REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Music & Clubbing

Music & Clubbing Rock your official RS Gear from Shop.Revscene.net (keyword search REVSCENE)
New tracks, videos, top hits, concert info and post discussion, music industry buzz, club hot spots, clubbing lifestyles..

Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #76
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Finally people started to catch on and united in hating the worst band that Canada ever produced (yes, even with Rush)
Advertisement
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #77
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quick trivia: which Canadian band did Bubbles play guitar for?
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #78

I really liked these guys when they were together. Great driving tunes.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #79
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,419 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Not really rock.. but of Monsters and Men was amazing last night at the orpheum!!! Loved them! Half moon run did a good opening act as well.

Anyone here listen to 'We Were Promised Jetpacks'? Was introduced to them by a coworker last year but totally forgot about it until now. Starting to like a few songs!

Oh any nirvana fans here?
We Were Promised Jetpacks is good stuff. Found out about them after watching Hall Pass cause one of their songs were used in the movie. I always describe them as sounding like Silversun Pickups but with Chris O'Dowd as the singer.

j.f0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #80
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
As flamboyant and manic as he is... Holy shit, can this motherfucker sing.

Born to be Wild (JESUS FUCKING CHRIST @ 1:28 til end )

Whole Lotta Love

Cryin'

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Oh man, have you been watching AI this year? Horrendous!

Nobody worthy of a record deal and nobody has that spark. There were some pretty terrible moments this year...people forgetting words on live shows, contestants saying, "ive never heard that song before" to some pretty well-known Beatles songs, cheesy group songs, etc...

The show has totally jumped the shark...

On a related note: heart Lambert!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #82
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
James Durbin was another good one - loved that they tried to talk him out of doing the Sammy Hagar and he insisted on it anyway, because he did a killer version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Durbin was good too although some times (especially at the beginning) I though he was trying too hard to be 'the rocker'. but after a while i started to believe him...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #84
PJ

Durbin was just okay in my books.
Sure, he had the range, but I didn't like how bratty and wide he sang everything.

Even though he was often compared to Lambert... Talking strictly from a technique standpoint, James has a loooong way to go before he's anywhere near Adam.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #85
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Oh man, have you been watching AI this year? Horrendous!

Nobody worthy of a record deal and nobody has that spark. There were some pretty terrible moments this year...people forgetting words on live shows, contestants saying, "ive never heard that song before" to some pretty well-known Beatles songs, cheesy group songs, etc...

The show has totally jumped the shark...

On a related note: heart Lambert!
Guilty pleasure. I watch all those shows. Not so much as a fan boy, but more as a critic. To see what whoever is saying about whoever or whatever.

Idol this season was a joke. They were pushing way too hard for a girl to win this season, and with the current results, I wouldn't be surprised if it was rigged. No one from the live shows on was even that great. Candice is good, I'll give her that. But seriously, none of the guys should have been up there. (With the exception of one generic pretty-boy who was pretty good. Was surprised when he got sent home. Paul?)

I did like Phil Phillips from last season, but this season is just all very, very, wrong. With the exception of Keith Urban and sure, even Seacrest, they should replace everyone else.

I'm way bigger on the Voice and X Factor. They just have more flavor. And talent.

Any single one of the singers on the Voice's current top whatever is good enough to win. Only 2 or 3 of Idol's live show contestants were that good.

I stopped watching Idol this year after the stuttering guy got eliminated. He wasn't very good, but I was interested in how far he'd get.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #86

I can't look at Kree this year without seeing Rose from Two and a Half Men She and Candace both have good voices, but no... pizzazz. I was kind of hoping for Angie, not so much because she was stupidly cute, but because she had some real musical talent - jammed on the piano, AND wrote her own songs, on top of a killer voice. Had to agree with the panel on her, the way she smiled her way through even the saddest songs was kind of off-putting, like she couldn't "feel" them because nothing had ever gone wrong for her. Seeing her break down when she was eliminated was almost... well, encouraging, because I had just been thinking, the only thing missing from her music was having her heart broken once or twice. I can see her going on to have the longest-lasting career, just because she actually writes her own music, and it's actually GOOD.

I will say one thing for the crop of the last four or five finalists this year: they were all good at starting songs off strong. One of the first things I noted about Carrie Underwood was how she started every song strong, where almost everyone else would almost always start really quiet and kind of build up to the wailing Big Note at the end. As "meh" as most of them were this year, at least they were better in that regard.

Anyway, enough about all that, let's get back to the rock, shall we? Little space-inspired break....

Quote:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #87
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Temple of the Dog is definitely one band I wish produced more music, I love nearly everything they produced.

