REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Vancouver's most sensational homes up for grabs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683828-vancouvers-most-sensational-homes-up-grabs.html)

shenmecar 05-08-2013 08:59 PM

Vancouver's most sensational homes up for grabs

Some highlights:

Quote:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...?size=620x400s

Designed by architect Bob Turner, this residence is situated on a gated estate, offering ocean and island views. The home is made of concrete, steel, zinc, natural stone and glass on three levels of living. The four-bedroom 5,200-sqare-foot residence offers a dramatic, open plan of living with a warm ambiance and includes a sparkling outdoor infinity-edge pool & hot tub, sun-drenched patio space, casual lounge areas surrounded by lush rock gardens and panoramic ocean and coastline views of Vancouver's Inner Harbour. $7.498 million.
Quote:

Luxury oceanfront home directly on the beach, private terrace, swimming pool and spectacular views. $9,875,000, 4367 Erwin Drive, Cypress, West Vancouver.
Quote:

Stunning home with sweeping ocean and island views in White Rock, featuring a floating pool (with outdoor fireplace), wine cellar, triple car garage. Yours for $6,488,000. 1755 Ocean Park Rd, Crescent Beach.
Quote:

A luxurious private estate on 1.6 acres of land, with crystal chandeliers, private courtyard, chef's dream kitchen, home theatre, steam room and more. $6,280,000, 17371 Fedoruk Road, East Richmond.
Quote:

A magnificent estate in North Vancouver above Indian Arm's cliff and rock formations. We're talking coastline views, home theatre, bar, wine cellar... the works. Listed at $7,990,000, at 2888 Panorama Drive, Deep Cove.
Quote:

A luxury 3,280-sq-ft condo in Coal Harbour with 270-degree views, a 290-sq-ft terrace with outdoor fireplace, 3 ensuites and family room. Priced at $7,990,000. #3002 277 Thurlow St.
Quote:

This condo has "wow view" factor, located on Coal Harbour waterfront, with its huge landscaped deck, home theatre and sophisticated fixtures. It will only set you back $5,800,000. At $1901 1077 W Cordova St.
moar at: Bizarre and breathtaking: Vancouver's most sensational homes up for grabs

vitaminG 05-08-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Stunning home with sweeping ocean and island views in White Rock, featuring a floating pool (with outdoor fireplace), wine cellar, triple car garage. Yours for $6,488,000. 1755 Ocean Park Rd, Crescent Beach
thats actually in Surrey

BurnoutBinLaden 05-08-2013 09:42 PM

I remember in 2004, when my family was living in Kits (5th and Alma) and houses in the area were starting to hit the $1.5 million mark, I asked my dad why house prices were so high. And he told me "supply and demand". So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house. We moved to Burnaby in November 2009, at that time the RE bubble was at its peak. I remember plots of land in Dunbar and Point Grey selling for $2-2.5 million. The bubble squeezed my family out of Vancouver and now we live in subsidized housing. (For the record,

And before anyone says Asians are buying up homes. people of all creed and colours do it, either for the lifestyle, to settle here or to get rich. It's people born and raised here, from the Interior, from the Island, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, the US, Europe, Australia...the demand to live here comes from people worldwide.

Now, I'm one of those curmudgeons who thinks that a house is a home-a place to help you raise a family, to plant roots, to develop a career-and less of an investment or status symbol. But my way of thinking is not the way of the future, at least in Vancouver. S'okay. I'm alive, I'm healthy, I have family. I'll survive.

drunkrussian 05-08-2013 09:50 PM

wow where the hell is that richmond one lol...kinda random

Dickson_Top 05-08-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8232852)
I remember in 2004, when my family was living in Kits (5th and Alma) and houses in the area were starting to hit the $1.5 million mark, I asked my dad why house prices were so high. And he told me "supply and demand". So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house. We moved to Burnaby in November 2009, at that time the RE bubble was at its peak. I remember plots of land in Dunbar and Point Grey selling for $2-2.5 million. The bubble squeezed my family out of Vancouver and now we live in subsidized housing.

And now you're suffering in the far-off burbs of Burnaby. Oh the horrors!

BurnoutBinLaden 05-08-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickson_Top (Post 8232870)
And now you're suffering in the far-off burbs of Burnaby. Oh the horrors!

I hope I did not sound ungrateful. It's a 10 minute bus ride to SFU and I live in an area surrounded by greenery. And it's so quiet, we would always hear emergency vehicles screaming down 4th, and rip roaring Harleys in the summer. Burnaby is awesome.

Marco911 05-08-2013 10:36 PM

Not sure why anyone would pay over $2M to live in White Rock or Surrey.

willystyle 05-08-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8232914)

It's waterfront property with a nice view. For some, 2 million is just spare change.

daica-viet 05-09-2013 12:53 AM

i thought britsh properties would be on this list

Mr.Money 05-09-2013 05:09 AM

pfft,7 million? :rukidding: Look what 3 million bought me :fullofwin:

http://i41.tinypic.com/652vk4.jpg

punkwax 05-09-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8232852)
So many people want to live on the west side, but there isn't enough land; as a result for some properties the land is worth more than the house.

In the GVA, land is pretty much ALWAYS worth more than the house. You invest in the land, not the structure.

Quote:

Ignorance is bliss.

Hondaracer 05-09-2013 06:59 AM

That deep cove place is very nice you can see it from the water easy but no way I'm paying that price to have people walking around my place all day long, almost no privacy there
Posted via RS Mobile

Hondaracer 05-09-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Through friends I know that a few former CEO's of very large local companies live around the water front in between the strip and crescent beach, I'm assuming they choose to go there because you can actually purchase privacy as opposed to the north shore where your looking into your neighbors kitchen for 15m
Posted via RS Mobile

melloman 05-09-2013 08:26 AM

^^ Abit of an exaggeration, 15mil in North Shore could definitely get you privacy.

But regardless, there's tons of properties worth TONS of money in the GVRD that people probably don't know of. In my area of Central Burnaby, I know of afew houses that are worth about $7-10million for house & property. (And thats in Burnaby)

For reference, we sold my grandmas house in Vancouver about 5 years ago. It was on 8th Ave, just West of Vine. The house was bought in 1955 for $55,000. 5 years ago the property (old shitty house) sold for around $1.4million. The house was estimated at about $100,000. Thus the property alone was worth $1.3mil. Just to give an idea of the crazy RE market and inflation locally.

Gridlock 05-09-2013 09:14 AM

I don't look at those as all that extreme.

You are telling me that I'm entering a Vancouver mansion for 13 times the base price for a detached house on nowhere street in New West?

That doesn't describe real estate extremism to me. The fact that the crap shack on a postage stamp sized lot dwarfed by apartment buildings across the street from me is $450k...THAT's the problem in real estate.

Lomac 05-09-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

And I don't understand why some people are willing to spend that much on a shoebox of an apartment to live in downtown Vancouver.

It's all about preferences. I would way rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach than most other cities in the GVRD.

Marco911 05-09-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8232961)
It's waterfront property with a nice view. For some, 2 million is just spare change.

Yeah but you're out in the boonies. It's like an hour to the nearest Louis Vuitton store.

Marco911 05-09-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 8233185)
And I don't understand why some people are willing to spend that much on a shoebox of an apartment to live in downtown Vancouver.

It's all about preferences. I would way rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach than most other cities in the GVRD.

Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.

Tapioca 05-09-2013 09:56 AM

^ Unless, you need the space to store your stable of sports cars. There are not many mansions in Vancouver that have sufficient extra space for say 5-6 cars.

I know of a fairly rich person who chose to buy property in south Surrey. Rich people don't become rich by spending more money than necessary.
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 05-09-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8233188)
Yeah but you're out in the boonies. It's like an hour to the nearest Louis Vuitton store.

Not every person wants to dress like your favorite rapper. There are lots of multi millionaires that shop at walmart and don't own a $200 pair of jeans.

BurnoutBinLaden 05-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8233252)
Not every person wants to dress like your favorite rapper. There are lots of multi millionaires that shop at walmart and don't own a $200 pair of jeans.

I can confirm this, I went to high school with a guy whose dad is a very high profile doctor at VGH, and their family also has oil wealth. They are not the kind of family to be flashy or conspicuous, the guy's first car was a Taurus.

sdubfid 05-09-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melloman (Post 8233141)
^^ Abit of an exaggeration, 15mil in North Shore could definitely get you privacy.

But regardless, there's tons of properties worth TONS of money in the GVRD that people probably don't know of. In my area of Central Burnaby, I know of afew houses that are worth about $7-10million for house & property. (And thats in Burnaby)

For reference, we sold my grandmas house in Vancouver about 5 years ago. It was on 8th Ave, just West of Vine. The house was bought in 1955 for $55,000. 5 years ago the property (old shitty house) sold for around $1.4million. The house was estimated at about $100,000. Thus the property alone was worth $1.3mil. Just to give an idea of the crazy RE market and inflation locally.

I might be wrong but that's about 6% per year return not including inflation, not too crazy. But when you see $55000-$1400000 it looks crazy without factoring 50+ years.
Inflation from 55-70's approx 2%
From 70's to mid 80's approx 6%
Mid 80's to early 90's approx 4%
90's to current approx 1-2%

If your grandma bought a brand new 1955 chevy nomad for $2500 and only drove it to church it would have the same rate of return as the house/property.

fsy82 05-09-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8233198)
Are you serious? If you rather live in White Rock/Crescent Beach, you should also consider moving to Tofino. It's nice enough for a weekend, but anything longer and YAWN! Is there even a Whole Foods out there yet?

If you've made enough coin to own a property over >$2M, you probably want to be near nice dining, high-end shopping, entertainment, commercial offices and live in a neighbourhood with similar demographics.

BTW, 2M will get you a fairly nice apt downtown and nice home for a family in North Van, so there's absolutely no reason to live about 70 km from civilisation.

I live near white rock and I'm assuming you haven't been there lately. There has been massive development in the retail sector there. Big name stores have moved in. To say White Rock is in the boonies is a pretty stupid statement and one that has no factual basis.

Mr.C 05-09-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco911 (Post 8233198)

No offense, but if I made enough money to drop $2MM plus on a property, I wouldn't buy it anywhere in the Lower Mainland.

Marco911 05-09-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8233203)
^ Unless, you need the space to store your stable of sports cars. There are not many mansions in Vancouver that have sufficient extra space for say 5-6 cars.

I know of a fairly rich person who chose to buy property in south Surrey. Rich people don't become rich by spending more money than necessary.
Posted via RS Mobile

Priorities. Most wealthy people value being near the core downtown area for the reasons I listed than far out from the city.