REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Road Tests

im not sure if this is the best place to put this or if theres a thread for this already, but i was wondering from experience or anything, wheres the best place to take your Road tests in the lower mainland? thanks.
Advertisement
skyline32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
imo it shouldn't really matter, you should know how to drive regardless where you are
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Richmond! Why do you think there are so many bad drivers that passed their test in Richmond

Lol jk back on topic,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
imo it shouldn't really matter, you should know how to drive regardless where you are
I see it as how to pass the test. If we were to take a test while just driving normally we would fail in no time. Stopping completely before stop sign line before proceeding forward to check, completely stop before the crosswalk when doing a right turn on a red light before proceeding etc...

Yet we don't do any of those things on a regular commute to work.

Nowadays it's not knowing how to drive to pass, it's knowing how to pass.

Anyway, best I would say is Richmond. No hills = no hill parking. I'm assuming this is your first road test. Get your driving instructor to take you through the test routes in Richmond. Be sure to watch out for 30km/h school zones.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
And 30km/h park zones too^^
Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

driver somewhere you are similar with. Its nice to know where the 30km zone are located and how long the merges are.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Port coquitlam. No merge on highway.

Ever since they moved their icbc center to poco, their highway merge is lougheed hwy and/or maryhill bypass

Lots of tricky 30kmh zone, parks, hill parking
Posted via RS Mobile
hc529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Okay, thanks guys, i called in earlier and booked it at point grey area, but im reconsidering on booking it at a different area now, and another thing was do i have to bring my own vehicle? or can i use one of their vehicles to take the test with? she hung up on me before i could ask
Old 05-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Your own or instructor I don't think icbc has cars you can lend
Posted via RS Mobile
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline32 View Post
Okay, thanks guys, i called in earlier and booked it at point grey area, but im reconsidering on booking it at a different area now, and another thing was do i have to bring my own vehicle? or can i use one of their vehicles to take the test with? she hung up on me before i could ask
Rent your instructor's or bring your own. Bad idea to test with a stick car as it is harder to pass and easier for a new driver to screw up.

Best to bring the car you are most used to parking with.

My instructor taught me to park a Corolla by using the triangle window in the rear passenger side door. Other instructors have different methods and such.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
You can book your test online too in case you didnt know.

You must provide your own car that is fully functional and road worthy (ie. No glass cracks, all lights working, good tire tread etc)

I took my N test at Pt.Grey and i found it to be pretty easy. I wasnt very familiar with that area but i found that to be better as I was more attentive to signs and everything.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
^ same.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Seems like the question is already answered, but choose a centre that is in a mostly flat, sparsely congested area.

I happened to do the complete opposite, still passed, but I can see it being much easier if you find the "ideal" place.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
If we were to take a test while just driving normally we would fail in no time. Stopping completely before stop sign line before proceeding forward to check, completely stop before the crosswalk when doing a right turn on a red light before proceeding etc...

Yet we don't do any of those things on a regular commute to work.
Speak for yourself, fucknut. I respect the law and need my car and licence to be able to work... so if I lose it, I'm fucked. Therefore, I obey the law. Besides, I'd rather be able to spend money on things I want instead of traffic tickets.

Following the law is easy..

EDIT: Especially when you know you're doing it... the first pedestrian you kill by blowing past the line, you know you do it.. time to change the way you drive buddy.

Last edited by jlenko; 05-03-2013 at 01:07 PM.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Someone's jimmies...... they're rustled.

I can see what swfk is talking about, Like I shoulder check when I switch lanes and put a signal on but do I reconfirm with my mirror after I switched into my lane........no. I don't think he's talking about YOLOing it down the highway at 145km like that kid a couple days ago.