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog "Say Hello 2 Heaven" (1990)

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog "Times of Trouble" (1990)

Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog "Hunger Strike" (1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
Oh any nirvana fans here?
Yes, I love Nirvana.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #88
Banned By Establishment

I love this man.

I've seen Tool three times and A Perfect Circle once.... amazing.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #89
PJ

Maynard is the man.

I love how he doesn't overdo his screams like most rock singers.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 05-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #90

MJK is phenomenal. Amazing and unique vocals. I saw the Tool show when they toured 10,000Days.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #91
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
anyone listen to indie genres or is that another thread?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #92
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
anyone listen to indie genres or is that another thread?
I listen to 102.7 The Peak and they play some indie stuff from time to time
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #93
Banned By Establishment

diggin this right now:

has an addicting hook.

and the dudes are kinda hot

Last edited by dinosaur; 05-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #94
Wanna have a threesome?

I have tickets to Courtney Love at the Commodore Ballroom

MegaDeath is returning to Abbotsford in August.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #95
Wanna have a threesome?

Mercyful Fate - "Evil" Melissa (1983)

Personally, I don't love this one; Kim Petersen's vocal range, though, my god.

Mercyful Fate - "Melissa" Melissa (1983)

Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #96
Banned By Establishment

I looooooove Courtney Love! I heard she was coming but was a little cautious about buying tix.

I've seen Hole twice and they were great....but since then she has become even more loopy. I'll be looking forward to your review.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #97
Wanna have a threesome?

I was a little hesitant to buy tickets too, because personally, a terrible performance permanently scars my enjoyment of an artist. I read this review of Courtney's performance at Sundance in January, though, and it sounds like she's in a great state.

You should totally get tickets.

Quote:
Going to see Courtney Love last night at the Star Bar in Park City as part of its Sundance music events, I was half expecting to see a washed-up mess, the Courtney Love of the joking stereotypes. But throughout the evening, she did much to make me dismissive of such a thing.
After local openers New City Skyline, Love made a grand entrance to the strains of Ravel’s ‘Bolero’ and took on the question head on—playing a few verses of Neil Young’s "My My, Hey Hey" ("It’s better to burn out than fade away"). Then, throughout the rest of the evening demonstrated that she’s done neither.

In a set consisting almost completely of '90s-era Hole songs, she galvanized the audience and reminded us of the power of rock music, making any pondering of her as "burn out" evaporate into thin air. For the film-festival crowd, her first official performance since touring the album Nobody’s Daughter with Hole in 2010 and announcing the breakup of the reunited version of Hole last October firmly re-established her as a solo musician, though the most recent incarnation of the band was her backup. It’s the Courtney Love show, with whichever other musicians are in tow. "Skinny Little Bitch" from Nobody’s Daughter had the audience singing along, as did "Miss World."

All the old nuggets worked their magic, but the biggest surprise of the night was her "experiment" -- adding acoustic chord backing to Jay-Z’s "99 Problems," changing the title of the song to "99 Problems But Being a Bitch Ain’t One" and thus taking on another of her lingering epithets. And her repetition of the line, "ain’t nothing sweet bout how I hold my gun" throughout the night, relishing the words, was especially provocative. In a moment of histrionics, she later said she wanted to say hello to any members of her "fucked-up family" in attendance.

With Love's rock & roll prowess on display in spades, the other highlight of the evening was "Northern Star," accompanied on acoustic guitar by Hole guitarist Micko Larkin, the pain re-emerging as she raised her voice to a scream on some of the lyrics. "I wait, praying to the North star/I’m afraid it won’t lead you very far." Amidst the chill of winter in the mountains, her vulnerability and fearlessness was stirring.
"Malibu" was also very moving. Grunge was largely about the loud-soft-loud dynamic, and Love evidenced an emotional dynamic that, rather than being the roller coaster one might expect, was controlled and powerful. Some grunge music has aged better than others, but these songs still conveyed the same incandescence as when they were written. She began the show in a smart pant suit, returning for the encores in a black negligee, playing with feminine stereotypes as she’s done throughout her career, whether you see the way she does it as shtick or a sophisticated form of performance art.

Before a second quick encore, the show was book-ended by a cover of "Thirteen" by Big Star, in which the line "Rock & roll is here to stay" reiterated the sentiment of Neil Young ("Hey hey, my my, rock & roll will never die") in the show’s opener. It certainly emphasized the point that Love doesn’t seem about to slow down her pursuit of making rock & roll music that’s still vital and meaningful any time soon.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #98
I STILL don't get it

was a huge moist fan as a child, looks like they're trying to get something going. hoping it happens just like the tea party did last year
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
was a huge moist fan as a child
Diaper didn't get changed often enough??
Quote:
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
idk if youve guys heard of jeff healey, easily one of the sickest canadian musciaisn ever. a blind guitarist. insane beatles cover
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote