REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Local Accountant Embezzled more than 1 million (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683718-local-accountant-embezzled-more-than-1-million.html)

LiquidTurbo 05-05-2013 06:44 PM

Local Accountant Embezzled more than 1 million

Law accountant is charged with embezzling more than $1 million

http://www.theprovince.com/news/cms/...?size=620x400s

Quote:

In a 2006 Metropolitan Home magazine article, Bayda, who described herself as a financial consultant who has lived in Europe and Asia, showed off her dream home in a multi-page spread. In it, she talked about building her dream house from the ground up with the help of a high-end architect — a three-level, 2,400-square-foot, glassed-in, open-concept home with a central reflecting pool.

Bayda boasted of furnishing it with custom-made built-ins and pieces she sourced in Milan. The toilet was designed by Philippe Starck.

Read more: Law accountant is charged with embezzling more than $1 million
No one likes to talk about it, but local corruption happens. Only she was unlucky and got caught..

jing 05-05-2013 07:42 PM

The company my dad does some subcontractor work from time to time had somewhere between 2-2.5 million taken from them over a span of 20 something years. The new accountant they had hired had discovered the discrepancies but by then the former accountant had left the country already.
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 05-05-2013 07:55 PM

that's what accountants are capable of doing unfortunately and why Internal Controls are so important

but you would think she wouldn't be stealing such small amounts... accountants have the potential to earn so much more and now she's ruined her future potential

and she was a CA jesus what a dumbass

dangonay 05-05-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 8229737)
Only she was unlucky and got caught..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jing (Post 8229817)
The company my dad does some subcontractor work from time to time had somewhere between 2-2.5 million taken from them over a span of 20 something years. The new accountant they had hired had discovered the discrepancies but by then the former accountant had left the country already.
Posted via RS Mobile

This is why I don't understand accountants that steal. Eventually you're going to get caught (during an audit, for example). If you're planning to leave the country, then maybe, but not if you're going to remain in your community. Let alone use the funds to build your dream house, which is probably going to get sold to recover the funds.

tiger_handheld 05-05-2013 08:48 PM

there are always a few bad apples in the bunch. no different from the cop that punched that cyclist.

El Bastardo 05-05-2013 08:50 PM

She was hoping to put aside enough for a down payment on a home in the GVRD. I can respect that.

Also, she has nothing on Rita Crundwell

StylinRed 05-05-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 8230001)
She was hoping to put aside enough for a down payment on a home in the GVRD. I can respect that.

she's likely making over $150,000 a year having been designated for over 18yrs (ave is 94k after 5yrs 120k after 9yrs) im sure she has more than enough set aside for a down payment simply from her income

subordinate 05-05-2013 10:24 PM

Jokes on the company. No audits? Fail.

On a side note, I chuckle when small, family/friend companies toss out the notion of internal controls. "My friend would never steal; my brother/sister would never run off with the farm."

Yeah.........well, hope it works out for ya bud. You never know, but covering your ass is always a good idea.

meowjinboo 05-05-2013 11:23 PM

im assuming she wasn't audited because she didn't work for them and was just contracted to do the audists.