Maybe some of the situations he gave is just his personal experience but there is a point in his post.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Burnaby Lougheed has lots of hills and school zones... I practised those test routes countless times beforehand...didn't get perfect on test day tho
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #16

I took my road test for class 5 in langely last week. I didn't want to take my Integra cause its slammed, loud, gutted interior etc so I rented a car from avis. You're allowed to use a rental as long as it's in your name. So you may have to be 25+? Test was really easy. Just do a lot of shoulder checks and be aware of everything around you. Don't speed through parks or school zones and you should be fine. Good luck.
jeffwilliams17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
OVER EXAGGERATE EVERY MOVE. This means, move your head like you are getting bitch slapped when you look both ways. Also, use your mirrors. Don't stress out because the likelyhood of you failing your road test from demerits are lower than you failing from 1 dangerous action. As jc95 pointed out, location makes little to no difference unless you're memorizing the school zones. REMEMBER, THIS IS A ROAD TEST, don't drive as you normally would regardless. Be extra cautious but stay confident.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #18
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
OVER EXAGGERATE EVERY MOVE. This means, move your head like you are getting bitch slapped when you look both ways. Also, use your mirrors. Don't stress out because the likelyhood of you failing your road test from demerits are lower than you failing from 1 dangerous action. As jc95 pointed out, location makes little to no difference unless you're memorizing the school zones. REMEMBER, THIS IS A ROAD TEST, don't drive as you normally would regardless. Be extra cautious but stay confident.
Posted via RS Mobile
Couldn't have said it better myself. Exaggerate everything. It's more like a performance or demonstration you show the examiner opposed to other things. Remember to do a 360 check every time you put the car in reverse, shoulder check every moment you flick a signal light etc.

If you need any assistance, PM me. The dad's an instructor
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
I don't get it

My route was so easy. 90% was on small streets with no traffic. I was late to the richmond icbc and you need to book it 3 months in advance. The lougheed one gave me a spot the next day.
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
racing & tech mod.

Talk thru all your actions, so the examiner knows youre doing it. You may think you did a shoulder check, but the examiner didnt see it. If you SAY it as youre doing it, he will not miss anything. Also it helps to verbalize what youre looking at, so the examiner knows where you are looking. This will raise his confidence level in you and as long as you dont make any critical mistakes, will help you pass as well.

The one major thing that bugs me, is when students are taught to pass a test. You should be being taught to be a safe driver. You will pass the test automatically if you were taught to be a safe driver. If you were taught just to pass the test, you are going to be a hazard once you are on your own.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Speak for yourself, fucknut. I respect the law and need my car and licence to be able to work... so if I lose it, I'm fucked. Therefore, I obey the law. Besides, I'd rather be able to spend money on things I want instead of traffic tickets.

Following the law is easy..

EDIT: Especially when you know you're doing it... the first pedestrian you kill by blowing past the line, you know you do it.. time to change the way you drive buddy.
Woah there I respect others while you respect the law, no need for nut fucking lol. Good on you for obeying the law but as mentioned, I did use the wrong examples and I do apologize for that.

Let's use another example, by not scanning the intersection super obviously by rotating your head from side to side while being the first car to proceed on green may cause the driver to fail the driving test.

A friend of mine failed exactly like that. It's not that this friend did not scan, just wasn't obvious enough.

I'm not talking about yolo-driving, I'm just saying that it's tougher than your daily commute if we just simple know how to drive anywhere anytime.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
If you know the rules of the road, then you should have no problem and doesnt matter which place you go..

The main things to look out on are

Pre-Inspection, Shoulder Checking, SPEEEEEED limit
Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #23

okay thanks guys, i wanna book driving lessons (not because i cant drive), but just due to the fact that i might miss a few things around doing shoulder checks etc. or anything else. and for those who took the road test at point grey, did you guys have to do hill parking? if so where?
Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
^I did it....EVERYWHERE. I had to park right after I got out of the alley to the school zone which was weird...then I had to park another 5 times... You shouldn't need to park more than 3 times though. Examiner told me he instructed me to park numerous times to see if I could accelerate fast enough to keep up with traffic.

(the only times you probably need to park are: Hazard Awareness, straight reverse, incline, reverse/head in stall parking).
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Was nervous as fuck during my N test, Couldn't back up properly into the spot at the very end even though i could/can do it effortlessly. Calm your nerves and you'll do fine. Although the woman doing the testing couldn't get the door shut without it hitting her leg she was so... big... was INCREDIBLY awkward.
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: