REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Importing a BMW from USA

Found a 09 135i in the states for a good price. I've been trying to research on the importation process and I hear that you have to change the instrument cluster at a BMW dealership on these cars from MPH to KPH is this true? making it not worth the hassle
Kind of conflicting because I have a ex-US x5 with MPH still as the main cluster
Advertisement

Last edited by pb.kidz; 04-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/35580...-province.html
Posted via RS Mobile
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
I've been through the importation process of bringing a US BMW into Canada however, it was for an older BMW (E36 M3.)

My gauge cluster already has MPH and KPH. I can't speak for the 1 series as I've never been in one but if it's electronic, I'm willing to bet that you'll have to pay the dealership to flash the software etc. to make it compliant. You'll have to bring the car to a dealership anyway in order to obtain the recall letter so you don't have much choice.

I suggest you contact a local BMW dealership to get a better idea of what it can possibly cost you.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
You don't have to change if km/h is also listed. My 330 is from California and still has the mph as the primary reading
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Yeah the 135i US has KPH readings under the MPH
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Then you don't have to change it

Keep in mind you have to do a federal inspection so if the car has no DRL, has tints, no front plate bracket, etc. then you have to make it compliant to pass inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
RS Veteran

^
+1

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The 135i already has DRLs on it
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I did a 135 salvage vehicle out of the US and yes, had to change the cluster. At the end of the day it was a hassle. Wouldn't do it again.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantz View Post
I did a 135 salvage vehicle out of the US and yes, had to change the cluster. At the end of the day it was a hassle. Wouldn't do it again.
Did it have the dual MPH/KM cluster?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The 135i got both mph and kmh on the cluster, so there was no need at all to change the cluster. Must have been ripped off by the bmw dealer, since they will tell u that u need a cdn spec cluster, climate control unit and programming. Its all bullshit.

I imported my M5 from California 2 years ago and it was a walk in the park. Once its in Canada, I got the federal and provincial inspection done the next day. Walk over to the insurance agent and out I go with my plates and papers.
E60_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
The 135i got both mph and kmh on the cluster, so there was no need at all to change the cluster. Must have been ripped off by the bmw dealer, since they will tell u that u need a cdn spec cluster, climate control unit and programming. Its all bullshit.
So do you have to change the cluster or not?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I brought my M5 in and did NOT have to change the cluster (it has both kmph and mph on it)

However, it depends on the car, and possibly the dealership. The existence of KMPH on the dial alone is not enough to tell you.

Call the dealer and ask about your specific car.

Right now, i would say that shantz's opinion has the most credibility in this thread.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
RS Veteran

^
Ditto.

Sometimes, BMW Canada (or the dealership) can really give you the run around because in the end, they are the ones who give up the recall letter. You have to play by their rules.

If you are determined enough to bring in this 1 series, best thing you can possibly do now is to build a good, solid working relationship with your BMW dealership of choice and to get the details you need and make sure they will help/guide you along the process.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
^OT but
bcrdukes your posts are always so informational Glad to have you around, pal!
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Imported 135i last Dec. Used the Warranty inquiry print out as recalled letter
then switched on DRL and got inspection done all done on the same day that it was brought over. Nothing else was necessary.

E60_M5 - Did you get the latest recall done up here or in the States?
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I brought my M5 in and did NOT have to change the cluster (it has both kmph and mph on it)

However, it depends on the car, and possibly the dealership. The existence of KMPH on the dial alone is not enough to tell you.

Call the dealer and ask about your specific car.

Right now, i would say that shantz's opinion has the most credibility in this thread.
BMW Canada is a rip off, they will only give u a recall letter if u pay for a new cluster, climate control unit and coding. Its all a cash grab and none of that needed to be done. There are ways around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgate View Post
Imported 135i last Dec. Used the Warranty inquiry print out as recalled letter
then switched on DRL and got inspection done all done on the same day that it was brought over. Nothing else was necessary.

E60_M5 - Did you get the latest recall done up here or in the States?
Dealer is full of shit and told me 1200 for cluster, 400 for climate control, and another few hundred for coding and the letter. They are full of it and none of that is needed to be done. If the cluster or even if there is a digital readout with "KMH" readout. THERE IS NO NEED AT ALL TO CHANGE THE FREAKING CLUSTER. Ignore the dealer up here, there are other ways to get the recall clearance like as mentioned. Warranty inquiry printout.

I got my recall done at autowest and I even got all 4 of my cats replaced under the 7 years emission warranty at BJ which cost over $12000.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

E60_M5 - Great info! Thanks.
Sorry, one more question. I take it that warranty work is accepted up here for you based on " I even got all 4 of my cats replaced under the 7 years emission warranty at BJ"? I need some warranty work done and don't want to drive down to Seattle if I don't have to. Based on your experiences, is autowest or BJ better for warranty work?

Btw, there is a 1er meet coming in late May

Quote:
BMW Canada is a rip off, they will only give u a recall letter if u pay for a new cluster, climate control unit and coding. Its all a cash grab and none of that needed to be done. There are ways around it.

Dealer is full of shit and told me 1200 for cluster, 400 for climate control, and another few hundred for coding and the letter. They are full of it and none of that is needed to be done. If the cluster or even if there is a digital readout with "KMH" readout. THERE IS NO NEED AT ALL TO CHANGE THE FREAKING CLUSTER. Ignore the dealer up here, there are other ways to get the recall clearance like as mentioned. Warranty inquiry printout.

I got my recall done at autowest and I even got all 4 of my cats replaced under the 7 years emission warranty at BJ which cost over $12000.
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulgate View Post
E60_M5 - Great info! Thanks.
Sorry, one more question. I take it that warranty work is accepted up here for you based on " I even got all 4 of my cats replaced under the 7 years emission warranty at BJ"? I need some warranty work done and don't want to drive down to Seattle if I don't have to. Based on your experiences, is autowest or BJ better for warranty work?

Btw, there is a 1er meet coming in late May
Yes warranty work can be done here in Canada. But, the free maintanence and any CPO coverage from the US is not valid in Canada.

Call up BMW Store and get booked in with Richard. He is a friend of mine and a service advisor there.

If u got any more questions, just pm me. I am here to answer questions.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, that's pretty lame. I'm glad I didn't get hosed for bringing in my M3. My gauge cluster has both MPH and KPH but my climate control cluster is in imperial.