REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Music & Clubbing

Music & Clubbing Rock your official RS Gear from Shop.Revscene.net (keyword search REVSCENE)
New tracks, videos, top hits, concert info and post discussion, music industry buzz, club hot spots, clubbing lifestyles..

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #26
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Arcade fire is one of my all time favourites. Such an amazing band.

Imagine Dragons - Demons is one of my current fave songs!

Other bands I'm currently listening to (mostly 102.7 stuff)
-mother mother
-tegan & sara
-fun
-black keys
-modest mouse
-city and colour
-of monsters and men (going to the concert on sunday!!!!!)
-metric
Advertisement

Last edited by zetazeta; 05-07-2013 at 08:29 AM.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
^ Saw them at Deer Lake Park years ago, great show. Opener was St. Vincent.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
^ Saw them at Deer Lake Park years ago, great show. Opener was St. Vincent.
Ughhh LUCKY YOU!!! i wasnt that into music when they were in town... i told myself I'm gna spend an arm or leg for their next vancouver concert. Having watched all their live shows on youtube, I have to say they are amazing in person!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
What's the deal with this Folk Rock revival going on right now with Mumford & Sons & The Lumineers? I barely listen to the radio now but was surprised to hear the genre on top 10 radio, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps Arcade Fire winning a Grammy paved the way?
It seems a lot of these bands gained popularity when their songs were in some pretty good movies. Its kinda like "Garden State"....good movie...GREAT soundtrack. Its kind of how The Shins got a leg up with mainstream listener.

I like some of it....can't stand Arcade Fire but some time I am in the mood for something a little light and "singy".

Also, hipsters.

My top bands:
-Alice in Chains
-Tool
-Stone Temple Pilots
-Sublime
-Hole\C. Love
-Pink Floyd
-The Who
-Motley Crue
-Van Halen
-The Band
-The Eagles
-Fleetwood Mac
-ELO
-Megadeath
-Pantera
-Soundgraden
-The Gandharvas
-Some hippy 60s music
-Lots of 70s rock
-Good 80s rock-metal
-ALL 90s grunge
-2000s-recent...maybe a handful....black keys, the sheepdogs, etc

One of my fav 90s bands\songs:

Last edited by dinosaur; 05-07-2013 at 08:38 AM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post

Imagine Dragons - Demons is one of my current fave songs!

Yeah I'm not going lie....I'm kinda digging Imagine Dragons right now
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

This man is awesome and setting himself to be one of the greats!

397936_10151602197746558_389830042_n.jpg
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #32

Quote:
What's the deal with this Folk Rock revival going on right now with Mumford & Sons & The Lumineers? I barely listen to the radio now but was surprised to hear the genre on top 10 radio, seemingly out of nowhere. Perhaps Arcade Fire winning a Grammy paved the way?
I like mumford and sons, but not so much lumineers. I think ho-hey is the only song I like from them whereas the rest are meh. I think lumineers and m&s are on many radio channels right now.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,151 Times in 7,150 Posts
Seen thrice live 6 times, including in seattle at showbox for their farewell tour. I swear their set was 3 fucking hours long. It was honestly phenomenal. Dustin's voice is one of my favourites in rock/metal/punk today. Its so fucking savage, and so melodic at the same time. They are such a fucking evolutionary band. Every album was so different, but never sounded forced. Them announcing they were calling it quits was one of the most disappointing days in music for me.
On another note, the folk rock revival thing can be pretty cool, like edward sharpe for me. I really hate mumford and sons though. I'm pretty sure its actually just great big sea with a new name and fake accents.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Good_KarMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

ooooh, Day I Tried to Live is one of my all time favs!!

Am currently adjusting my playlist b\c of this thread Thanks Mindbomber!
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Anyone know when Boston will be touring again this year? There is nothing on their website about any schedule.
I LOVE BOSTON!
RHMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
ooooh, Day I Tried to Live is one of my all time favs!!

Am currently adjusting my playlist b\c of this thread Thanks Mindbomber!
You're welcome, Dino!

