REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Read this recently:
Paying for a special-needs child - Apr. 22, 2013

Might give some perspective in regards to the emotional toll and financial costs related to raising an autistic child.
Advertisement
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #27
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
"There but for the grace of God, go I."

I feel for these people. I try hard not to judge people. Need to walk a mile in their shoes.

Tough decision, but what is best for the child is priority.

Cannot even begin with, "If it were me, I would..................."
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I can't imagine the internal struggle they deal with everyday between their parental love and the absolute frustration of dealing with a child with disabilities. I don't know if I'd have the patience.

But at the same time, I know a girl with a condition that confines her to a wheelchair...but she's not only a genius but a great person...witty, funny, just all kinds of awesome. I couldn't imagine abandoning someone like her if she was my child.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #29
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
.....and the scary part is, what if they had what most of us take for granted. Freedom of mobility.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
what "abandon the child".... Stupid title. Give them a round of applause for doing what's best for the kid and not just throw him/her into a dumpster.
Posted via RS Mobile
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think with disabilities, it makes the disparity between rich and poor more apparent.

I know a few .com ers are "retired" but have to take care of their autistic child; the majority of their time and resources is spent with therapists, art, music, activity (you name it they have a therapy for it). Virtually all the "pure" autistic kids with therapy have intelligence more than a 12 year old (the kid can solve topology problems better than most undergrads). My friend's kid is now mostly normal and will go to university, but still if you manage to get at his "blind spot", he completely falls apart. It gets tough when not to be a helicopter parents in this regard because they can get bullied so easily.

The problem with North American society is currently we stigmatize mental institutions. However in cases like autism where the clients can get overwhelmed really easily, a quiet place is probably a good thing to start off. But thanks to the gov trend, the only psych facilities we have are prisons, where things are really out of sight and mind. I really hope Douglas will be able to establish a psych nursing school at the old Riverview facilities because it is sorely needed.

Even if the person have the intelligence of a 12 year old that bing had suggested, it doesn't mean they don't have a mind. They just don't evolve beyond the capability of a 12 year old, it doesn't mean they don't have emotions, love and even urges for sex. Think the movie "The Session"

If people want to experience situations like this up close and personal, I highly suggest one to to at least get a better perspective, give l'arche a visit or volunteer there.

Last edited by godwin; 05-02-2013 at 01:54 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: