REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #51
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
lol, I'm pretty sure you ARE wrong....If the oncoming vehicle enters the intersection while it is red, he will be 100% at fault....The light is RED, BEFORE he enters the intersection...thus, he should have had plenty of time to come to a safe stop.

Yes, I agree that the the left turner needs to be a defensive driver, and ensure that everything is clear before going ahead and making the turn, but that does NOT make him at fault.....

Now, if the light is yellow when the oncoming vehicle first enters the intersection, then yes, the left-turner is absolutely at fault...
lawl then you must disagree with DriveSmartBC and the MVA.
Not to mention every other person that disagrees with you.
http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersect...ing-left-turns

Quote:
It would be far safer to wait for the lights to turn red and all the opposing traffic to stop and then make your turn. In this situation you have right of way over cross traffic facing the green light to do so. It also assumes that you have properly entered the intersection on the green light to prepare for the turn.
Motor Vehicle Act

Quote:
When a vehicle is in an intersection and its driver intends to turn left, the driver must yield the right of way to traffic approaching from the opposite direction that is in the intersection or so close as to constitute an immediate hazard,
Ya I don't think an oncoming bendy bus is an immediate hazard at all.

Besides, if we can't prove the light was yellow, how can you be sooo sure that it was red?
For all we know, the light could have gone red the second the bus left the line.

I love how adamant you are though. Not many people are as persistent as you in proving they're correct.
Advertisement
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #52
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Just because the light changes, doesnt tell you that you MUST turn if its not safe to do so... its common sense, as I have stated.. If you are not sure, WAIT and see until you are sure... Theres no point being reckless and endanger yourself and others...
Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #53
I don't get it

The scooter rider does seem like a prick...
from his facebook:
Quote:
To all the Drivers of Vancouver,

DO NOT honk your horn at any two wheeled rider (motorcycle, gas scooter, e-scooter, bicycle) ESPECIALLY when it's your fault and you NEEDED to slam your brakes because you FAILED to stop at the STOP sign. For the life of me I don't know how some people pass the road test for driving. Freaks us riders out when cars honk their horns so close to us.

Sincerely,

All The Riders of Vancouver
dygital is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #54
HELP ME PLS!!!

What a dick. It just freaks him out. Honking the horn gets the attention of a driver if he/she isn't paying attention. WTF would you use it for?
Old 05-10-2013, 05:40 AM   #55
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
^ maybe he can trade one of his cameras for a train horn so he can horn people back

Always give more space for buses especially during rush hour. No bus driver will risk having 50 people fall and getting injured because of another driver's misjudgment and error.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #56
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Regardless of what the law says, if you're on a scooter and you go up against a bus, you will ALWAYS come out on the losing end. "Right of way" doesn't do you any good if you're dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #57

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
squiders gon' squid

guy's a dumbass for turning, would've been hit no matter if he's on a scooter or car
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #58

Quote:
Yes, absolutely, if the bus entered the intersection when the light was still yellow, the scooter guy would be at fault.

But you are stating that ICBC will for sure put the scooter guy at fault, like it's a fact, which means you are saying that the bus got into the intersection when the light was still yellow.

Where is your evidence to prove that the light was yellow when the bus went through the intersection?

I don't take things out of context, you just don't know how to put stuff IN context...
I dont' think you get it. It doesnt' matter if the light is red or yellow. If the bus was not safely able to stop for the light within a reasonable amount of time, they still have the right of way. Yellow or red. Bottom line, it's the left turners responsibility to make sure the intersection is clear. This has happened to me MULTIPLE times while in my car and on my bike. I start turning then hit the brakes when I realize the car is not stopping. You think a bus driver is going to slam on his brakes and throw all the passengers around on the bus just so he makes the yellow instead of the red? I don't thinks so.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #59

Quote:
thus, he should have had plenty of time to come to a safe stop.
Not true. Really, guys.. is this NEW information? I know off hand at least two people if not three IIRC that have been at fault for a left turner accident where the light was already red.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dygital View Post
The scooter rider does seem like a prick...
from his facebook:
You should see some of the other golden posts he has. Always trying to pick a fight with everyone/anyone. Again... one of the reasons I deleted him.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #61
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
from his fb

Quote:
Here are the updates from the accident to those who wanted to know:

My injuries are 2nd and 3rd degree road rash (2nd degree on both arms and lower right back, a fist sized 3rd degree on the upper back where my body hit the pavement first), internal organs shaken, sharp pain behind my front abdominal muscles when I laugh/cough/sneeze, bruises all over my body, and stiff muscles that got pulled like my neck and upper body muscles. So far no indication of neck or spinal injuries, no microfractures either according to my Xrays. And best of all, no injuries to my face!!!! Oh shiny helmet, you are awesome!

I will be talking to a lawyer (thank you to those who messaged me that they know a lawyer who can help me out with this case) this weekend to see if there is a case that can be built from this and what. I'm pretty sure my lil red baby is a write off. It took the brunt of the hit from the bus :'(

I just need a few more days to heal up with my wounds, I'll be back in the loop next week!

Quote:
I believe it was already a red light when he passed that line. Translink will do an investigation as well and look at the video from the bus' point of view and determine if the driver indeed sped up to try to beat the red light and all that. From what I remember that I saw at that instant, the bus not only sped up, he changed lanes too by the intersection. I will let you all know how the investigation goes on this one.