I suspect, I'm the only one here who saw Eddie Vedder's solo acoustic performance a couple years ago? It was the greatest concert I've ever been to (and I've seen 100+), and almost undoubtedly, ever will be to.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-07-2013 at 03:48 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Banned By Establishment

oh man, his Into The Wild soundtrack is epic! Always on heavy rotation...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #39
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f0ng View Post
I'm glad TDG and A7X were mentioned in this thread. Listened to both of these bands religiously throughout highschool and they both remain one of my favorites to this day (at least the original lineup albums from both bands). TDG and One-X were definitely my favourite albums from TDG. Their most recent album just didn't do it for me for some reason. And I agree with the video you posted. Their Live at the Palace show was just plain awesome. Adam is a hell of a singer. Was pretty bummed when he quit the band.

A7X on the other hand, I like their recent stuff more than their old. I know a lot of people prefer their older, heavier, screamo material, but I actually liked City of Evil and A7X more than Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Waking the Fallen.
Yeah, TDG's latest album was pretty so-so. The only 2 songs that seem to catch my ear are Chalk Outline and High Road.

No one knows for sure why Adam quit, though the word out there is "due to vocal health issues." Which isn't all that surprising. I personally know the drummer of a band (probably best kept anonymous) that toured with TDG a few times, and he said that Adam would have coffee while smoking a joint like 3-4 times everyday. And as a singer, the worst things for your voice are smoke, caffeine, alcohol, and salt.

However, judging by the posts on Adam's FB page, he was sick of writing the same songs over and over. I guess the label kept pushing him to write catchy melodies, with no real message or emotion behind them, and he just had enough.

A7X is just a freakin cool band altogether. M Shadows' voice is damn good. Though I'm not too fond of the weird inflections he uses when he sings the lower notes, but that's just nitpicking.

I don't care too much for screaming in general, but the way Adam and Shadows can hold a smooth note with that grit is just fucking awesome.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #40
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
Thrice is one of the most underrated bands
I saw them live and i fucking love it.

Artist in the Ambulance is one of my favorite songs out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Seen thrice live 6 times, including in seattle at showbox for their farewell tour. I swear their set was 3 fucking hours long. It was honestly phenomenal. Dustin's voice is one of my favourites in rock/metal/punk today. Its so fucking savage, and so melodic at the same time. They are such a fucking evolutionary band. Every album was so different, but never sounded forced. Them announcing they were calling it quits was one of the most disappointing days in music for me.
Thrice is waaaay underrated.

Seen Thrice 3 times myself as well. Just. Fucking epic.

Dustin and Teppei pretty much make the band. Their writing and performance skills are just SO damn solid. Not to take anything away from the bassist and drummer. Some of their drum lines are pretty intense too.

Quote:
On another note, the folk rock revival thing can be pretty cool, like edward sharpe for me. I really hate mumford and sons though. I'm pretty sure its actually just great big sea with a new name and fake accents.
I don't know how I feel about the folk scene coming back. I can't explain it, but I think I err more to the "dislike" side than the "like" side. Even though folk is supposed to be more "honest," for whatever reason, it seems more gimmicky to me.

I'm with you on the Mumford thing. They seem like they're trying way too hard to be different. To be uncool because it's cool.

However, when it comes to the folk vein, I actually like that Phillip Phillips dude more than Mumford. He seems more down to earth, and you can tell by his performances and his album that he's not trying to impress anyone or be anything special. Which is way more charming than having a folk sound just for the sake of being in that genre.

When he worked with Jimmy Iovine, Jimmy said that Phil basically did everything. Phil knew exactly who he was an artist and exactly what he wanted his songs to sound like, and Jimmy ended up doing next to nothing in terms of producing, because Phil didn't need anything more than what he already had.

