REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Clearing Corners on Headlights (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683484-clearing-corners-headlights.html)

ForeverYours 04-29-2013 09:16 AM

Clearing Corners on Headlights

Hello all,

I did a quick search but couldn't seem to find the answers I needed.

This is regarding having the yellow/amber parts of the headlights being taken out. Is it perfectly legal here in BC or would I happen to risk receiving tickets if I do clear the corners?

Thanks in advance!

Nlkko 04-29-2013 09:55 AM

risk of a vt yeah.

I too have clear corners but with orange stock bulbs so it emits orange light anyways. I think as long as you dont have something tacky like white lights, then chances that you're pulled over are low.
Posted via RS Mobile

jlenko 04-29-2013 10:23 AM

I don't have the section of the MVA... but you are required to have reflectors at the corners of the vehicle. If you remove them, and a cop notices, yeah you could face a ticket. Or a VI.. depending on how much other seemingly-illegal stuff you have on your vehicle.

J.C 04-29-2013 10:32 AM

what if you have switchbacks?

!Aznboi128 04-29-2013 04:46 PM

^ still need amber reflectors

zulutango 04-30-2013 04:10 AM

Simple answer her. If your reflector/light is not the same as it came from the manufacturer then...

General lighting requirements

4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

(4) The function of 2 or more lamps or reflectors may be combined if each function meets the following requirements:

(a) no turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stop lamp unless the stop lamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing;

(b) a clearance lamp must not be combined optically with a tail-lamp or identification lamp

seekerbeta 04-30-2013 08:49 AM

As i read that (and i might be totally out to lunch) it must be equivilent to those provided by the factory, and must comply with the MVSA and SAE Standards.

zulutango 05-01-2013 05:07 AM

Get Reader's Digest do ya? ;) You are correct.

seekerbeta 05-03-2013 07:17 AM

but what would be the RCMP and Judges Definition of Factory Equivalent, technically if we were to buy non oem bulbs to put in the car that could not be "Equivalent"

zulutango 05-03-2013 09:42 AM

It depends on what bulbs you buy. Same wattage, same beam pattern but non OEM would be equivalent. Over wattage, different pattern or HID "conversion kit" would not be.

Anjew 05-05-2013 10:37 AM

my headlights are retrofitted with the amber corners cleared out using a clear colour bulb that flashes amber. I still have the amber reflector intact. i primarily drive in vancouver/burnaby/richmond/whistler(sea 2 sky) and never get hassled for it at all even when going through a road check.

i think you are fine as long as thats the only issue. however if you have other issues(being a douche to the officer, loud exhaust, illegally tinted windows) the officer might call you on it as well.