REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Jeff Hanneman of slayer dies May02/2013 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683631-jeff-hanneman-slayer-dies-may02-2013-a.html)

westopher 05-02-2013 11:27 PM

Jeff Hanneman of slayer dies May02/2013

Very upsetting death today for the rock/metal world. One of the musicians any young guitar player would aspire to be. RIP Jeff, you will be on my speakers all weekend, and as usual I'll be listening to you absolutely tear up the guitar for the rest of my life wishing I could play like that.

Founding Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dies - latimes.com
Quote:

Jeff Hanneman, founding guitarist of the thrash metal band Slayer whose furious riffs and chaotic bursts of power chords helped drive a revolution in heavy metal, has died, the band announced via Facebook on Thursday. Hanneman, who had been taking a break from the band to recover from an illness that affected his liver, died of liver failure, according to the announcement.

Hanneman, 49, was born in Long Beach, and had been battling an ailment thought to be caused by a spider bite. The band's statement on Facebook read:

“Slayer is devastated to inform that their band mate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. He was 49. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.”

PHOTOS: Notable deaths of 2013

Slayer formed in Huntington Park in the early '80s when Hanneman and fellow guitarist Kerry King joined forces. In 2011 while on tour, Hanneman landed in a hospital emergency room with an undisclosed illness.

The band offered an update recently on its website:

“As you know, Jeff was bitten by a spider more than a year ago, but what you may not have known was that for a couple of days after he went to the ER, things were touch-and-go. There was talk that he might have to have his arm amputated, and we didn't know if he was going to pull through at all. He was in a medically-induced coma for a few days and had several operations to remove the dead and dying tissue from his arm. So, understand, he was in really, really bad shape...”

dinosaur 05-03-2013 12:37 AM

heard about this earlier today....rip :( dude was a fucking epic guitarist.

1BADMR2 05-03-2013 05:12 AM

RIP
Grew up listening to Slayer and skateboarding downtown Calgary.

Acura604 05-03-2013 10:40 AM

RIP. Slayer was a bit too fast for my early years as a Metallica/Megadeth fan.

...all the more reason to stomp spiders on sight!

Vansterdam 05-03-2013 03:35 PM

spider bite :heckno:

Farfetched 05-03-2013 04:19 PM

Wasn't too surprised there wasn't a RIP Chi Cheng thread. Really surprised there was a Jeff Hanneman thread on this board. Will never forget seeing them almost 10 years ago at the Commodore. I think I still have some of his Hanneman/Heineken picks somewhere.

dinosaur 05-03-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farfetched (Post 8228137)
Wasn't too surprised there wasn't a RIP Chi Cheng thread. Really surprised there was a Jeff Hanneman thread on this board. Will never forget seeing them almost 10 years ago at the Commodore. I think I still have some of his Hanneman/Heineken picks somewhere.

Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting this thread on RS either...did not surprise me there wasn't an RIP Chi thread.

JHatta 05-04-2013 05:19 AM

RIP

My favourites

SkinnyPupp 05-04-2013 05:41 AM

Here it comes - more and more of the musicians we grew up listening to are going to be leaving us over the years :okay:

MindBomber 05-04-2013 03:26 PM

RIP, what a way to go....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farfetched (Post 8228137)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8228226)
Yeah, I definitely wasn't expecting this thread on RS either...did not surprise me there wasn't an RIP Chi thread.

RS needs more rock/metal/punk discussion.

I made a thread.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/683660-rock.html

white rocket 05-06-2013 07:24 AM

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman - crazy about the spider bite thing.