REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Caught on video: Man bruised, scooter totalled after hit by B-Line bus (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683863-caught-video-man-bruised-scooter-totalled-after-hit-b-line-bus.html)

Harvey Specter 05-09-2013 07:56 PM

Caught on video: Man bruised, scooter totalled after hit by B-Line bus

Guys lucky to be a alive...

Quote:

A Vancouver photographer says he is lucky to be alive after his scooter was struck by a 99 B-Line bus this week.

Mark Jarder was wearing a helmet camera and posted the footage of Tuesday’s crash at Cambie on Broadway on YouTube.

He says the bus may have run a red light when it struck him

"It did. Or very close to, because it was already a late amber light. That is part of the reason why I already turned left."

He says he has some road rash, bruises, and chest pain, but no broken bones.

"The scooter got hit I believe at the back side, and the bus isn't exactly a small thing so I am pretty sure my scooter is totalled."

He has reported the collision and given police the video footage.

Translink spokesperson Derek Zabel says their investigators are looking into it, and have two videos to review.

"They will take a look at not only the video that was posted on YouTube, but also on video that was onboard the bus as well, and then make an adjudication based on all of that. It is my understanding that right now Coast Mountain Bus is investigating the accident."

Zabel says they will "follow through" if the driver is found to be at fault.

As far as buses rushing a yellow light, he says drivers are held to a higher standard, but there may have been other factors at play.

Local News Story - CKNW AM 980: News. Talk. Sports.

Santofu 05-09-2013 08:02 PM

I'm not surprised. Most of the b-lines run pretty late in that intersections.

Lomac 05-09-2013 08:03 PM

Damn.

You can even see for a split second in the slow motion that the light was red as he was turning.

Half a second earlier and that guy very well could have been a goner.

BurnoutBinLaden 05-09-2013 08:09 PM

Major kudos to the bystanders who immediately came to his assistance. They knew exactly what to do.

murd0c 05-09-2013 08:14 PM

as per ICBC it's the guy on the scooters fault. Just cause the light is yellow doesn't mean it's ok to turn. Most of the time I wait until the light is red and the intersection is clear when turning left so this doesn't happen.... I don't feel bad for him at all cause its like he feels it's cause hes on a scooter he doesn't have to follow normal rules any other motor vehicle has.

Marco911 05-09-2013 08:17 PM

Rider of the scooter clearly misjudged the speed of bus. He shouldn't have crossed the intersection till it was clear and safe to do so. That's what happens when you pay more attention to traffic signals than traffic around you.

FatalCloud 05-09-2013 08:20 PM

darn it, i came into this thread hoping it was the scooter guy from the shitty/dangerous drivers thread

BurnoutBinLaden 05-09-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8233676)
as per ICBC it's the guy on the scooters fault. Just cause the light is yellow doesn't mean it's ok to turn. Most of the time I wait until the light is red and the intersection is clear when turning left so this doesn't happen.... I don't feel bad for him at all cause its like he feels it's cause hes on a scooter he doesn't have to follow normal rules any other motor vehicle has.

It amazes me how gutsy some people are. When my dad taught me how to drive, he emphasized the principles of being a defensive driver-because, in his words, "you can never predict what another driver will do." As a result, I am super cautious when making turns, even in Burnaby where traffic is relatively light. I see so many irresponsible left turns and near-misses during rush hour it's ridiculous!

vyrospec 05-09-2013 08:24 PM

I actually know the guy personally and agree with most of you that the fault is on his side.
Obviously he wasn't paying attention of the bus and wasn't wearing enough safety gear as well.

k3mps 05-09-2013 08:39 PM

I want to see the busses video. Sure he may have ran a red / late amber, but coming to a safe complete stop is harder for a bus than a car, especially if you have passengers standing. Since it was a bendy bus with probably a full load, I guess the operator thought it was unsafe to slam on the brakes.

TOPEC 05-09-2013 08:42 PM

the driver/rider turning whether it be a green/yellow/red is at fault. ur suppose to make sure the intersection is clear before proceeding. looks like hes trying to push the blame to the bus just cus it "ran a red"

Hondaracer 05-09-2013 09:23 PM

always love the people who explain how they got t-boned etc. "but the light was red!"

so? fuck your not smart enough to wait until oncomming traffic has slowed enough that your positive they will not continue through the intersection?

my bosses son wrote off his 71' Chevelle SS through similar judgement, what a waste

falcon 05-09-2013 09:36 PM

I knew this guy back a few years ago and just deleted him on FB. Always spamming my feed. Anyways, seems like the kind of guy who will make SUCH a big deal out of this and all the while not realizing he is completely at fault. Seriously, turning on a yellow in front of a bus? Sounds like a GREAT idea. Last time I checked bus drivers don't give a shit about anyone eles and are always trying to stay on schedule. Maybe he did run a yellow, but still... it's the left turners responsibility to make sure the intersection is clear before turning.

Also, mandatory 49cc scooter training NOW please. Being a motorcycle rider I am sick of these wieners running around in traffic pretending to know how to ride on two wheels. Just because you have a class 5 should not mean you know how to ride on two wheels, scooter or not. Also, nice riding jacket... oh wait. Roadrash sucks. Bet he won't ride without one again.

And yes, he is lucky to be alive.

falcon 05-09-2013 09:36 PM

Prob. paid like $5000 for that hipstermobile vintage Vespa.. lol.

Gh0stRider 05-09-2013 09:37 PM

squid. riding in shorts and tshirt.

falcon 05-09-2013 09:41 PM

My mistake, it's a Honda Jazz... even more gay.

westopher 05-09-2013 09:45 PM

Fuck the thought of getting impaled on a bike or part of the bike rack on the front just sent some shivers down my spine.

Ludepower 05-09-2013 09:45 PM

maybe if he had a real bike...he woulda made it :)

Jonydakiller 05-09-2013 09:49 PM

only if he has a 600/1000...I would of made it on mine:whistle:

falcon 05-09-2013 09:50 PM

Actually the more I look at it the more it looks like a Vespa. I used to sell Honda's and this looks nothing like them... integrated signals, the chrome on the front, the faded red paint. Anyways... besides the point.

Kidnapman 05-09-2013 09:59 PM

naaw guys you all got it wrong. Supermotos ftmfw. Drift that fucken turn with one leg down.

bcrdukes 05-09-2013 09:59 PM

Looks like a Vespa S50.

Any way, you never try to out run the bus. Should have waited. noob got owned and lived to make a big deal out of it.

bobbinka 05-09-2013 10:11 PM

how hard is it to just wait till the intersection is clear? buses and trucks run the yellow (and sometimes even the split second after it's turned red) simply cause they can't stop in time given the load, or that it would be unsafe to do so for the passengers. even if the bus/truck driver ends up being at fault, who in the right mind would put their lives at risk just to make that left turn 3 seconds earlier?

Happy 05-09-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8233676)

I hope ICBC fucks him if he tries to pull an insurance scam out of this
Posted via RS Mobile

pinn3r 05-09-2013 10:29 PM

the #99 goes pretty fuckin fast sometimes.. especially from main to cambie where there's a long stretch of road before reaching the next stop. the driver just books it
same goes for the #43
i don't think it's that the bus driver ran the red light; but probably more like the driver couldn't safely slow down the vehicle in time

scooter guy's fault