REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Music & Clubbing

Music & Clubbing Rock your official RS Gear from Shop.Revscene.net (keyword search REVSCENE)
New tracks, videos, top hits, concert info and post discussion, music industry buzz, club hot spots, clubbing lifestyles..

Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I'm into Motley Crue, it's classic metal.

I've seen them twice (GM Place, AESC); in person, I'm a little meh about them. The show is interesting, but the antics detract somewhat from the quality of the music. I want to see them onstage, pouring there heart into the music with that being the single focus.

Dr. Feelgood - "Kickstart My Heart" (1989)
Mötley Crüe - kickstart my heart (WITH lyrics) - YouTube
probably my favourite song from these guys.
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #52
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
#2 - Nickleback, no.

I'll defend Nickleback any day, because I believe they've produced some decent music over the years, and the hate they receive is unfounded. "Rockstar" and "Burn it to the Ground" are pretty decent, although highly overplayed.
dude man....nickleback...no. i totes disagree....can't stand the band. pathetic lyrics, simple melodies, basic armature drum beat, and boring guitar. not to mention Chad can't even play guitar! Buddy is a total dick who has other musicians play the guitar and he mimics it during the music video. how do i know? i know people...

the only reason these guys became popular was to fill the gap in the early 2000s because of the lack of "rock" music being produced. something was needed to compete against Blink-182 and The Fox needed to fill the air space. We were all subjected to terrible melodic faux-rock until we all wanted to barf. Finally people started to catch on and united in hating the worst band that Canada ever produced (yes, even with Rush).

still love ya, boo
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Nirvana on that list? Who was voting in this poll, Beliebers and Twi-hards??? Nirvana DEFINED a genre... and a generation.

As far as Nickelback, I hate to admit it, but I dig a lot of their tunes. I actually saw them live opening for Creed many years back (a show that Creed bailed on, but we still got to see Nickelback and Sevendust opening, AND got full refunds for the tickets!). It was right after their second album came out, they were still cutting their chops, but they put on a helluva show, solid performance start to end.

I recall reading somewhere that Chad Kroeger said he got into music with the intent of becoming a rock star and getting stupid rich, and kudos to him, he did it. There's a saying, that only 1% of bands who try, actually make a living at it... and only 1% of those actually become rich and famous... well, he figured out what people wanted to hear, and he delivered it, and good on him for working hard to become "the 1% of the 1%". Also, props for reviving good ol' cock-rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #54

BTW, speaking of vocalists... nobody touches the late, great Brad Delp:

Quote:
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
Banned By Establishment

i saw Nickleback years ago as well...but not by choice, per se. Anyone remember those $9.93 playland passes for Friday night in the late 90s? The Fox put it on....you got a ticket to enter with unlimited rides after 7pm (could have been 6pm) and a free concert.

I remember seeing Jar (now Flybanger), Gob, and Nickleback....can't remember the others. Back then they had a different drummer who was one of my best friend's brother....then he went to Bif Naked...now he is with Hedly.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I remember seeing Jar (now Flybanger)...
No, they're JAR again! (Well actually, "JAR.") https://www.facebook.com/JARCANADA

They just played at the Rickshaw a couple weeks ago... wished I coulda gone Fuck, I remember some epic gigs with them back at Studebakers... Garth was bouncing for a while when I was mixing at Club Paradise, too - coolest guy around.

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #57
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Creed is fucking terrible. I like LimpBizkit... Well.. Anything before chocolate starfish

As for nickelback. Horrible yes, but Nickleback before all that how I remind you bullshit was pretty good.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Every time I hear a single word of a nickleback song, I consider eating peanuts. I am deathly allergic to peanuts.
Posted via RS Mobile
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #59
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
As for nickelback. Horrible yes, but Nickleback before all that how I remind you bullshit was pretty good.
Posted via RS Mobile
This.
The early heavier stuff from Nickelback (I'm talking about stuff from their first album up to The Long Road, none of the Burn it to the Gound bs) is actually not too bad imo. It's just too bad all their radio singles are the shitty generic Chad Kroeger throaty yelling pop songs.
j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #60
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Ehhh I don't hate Nickelback as much as everyone else does, not that I have a single one of their songs on my playlist.

They're just a standard band with a standard image, standard melody/song/chord structures.

But the thing is, none of the members are exceptional at what they do. Most bands full of sub-par instrumentalists are largely carried by their singer, but Chad really isn't that great. As much as I love Three Days Grace, Adam Gontier pretty much made that band.

There's nothing I like about them, but nothing I really dislike either. They're just meh.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #61
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Every time I hear a single word of a nickleback song, I consider eating peanuts. I am deathly allergic to peanuts.
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm deathly allergic to peanuts too! I imagine that must cause some difficulties working in a kitchen?
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #62
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Haha yeah it's a nightmare sometimes. I'm just very careful and pass off any nut related prep items off to the other guys to make. I sure as shit can't make it properly if I can't taste it! Luckily in west coast cuisine nuts really aren't used very often.
Anyone here into suicidal tendencies? I've been getting REALLY into them lately. Been playing through their whole discography in my car.
Posted via RS Mobile
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #63
Banned By Establishment

I use to really love Suicidal Tendencies....have't listen to them in forever....i will now spend my day with them
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #64
Banned By Establishment

SO LOUD!!!!!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #65
Banned By Establishment

and lets add a lil Ministry!

Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #66
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Linkin Park is without a doubt my all-time favourite band/artist (as you can probably tell by my avatar). Was so stoked when I got to meet them last year at their concert.

Been really getting into Killswitch Engage recently. Might even go to their concert. This song has been stuck in my head all day.

Cereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #67
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Ladies and gents... I give you Skrillex when he was still Sonny Moore. (Lead singer)
holy shit, they opened for Deftones with Die Mannequin back in '07. I totally never made that connection until now. trippy.

With regards to that list of worst bands; I hate to say it but Creed - My Own Prison was just awesome when it came out. I loved it. Also Nickelback - Curb and The State was also awesome for their time. Limp Bizkit - Significant Other was one of my all-time favorite albums; solid from front to back.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #68

Spoiler!
Quote:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #69

Okay, I gotta give a shout out to some local guys...

Spoiler!
Quote:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #70
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
dude man....nickleback...no. i totes disagree....can't stand the band. pathetic lyrics, simple melodies, basic armature drum beat, and boring guitar. not to mention Chad can't even play guitar! Buddy is a total dick who has other musicians play the guitar and he mimics it during the music video. how do i know? i know people...

the only reason these guys became popular was to fill the gap in the early 2000s because of the lack of "rock" music being produced. something was needed to compete against Blink-182 and The Fox needed to fill the air space. We were all subjected to terrible melodic faux-rock until we all wanted to barf. Finally people started to catch on and united in hating the worst band that Canada ever produced (yes, even with Rush).

still love ya, boo
I won't rebut, because you raise fair points. I will say, however, the Fox's former golden boy, Chad Kroeger, beats the current one, Daniel Wesley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I listen to very little produced post-1994, and have a good deal of disdain for current metal, but this is highly homophobic and plain dumb..

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-12-2013 at 10:24 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #71

Abusing the term "homophobic" is SO 2011.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #72
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
Linkin Park is without a doubt my all-time favourite band/artist (as you can probably tell by my avatar). Was so stoked when I got to meet them last year at their concert.
I met Chester last year, but at a casual seminar type deal with a bunch of my fellow vocal teachers that teach a certain technique.

A little tidbit for those interested - Back when Chester was screaming his brains out, he actually damaged his vocal chords bad and had to go on a long break. His voice got so messed up that he could barely talk, let alone sing/scream. He then went to Seth Riggs, who was the founder of this technique and also Michael Jackson's vocal coach, and Seth actually revived Chester's voice through exercises and proper care.

When your vocal chords are damaged, they're never going back to the way they were before. That's part of why you'll notice Chester actually sings instead of screams in their newer songs, and even live now, when they perform their older stuff. Mind you, he still screams live, but very sparingly.

A lot of metal singers are too arrogant to get their vocal chords checked, and they keep screaming improperly night after night, forcing it through. They either end up needing surgery, or their career just simply ends. Good thing Chester had the discipline to go to Seth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
holy shit, they opened for Deftones with Die Mannequin back in '07. I totally never made that connection until now. trippy.
Right?

Skrillex must've made a pretty penny when he was in From First To Last, touring with Deftones, Fall Out Boy, and All American Rejects.

Probably spent all his time and money after quitting the band to buy his gear and getting into electro/dubstep producing ... and then sweeping at the Grammys.

Good for him, you can't hate on that.

Edit: Holy shit, if he's only 25 now, that means he was only 16 when he was the singer for FFTL?

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0

Last edited by PJ; 05-12-2013 at 10:49 PM.
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #73
Wanna have a threesome?

My point does not abuse the term, "homophobic."

In the comic, contemporary metal is criticized on eight basis points: "what the fuck are you saying," "overly-straight hair," "gay/bi-sexual," "it looks like a chick," "angsty/emo behaviour," "scream, scream, scream," "enjoys the cock," and "shit music;" additionally, "I am a faggot" is written on the cartoon's shirt. Out of the eight criticisms, two are based on sexual preference; the writing on the cartoon's shirt also rails against sexual preference. The comic's creator clearly considers a musician's sexual preference of importance, and specifically, considers womanizing an attribute and gay or bisexual preference a detriment. That's it, simple. A reasonable alternative explanation does not exist.

Motley Crue are icons of metal, but not because they stuck wine bottles in groupes. The Kiss army doesn't exist because Gene Simmons allegedly slept with 5000 women.

Motley Crue are icons because of the chemistry Vince, Mick, Nicki, and Tommy have together, and they found each other because the culture around music was so much different. The very same logic applies to Kiss. Ultimately, the Dave Growl quote sums it up perfectly.

The comic is idiotic, as is the widespread ideology it's based on.

Last edited by MindBomber; 05-12-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #74
I STILL don't get it

so many good feels in this thread! off the top of my head:
- alice in chains
- Avenged Sevenfold (huge fan)
- disturbed
- slipknot
- system of a down
- big wreck
- GNR
- metallica
- soundgarden (anything with chris cornell really)
- fuel
- foo fighters and the list goes on and on

few of my faves
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #75
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Not really rock.. but of Monsters and Men was amazing last night at the orpheum!!! Loved them! Half moon run did a good opening act as well.

Anyone here listen to 'We Were Promised Jetpacks'? Was introduced to them by a coworker last year but totally forgot about it until now. Starting to like a few songs!

Oh any nirvana fans here?
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote