REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Vancouver's most sensational homes up for grabs

Some highlights:

Quote:

Designed by architect Bob Turner, this residence is situated on a gated estate, offering ocean and island views. The home is made of concrete, steel, zinc, natural stone and glass on three levels of living. The four-bedroom 5,200-sqare-foot residence offers a dramatic, open plan of living with a warm ambiance and includes a sparkling outdoor infinity-edge pool & hot tub, sun-drenched patio space, casual lounge areas surrounded by lush rock gardens and panoramic ocean and coastline views of Vancouver's Inner Harbour. $7.498 million.
Quote:

Luxury oceanfront home directly on the beach, private terrace, swimming pool and spectacular views. $9,875,000, 4367 Erwin Drive, Cypress, West Vancouver.
Quote:

Stunning home with sweeping ocean and island views in White Rock, featuring a floating pool (with outdoor fireplace), wine cellar, triple car garage. Yours for $6,488,000. 1755 Ocean Park Rd, Crescent Beach.
Quote:

A luxurious private estate on 1.6 acres of land, with crystal chandeliers, private courtyard, chef's dream kitchen, home theatre, steam room and more. $6,280,000, 17371 Fedoruk Road, East Richmond.
Quote:

A magnificent estate in North Vancouver above Indian Arm's cliff and rock formations. We're talking coastline views, home theatre, bar, wine cellar... the works. Listed at $7,990,000, at 2888 Panorama Drive, Deep Cove.
Quote:

A luxury 3,280-sq-ft condo in Coal Harbour with 270-degree views, a 290-sq-ft terrace with outdoor fireplace, 3 ensuites and family room. Priced at $7,990,000. #3002 277 Thurlow St.
Quote:

This condo has "wow view" factor, located on Coal Harbour waterfront, with its huge landscaped deck, home theatre and sophisticated fixtures. It will only set you back $5,800,000. At $1901 1077 W Cordova St.
moar at: Bizarre and breathtaking: Vancouver's most sensational homes up for grabs
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Stunning home with sweeping ocean and island views in White Rock, featuring a floating pool (with outdoor fireplace), wine cellar, triple car garage. Yours for $6,488,000. 1755 Ocean Park Rd, Crescent Beach
thats actually in Surrey
vitaminG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
I don't get it

I remember in 2004, when my family was living in Kits (5th and Alma) and houses in the area were starting to hit the $1.5 million mark, I asked my dad why house prices were so high. And he told me "supply and demand". So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house. We moved to Burnaby in November 2009, at that time the RE bubble was at its peak. I remember plots of land in Dunbar and Point Grey selling for $2-2.5 million. The bubble squeezed my family out of Vancouver and now we live in subsidized housing. (For the record,

And before anyone says Asians are buying up homes. people of all creed and colours do it, either for the lifestyle, to settle here or to get rich. It's people born and raised here, from the Interior, from the Island, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, the US, Europe, Australia...the demand to live here comes from people worldwide.

Now, I'm one of those curmudgeons who thinks that a house is a home-a place to help you raise a family, to plant roots, to develop a career-and less of an investment or status symbol. But my way of thinking is not the way of the future, at least in Vancouver. S'okay. I'm alive, I'm healthy, I have family. I'll survive.

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 05-08-2013 at 09:54 PM.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

wow where the hell is that richmond one lol...kinda random
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I remember in 2004, when my family was living in Kits (5th and Alma) and houses in the area were starting to hit the $1.5 million mark, I asked my dad why house prices were so high. And he told me "supply and demand". So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house. We moved to Burnaby in November 2009, at that time the RE bubble was at its peak. I remember plots of land in Dunbar and Point Grey selling for $2-2.5 million. The bubble squeezed my family out of Vancouver and now we live in subsidized housing.
And now you're suffering in the far-off burbs of Burnaby. Oh the horrors!
Dickson_Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson_Top View Post
And now you're suffering in the far-off burbs of Burnaby. Oh the horrors!
I hope I did not sound ungrateful. It's a 10 minute bus ride to SFU and I live in an area surrounded by greenery. And it's so quiet, we would always hear emergency vehicles screaming down 4th, and rip roaring Harleys in the summer. Burnaby is awesome.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Not sure why anyone would pay over $2M to live in White Rock or Surrey.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
It's waterfront property with a nice view. For some, 2 million is just spare change.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i thought britsh properties would be on this list
daica-viet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
pfft,7 million? Look what 3 million bought me

Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,031 Times in 2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house.
In the GVA, land is pretty much ALWAYS worth more than the house. You invest in the land, not the structure.

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #12
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
That deep cove place is very nice you can see it from the water easy but no way I'm paying that price to have people walking around my place all day long, almost no privacy there
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:
Through friends I know that a few former CEO's of very large local companies live around the water front in between the strip and crescent beach, I'm assuming they choose to go there because you can actually purchase privacy as opposed to the north shore where your looking into your neighbors kitchen for 15m
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #14

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Abit of an exaggeration, 15mil in North Shore could definitely get you privacy.

But regardless, there's tons of properties worth TONS of money in the GVRD that people probably don't know of. In my area of Central Burnaby, I know of afew houses that are worth about $7-10million for house & property. (And thats in Burnaby)

For reference, we sold my grandmas house in Vancouver about 5 years ago. It was on 8th Ave, just West of Vine. The house was bought in 1955 for $55,000. 5 years ago the property (old shitty house) sold for around $1.4million. The house was estimated at about $100,000. Thus the property alone was worth $1.3mil. Just to give an idea of the crazy RE market and inflation locally.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I don't look at those as all that extreme.

You are telling me that I'm entering a Vancouver mansion for 13 times the base price for a detached house on nowhere street in New West?

That doesn't describe real estate extremism to me. The fact that the crap shack on a postage stamp sized lot dwarfed by apartment buildings across the street from me is $450k...THAT's the problem in real estate.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
And I don't understand why some people are willing to spend that much on a shoebox of an apartment to live in downtown Vancouver.

It's all about preferences. I would way rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach than most other cities in the GVRD.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
It's waterfront property with a nice view. For some, 2 million is just spare change.
Yeah but you're out in the boonies. It's like an hour to the nearest Louis Vuitton store.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
And I don't understand why some people are willing to spend that much on a shoebox of an apartment to live in downtown Vancouver.

It's all about preferences. I would way rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach than most other cities in the GVRD.
Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
^ Unless, you need the space to store your stable of sports cars. There are not many mansions in Vancouver that have sufficient extra space for say 5-6 cars.

I know of a fairly rich person who chose to buy property in south Surrey. Rich people don't become rich by spending more money than necessary.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Yeah but you're out in the boonies. It's like an hour to the nearest Louis Vuitton store.

Not every person wants to dress like your favorite rapper. There are lots of multi millionaires that shop at walmart and don't own a $200 pair of jeans.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Not every person wants to dress like your favorite rapper. There are lots of multi millionaires that shop at walmart and don't own a $200 pair of jeans.
I can confirm this, I went to high school with a guy whose dad is a very high profile doctor at VGH, and their family also has oil wealth. They are not the kind of family to be flashy or conspicuous, the guy's first car was a Taurus.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #22

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ Abit of an exaggeration, 15mil in North Shore could definitely get you privacy.

But regardless, there's tons of properties worth TONS of money in the GVRD that people probably don't know of. In my area of Central Burnaby, I know of afew houses that are worth about $7-10million for house & property. (And thats in Burnaby)

For reference, we sold my grandmas house in Vancouver about 5 years ago. It was on 8th Ave, just West of Vine. The house was bought in 1955 for $55,000. 5 years ago the property (old shitty house) sold for around $1.4million. The house was estimated at about $100,000. Thus the property alone was worth $1.3mil. Just to give an idea of the crazy RE market and inflation locally.
I might be wrong but that's about 6% per year return not including inflation, not too crazy. But when you see $55000-$1400000 it looks crazy without factoring 50+ years.
Inflation from 55-70's approx 2%
From 70's to mid 80's approx 6%
Mid 80's to early 90's approx 4%
90's to current approx 1-2%

If your grandma bought a brand new 1955 chevy nomad for $2500 and only drove it to church it would have the same rate of return as the house/property.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.
I live near white rock and I'm assuming you haven't been there lately. There has been massive development in the retail sector there. Big name stores have moved in. To say White Rock is in the boonies is a pretty stupid statement and one that has no factual basis.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:

No offense, but if I made enough money to drop $2MM plus on a property, I wouldn't buy it anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ Unless, you need the space to store your stable of sports cars. There are not many mansions in Vancouver that have sufficient extra space for say 5-6 cars.

I know of a fairly rich person who chose to buy property in south Surrey. Rich people don't become rich by spending more money than necessary.
Posted via RS Mobile
Priorities. Most wealthy people value being near the core downtown area for the reasons I listed than far out from the city.