When he was asked to do this AOL session with a full band, he chose to do it acoustic, just him and his guitar. Shows that he doesn't need any smoke and mirrors to hide behind. This cat has my respect.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
+1 for Phillip Phillips, he was one of my favorites from the start on AI11. The way he changed up the songs he did was absolutely unique. He doesn't have the most "perfect" vocals, but he puts his soul into every word, which is a rarity in the industry these days, nevermind just on AI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
A7X is just a freakin cool band altogether. M Shadows' voice is damn good. Though I'm not too fond of the weird inflections he uses when he sings the lower notes, but that's just nitpicking.

I don't care too much for screaming in general, but the way Adam and Shadows can hold a smooth note with that grit is just fucking awesome.
Haha yeah I agree with you about how M.Shadows sings lower notes. Not a big fan of that throaty thing he does. I am however, a huge fan of The Rev's voice. I don't even know how to describe it. It just works. Him and Aaron Gillespie (in his Underoath days) are my favourite drummer+singer combination. Such a shame the rockstar lifestyle took The Rev's life so early.
j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f0ng View Post
Haha yeah I agree with you about how M.Shadows sings lower notes. Not a big fan of that throaty thing he does. I am however, a huge fan of The Rev's voice. I don't even know how to describe it. It just works. Him and Aaron Gillespie (in his Underoath days) are my favourite drummer+singer combination. Such a shame the rockstar lifestyle took The Rev's life so early.
The Rev's was more special because A7X as a whole was heavier than the other screamo-ish bands, so the contrast between his voice and Shadows was bigger. Sorta like Dallas Green when Alexisonfire was still together.

I've never been much of a fan of the whinier sounding vocals mixed in with screaming (The Used, Silverstein, Bullet for my Valentine, Underoath, etc etc), though I did like select songs from each of the listed bands.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,151 Times in 7,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post

I've never been much of a fan of the whinier sounding vocals mixed in with screaming (The Used, Silverstein, Bullet for my Valentine, Underoath, etc etc), though I did like select songs from each of the listed bands.
It was such a formula when I was in high school. Sing a verse about being in love, scream about how they ruined your life and you want to kill them, sing about how you'd still do anything for them. Not going to lie, there are tons of songs from bands mentioned I like, and ones that were there as well, but the bands that had any longevity really grew out of that. i.e. Underoath, thursday, brand new, even Taking back sunday. The ones that didn't disappeared so fast.
I've been listening to a lot more straight up punk rock like back when I got into the music like Bronx, Lawrence Arms, Rancid, Gallows,etc. A few chords, a good riff, and some fast as fuck drums behind a guy yelling his fucking face off never goes out of style.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #45
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It was such a formula when I was in high school. Sing a verse about being in love, scream about how they ruined your life and you want to kill them, sing about how you'd still do anything for them.
This song below totally came to mind when I read that.

Ladies and gents... I give you Skrillex when he was still Sonny Moore. (Lead singer)

Who knew that in a few years after this video, this emo kid would sweep at the Grammys for becoming one of the biggest names in electronic music.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 05-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
Wanna have a threesome?

I'm into Motley Crue, it's classic metal.

I've seen them twice (GM Place, AESC); in person, I'm a little meh about them. The show is interesting, but the antics detract somewhat from the quality of the music. I want to see them onstage, pouring there heart into the music with that being the single focus.

Dr. Feelgood - "Kickstart My Heart" (1989)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #47
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
One band I wish i got to see growing up

and then System of a Down was fucking great

Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #48
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Wish I coulda seen these guys in their heyday!

Not just a great vocalist, but an amazing guitarist - saw him play this live at Music West many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #49
Banned By Establishment

Readers' Poll: The Ten Worst Bands of the Nineties Pictures | Rolling Stone

I agree and disagree.

Nailed the top 3 though...
Old 05-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #50
Wanna have a threesome?

That's a terrible list; outright, fucking, awful.

#5 - Nirvana, just no.

Two possibilities - one, the voters confused worst with best, or two, they're Billy Corgan.

#2 - Nickleback, no.

I'll defend Nickleback any day, because I believe they've produced some decent music over the years, and the hate they receive is unfounded. "Rockstar" and "Burn it to the Ground" are pretty decent, although highly overplayed.

#1 - Creed, no.

Creed's not great, but they're not the worst by any stretch.