Contrary to public opinion and messages I've been receiving, I didn't "try" to go mano y mano with a 99 B-Line bus full of people. Last time I glimpsed at it before I turned my head left to shoulder check and go it was still on it's designated middle left lane and still far from the intersection. I did not expect the bus to step on the gas to try and beat the light. No one in their right mind will try to go head to head with a bus, if I saw it coming I wouldn't have gone for it to get out of the middle of the intersection since it's already a red light.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #62
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Some people need to realize that stopping a bus that probably weighs 60,000lbs on 3 axles is not a easy task especially with "live loads"

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #63
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

he seems like an aspie. 2nd and 3rd degree road rash?

stop being a little bitch.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #64
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
the scooter guy should be at fault.. the bus clearly wasn't stopping.

I like how he said the bus 'sped up to make the light'.. a bus's acceleration isn't like a car.. if they were stopping for it, you'd know. If they arent slowing down significantly, they're not stopping. this isn't rocket science..
Old 05-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #65
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I dont' think you get it. It doesnt' matter if the light is red or yellow. If the bus was not safely able to stop for the light within a reasonable amount of time, they still have the right of way. Yellow or red. Bottom line, it's the left turners responsibility to make sure the intersection is clear. This has happened to me MULTIPLE times while in my car and on my bike. I start turning then hit the brakes when I realize the car is not stopping. You think a bus driver is going to slam on his brakes and throw all the passengers around on the bus just so he makes the yellow instead of the red? I don't thinks so.
QFT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #66
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i hope he got a due care and attention ticket
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #67
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Scooter rider is mostly at fault, but let's not forget that the bus driver could have not ran the yellow/red light either. That's the beauty of walk signals, it's an early indicator as to when the light is going to change, therefore it could be concluded that the bus driver wasn't paying enough attention in addition to the rider's lack of judgement. If not the walk signal, he could have easily judged how stale the green light was.

Whether you're in a three ton truck or a 1/2 ton car, it's still your duty to anticipate the light changing. That does not excuse the rider, he turned before it was "safe" to do so, but to place the blame on one party alone in this situation is unfair.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #68
Better safe than Surrey

Just got clipped by the bus, didn't get smashed very hard. At least he bailed properly, worst part would be rolling over that curb/grate thing.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #69
Better safe than Surrey

Quote:
Jarder had bought the GoPro the day before after repeated close calls on his scooter and witnessing what he says is clear disdain many Vancouver motorists have for motorcyclists, scooter riders and cyclists.

Read more: Vancouver scooter driver sideswiped by TransLink bus, captures collision on video
Must be a pretty shitty rider to get so many close calls to warrant a go-pro.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I always patiently wait until it's absolutely clear before making my left turns.
Just roll your car out a bit more so it's blocking perpendicular traffic.
There's no way they won't allow you to make your left turn even if you have to wait a long time
and their side turns green. Cause you're blocking their path.

Another tip is to not turn your wheel left until you actually start turning.
Cause if some idiot rear ends you while your wheel's already pointed in the turn position,
you'll get bumped right into a head on collision from the opposite traffic.

And don't assume it's safe to turn left just because the opposite traffic vehicle has it's left turn signal.
They're many bad drivers that might just go straight through without realizing their turn signal is even on.
Use your judgement of speed... if the vehicle looks like it's going way too fast,
it's probably not about to enter a drift. It most likely means it's not turning, despite the signal.

Regardless who's at fault, I'm just glad everyone is okay.
He's lucky he didn't encounter that Russian Bus Driver.
Cause knowing that bus driver, he would have sped up just to teach him a lesson.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 05-10-2013 at 11:54 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #71
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
lawl then you must disagree with DriveSmartBC and the MVA.
Not to mention every other person that disagrees with you.
http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/intersect...ing-left-turns
"lawl", you've got some difficulty with reading comprehension there, don't you?
As I said before, the guy taking the left is ALWAYS stupid for not waiting for the intersection to be safe to turn into, but that does not necessarily make him at fault by the book, as far as I understand anyway.

Again, scooter guy is still the dumbest one in this situation. Thus, I do not disagree with drivesmartbc, nor am I disagreeing with anyone on this thread that regardless of the light, the left turner should have enough common sense to ensure his path is safe...

Last edited by bballguy; 05-10-2013 at 12:00 PM.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #72
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
"lawl", you've got some difficulty with reading comprehension there, don't you?
As I said before, the guy taking the left is ALWAYS stupid for not waiting for the intersection to be safe to turn into, but that does not necessarily make him at fault by the book, as far as I understand anyway.

Again, scooter guy is still the dumbest one in this situation. Thus, I do not disagree with drivesmartbc, nor am I disagreeing with anyone on this thread that regardless of the light, the left turner should have enough common sense to ensure his path is safe...
totally unrelated to topic, but i just noticed that you end every post with an ellipsis lol
Old 05-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #73
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
If horns "freak him out" he clearly isn't confident enough to even be on 2 wheels on a public roadway. He's already shown his inability to be aware of his surroundings on this. (how the fuck can you not tell a 50 foot long bus is coming at you at 60 km/h) How many other times do you think he's "been freaked out by horns" because he was riding like an unaware putz?
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #74
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I hope the scooter guy is at fault
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #75
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Not siding with anyone in this case, frankly i think the guy with the scooter should have ensured it was safe for him to make his left turn before proceeding. That being said, i work by the corner of Main and Terminal and quite often see Buses coming flying through late yellows or just recently turned Reds even, when they do this i have seen lots of close calls with pedestrians who are getting ready to cross the road. Very dangerous and resulted in a fatality last year.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Woman+st...006/story.html
twixxer is offline   Reply With Quote