesting food to be had for the dollar.
Posted via RS Mobile
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
Quote:
That's because in Asia, western fast food chains are seen as high-end, luxury restaurants, as a very once in a blue moon treat. A Big Mac meal is 27 RMB in China and the average wage in the cities is about 500 RMB a month.

When Windows 7 came out, Burger King in Japan had a Windows 7 whopper-7 patties. It was 777 yen ($9 CDN)
that's not true
it may not be as common as they are here but $9 burger isn't far from what we pay here...cost of living in japan is not cheap either

On topic..I can't wait to eat some MOS again in a week or two
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
ABSOLUTELY DO FUCKING WANT
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
all this food looks way better then then the fat ass horrible ideas they have in Merica
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: