REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,163 Times in 2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
[9:35:46 AM] eye witness account - "I was right there at that corner when it happened. The Austin Martin never slowed down and hit the stopped cars at over 100km/h. Don't know what the driver was doing, but I never saw anything like it and feel lucky to be alive, and really sad for all the people badly hurt and injured by this stupid stupid"
That's pretty odd. Perhaps another case of some medical issue causing him to black out or something?
Advertisement
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #52
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
do people not read nowadays or what the five involved cars were the aston, the glk, the ford escape, the minivan in the ditch and the white ford e250 box truck. you can see it beside the three crumpled cars in some photos. very minor damage to the e250 from where i was standing
Posted via RS Mobile
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
makes me wonder how that minivan ended up in the ditch... unless it got hit really really hard.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #54
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,370 Times in 272 Posts
Minivan would be the only car in the right lane and when it got hit they weren't on their brakes so car slid forward into The ditch. Glk, escape and the cargo van should a been on the left lane.
Posted via RS Mobile
!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #55
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Aston was supposedly doing 200, looks the woman in the GLK was innocent. So sad, I hope the driver of the Aston gets charged, jailed and get financially wiped out.

Quote:
The licence plate on the luxury sports car a witness says was responsible for Wednesday's deadly multi-vehicle pile-up on Westminster Highway at Knight Street spoke volumes: 007-KMP.

The driver of the $200,000 Aston Martin DB9 Volante was driving much like fictional British superspy 007 when she ran one redlight as he was westbound on Westminster Highway, narrowly missing a vehicle at No. 6 Road, before heading towards his fate a block to the west.

And with Richmond Mounties saying just minutes after the collision that speed—and specifically KiloMetres Per hour—was a factor, one witness reached by The Richmond Review Thursday morning estimated the rare convertible was going in the neighbourhood of 200 kilometres per hour when it set off a chain-collision, involving a white Mercedes Benz sedan, a Chrysler, and a Ford Escape, among other vehicles. The Chrysler, possibly a Pacifica, was hurtled some 100 metres into a ditch, its rear end completely caved in and left a smoking ruin.

Vancouver's Elizabeth Willis witnessed Wednesday afternoon's crash, which occurred around 3:30 p.m.

A flagger for Imperial Paving, Willis was part of a crew working on Westminster Highway, at No. 6 Road, a block east of the accident scene.

"I saw a car, I heard a car going extremely fast, 200 kilometers per hour, right through a red light, almost T-boned another vehicle, went straight through...and hit the cars sitting at the red light," she said, her voice breaking, as she walked on the scoured four-lane stretch of roadway that's currently being repaved. "It was only the one vehicle, racing through. We don't even know what kind of car it was, only that it was black."

Seconds later, after hearing what was apparently the Aston Martin's "roaring engine", she saw and heard the booming impact.

"Devastating. I saw the cars flying up in the air, and there was smoke, and I shut down the road immediately."

Within seconds, onlookers became Good Samaritans and sprang into action, helping out the victims.

One man pulled a woman from the crumpled remains of the Mercedes, which wound up on top of the Aston Martin and was missing its entire trunk.

Richmond photojournalist and Tandoori Raj Indian Restaurant owner Sukhwant Dhillon, was on his way home from his South Vancouver eatery when he came upon the carnage, which he said looked a like a war movie.

Dhillon works for The Link, an Indo-Canadian newspaper, and lives near the accident scene.

Even before emergency crews arrived, he said two crash victims had already been pulled from their vehicles, and were lying on the ground, metal, plastic and glass debris strewn everywhere.

He could see smoke coming from the Chrysler in the ditch, and said the collision must have been high-speed to hurtle the vehicle such a distance.

Dozens of people watched from the roadside as two people were taken into an air ambulance helicopter, and emergency crews rushed to extricate another victim from inside the Mercedes.

But before that person could be removed, the air ambulance departed, and emergency crews placed a plastic tarp over the body.

Richmond Mounties late Wednesday afternoon confirmed that one person was pronounced dead at the scene, and three others were either in serious or critical condition in hospital.

Dhillon spoke with the stunned driver of one car, who said he was simply stopped at the red light when the collision occurred.

Another victim was consoled by a paramedic as he pointed at the wreckage, and recounted what happened.

Late Thursday afternoon, Richmond Mounties announced a twist to the story.

The two people in the Aston Martin were women, and they were in their mid 40s. Both sustained life-threatening injuries but after surgery were listed in critical but stable condition.

Dead is a 44-year-old woman from Richmond.

Also recovering is the 30-year-old driver of another vehicle, who is also listed in critical but stable condition.

Only about 10 Aston Martin DB9s are sold annually in Canada, and the vehicle involved in the crash was the model sold between 2008 and 2011, according to someone familiar with these vehicles.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #56
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
^^
Link to source: Richmond Review - Aston Martin's driver raced through red light prior to deadly crash

Gawd... the writing in the article is terrible.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #57
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
***according to someone familiar with these vehicles.****

Wut?
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #58
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

fuck I'm just straight up disgusted by the Aston driver. Very irresponsible, hopefully she'll be paralyzed for life so that she can't do more harm than she already has.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #59
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I tensed up in anger after I read the article. WHO in their right mind thinks it's okay to do 200 km/h in a suburb, even if it's semi-residential in that area? This wasn't even irresponsibility, it was complete disregard for the rules of the road.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #60
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
it's still too early to completely pass judgement imo. if you read the article clearly it says the aston ran a red at #6 and westmin first, narrowly missing a car, then CONTINUED hurtling right towards a construction zone, clearly marked with signs, cones, and unpaved gravel, and only came to a stop upon hitting 4 other cars?

unless she was trying to kill herself and her passenger i don't see how anybody would do that. driver error, medical condition, vehicle issues are also all possibilities, but driver negligance seems the least likely cause of this, especially if you look at the age of the driver

regardless this is sad as fuck. drive safe everybody, this one hit way too close to home for me
Posted via RS Mobile
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #61
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Late Thursday afternoon, Richmond Mounties announced a twist to the story.

The two people in the Aston Martin were women, and they were in their mid 40s. Both sustained life-threatening injuries but after surgery were listed in critical but stable condition.
That's the twist? Damn did they really want another group of 18-20 year old boys driving the Aston Martin or something?

Last edited by jackmeister; 05-09-2013 at 04:12 PM.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #62
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sadly that has become the norm
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #63
Big Drama Show

Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
Aston was supposedly doing 200, looks the woman in the GLK was innocent. So sad, I hope the driver of the Aston gets charged, jailed and get financially wiped out.
Too bad the fucking idiots in the Aston Martin didn't die.

It's sad when the innocent have their lives taken by some fucking morons.

RIP
spideyv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #64
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
"Dead is a 44-year-old woman from Richmond."

someone lost a mother, a wife or a sister. the driver of the aston should be held criminally accountable and see jail time. not a suspended sentence, no community sentence, a 6x9 concrete cell for whatever the maximum penalty is

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
it's still too early to completely pass judgement imo. if you read the article clearly it says the aston ran a red at #6 and westmin first, narrowly missing a car, then CONTINUED hurtling right towards a construction zone, clearly marked with signs, cones, and unpaved gravel, and only came to a stop upon hitting 4 other cars?

Quote:
unless she was trying to kill herself and her passenger i don't see how anybody would do that. driver error, medical condition, vehicle issues are also all possibilities, but driver negligance seems the least likely cause of this, especially if you look at the age of the driver

people do alot of stupid, crazy and unacceptable things. "unless she was trying to kill herself and her passenger i don't see how anybody would do that." my 'guess' is that the aston driver's intentions were not to commit vehicular suicide...

driver error? not sure how that one plays into this, i don't think its possible for someone to travel at over 3 times the speed limit and not be aware of the fact that they're doing it. sure, often times people go 10 or 20 over the speed limit while keeping with the flow of traffic, but seriously, ~200km/h and calling it driver error?

medical condition. i suppose that one might fly, who knows maybe the driver was having a stroke and hammered down on the gas. still, doesn't seem likely IMO.

vehicle issues causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably? ok, plausible.

what does the age of the driver have to do with ones capacity to be negligent? people of all ages commit crimes, aging does not restrict the capacity to be stupid.

the only part i can really agree with you is the fact that its still early on in the investigation for people to jump to conclusions. although my "prediction" based on the information available, is that the driver of the vehicle WAS negligent, speeding with her vehicle and driving without due care, and caused the accident.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
vehicle issues causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably? ok, plausible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
Quote:
one witness reached by The Richmond Review Thursday morning estimated the rare convertible was going in the neighbourhood of 200 kilometres per hour when it set off a chain-collision
i dont think the vehicle was actually going 200kmph.... how many times has someone stood by (stationary, not driving) and watched a car go by them at 200kmph? for the average person, probably never. someone just blurted out a number that in his/her mind was suitable for his/her definition of "really fast".
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
if the two ladies in the aston survive, they better had a damn good reason for thi shit otherwise strip them of their cash and lock em up
[23-07, 02:53] LSF22 the guy who i just saw had like 5 or 6 cars on his lawn needs a ride

[07-10, 15:42] nabs tbails14 = the legend continues

[27-10, 19:44] slickrick (to ts14) NO NOT THE EXHAUST

[07-10, 22:42] Ri2 If I had a real one I'd fap til it turns blue probably

[05-01, 16:24] Geoc ts you're a never ending inspiration for the inner buddy guy in all of us
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #68
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinka View Post
i dont think the vehicle was actually going 200kmph.... how many times has someone stood by (stationary, not driving) and watched a car go by them at 200kmph? for the average person, probably never. someone just blurted out a number that in his/her mind was suitable for his/her definition of "really fast".
Regardless of how fast the Aston was going, it caused someone innocent to lose their life, and several others to have to go through the pain of experiencing a serious, possibly traumatic motor vehicle accident.

I seriously do hope the driver of the Aston is charged, if she was indeed driving without due care and going at a high rate of speed (given that there wasn't any other sort of mechanical issues going on...)
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #69
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:

regardless this is sad as fuck. drive safe everybody, this one hit way too close to home for me
Posted via RS Mobile
Sunny day, straight open road and high end sports car, sounds like a prefect breeding ground to excessively speed.

And I can't tell you how many older folk I see speeding on a daily basis so I don't think driving experience nor age/gender make much of a different. Bottom line is the Aston was excessively speeding, caused a massive accident with cost the life of an innocent driver.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #70
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Reading comprehension might be failing me, but is it written anywhere in the article(s) if the deceased victim was in the back seat in the GLK? Front passenger? Driver?

RIP to her, no chance if someone's hurtling toward you at insane speeds from any direction, if you're stopped at a red light.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #71
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
I can't wait for the response from the driver of the Aston.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #72
PRINCESS

I don't agree that vehicle negligence is the least possible explanation, but kt has good points. It could've happened because of so many different factors. We've seen brakes malfunctioning and killing families in the past (remember that famous Lexus incident where the brakes didn't work so entire family died? Hyundai cars went through similar stuff in Korea, proven by dashcams). Or it could have been due to medical issues like that recent event in Surrey (though it hasn't been quite proven yet). Like he said it's too early to judge at this point. But anyways, if the accident really was caused by negligence, it's a real shame natural selection didn't kick in on the Aston driver.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #73
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
...We've seen brakes malfunctioning and killing families in the past (remember that famous Lexus incident where the brakes didn't work so entire family died?...
it was actually a case of unintended acceleration.

the brakes were functioning fine, just that the engine over powered the capacity for the brakes to stop the vehicle.

dont want to hijack the tread but... one has to wonder why the driver of that lexus didnt shift the vehicle into neutral and kill the motor. the driver was a california state trooper who would have been trained for highspeed vehicle maneuvering and trained to operate under pressure.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #74
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
The driver that caused the surrey accident last week got it easy, he died in hospital.

I hope the Aston's driver recovers so that the families of the deceased and the injured can see justice.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #75
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
In b4 Aston driver flees the country
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: