REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Richmond IKEA - Employees locked out

Richmond IKEA employees handed lockout notices | News1130

Quote:
Picket lines will be set up at the IKEA in Richmond on Monday.

Employees have been given lockout notices after they rejected concession demands in a proposed collective agreement.

The agreement also included a proposed return to a tiered wage system.

“We have been negotiating with the company for some time now,” says Anita Dawson, Business Representative with Teamsters Local 213 which represents the 350 workers at IKEA. “ We have put two company offers to a vote and our members rejected them both times.”

Members have also voted in favour of giving the union a strike mandate, which they say will make their position stronger at the bargaining table.

“The company has showed little interest in dealing with our issues at the bargaining table,” says Dawson. “They seem intent on following their agenda which involve cutbacks. Our members are not interested in going backwards.”

There are no scheduled talks between IKEA and the union.

I didn't know that Richmond IKEA is unionised. It's the only one that is. Looks like it's union-busting time.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
PRINCESS

They did this once back in I think 06 ish.
I remember going there for breakfast back when I was an LG with my LG friends and then coming back home disappointed
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
wow...did not know that some Ikea stores were unionized. Wonder what the issues are.

My ex worked at Ikea and he loved it. Staff had so many perks...made me jelly.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Only the Richmond one is unionised. The Teamsters have been trying to get Coquitlam unionised for a while, now.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
My dad used to work for IKEA and they are the most cut throat business people ever. They know how to save money, make money, and squeeze every last penny out of their suppliers.

I don't see IKEA giving in very much. I still can't believe IKEA is owned by one family. It's pretty amazing.

My dad told me a story about when Ingvar Kamprad (owner of IKEA), when he was in Bombay on business a while back. They were at location A, which was about 2-3miles from their next meeting location. Instead of paying for taxi's/limo's to transport them, he made the decision they would walk it in the 40 degree heat to save money. Not sure why this story stuck with me, I think it was because my dad has a lot of respect for the guy so when he was telling me the story, he made him sound like such a boss.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

2 miles is nothing if you want to explore a city.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Ive known people who worked at Ikea, the place is a joke and they are definitely overpaid. Even they admit it.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

So i'm guessing if I go to IKEA in Richmond this weekend, not a single fuck will be given by any of the employees.

Could be a negative or a positive shopping experience. I'm thinking of the IKEA commercial where the woman is running and screaming "start the car, start the car!!"... but what if this weekend, she never went through the checkout.

Hmmm....
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
My dad used to work for IKEA and they are the most cut throat business people ever. They know how to save money, make money, and squeeze every last penny out of their suppliers.

I don't see IKEA giving in very much. I still can't believe IKEA is owned by one family. It's pretty amazing.

My dad told me a story about when Ingvar Kamprad (owner of IKEA), when he was in Bombay on business a while back. They were at location A, which was about 2-3miles from their next meeting location. Instead of paying for taxi's/limo's to transport them, he made the decision they would walk it in the 40 degree heat to save money. Not sure why this story stuck with me, I think it was because my dad has a lot of respect for the guy so when he was telling me the story, he made him sound like such a boss.
It's India how much could it have cost for a taxi. When most I know go back to India they rent a car and driver by the day.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Quote:
Ingvar Kamprad is known to be very, very conservative with his money.

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 05-10-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
So i'm guessing if I go to IKEA in Richmond this weekend, not a single fuck will be given by any of the employees.

Could be a negative or a positive shopping experience. I'm thinking of the IKEA commercial where the woman is running and screaming "start the car, start the car!!"... but what if this weekend, she never went through the checkout.

Hmmm....
I'm pretty sure not a single fuck will be given because they're not working. A lockout means that the doors are closed, and ain't nobody getting in.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I'm pretty sure not a single fuck will be given because they're not working. A lockout means that the doors are closed, and ain't nobody getting in.
Lockout starts Monday. He's talking about this weekend.

...I think?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Uh oh, now the union bosses won't be able to afford an ivory backscratcher to give to their mothers for mother's day.

This is a travesty of justice.
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
wow...did not know that some Ikea stores were unionized. Wonder what the issues are.

My ex worked at Ikea and he loved it. Staff had so many perks...made me jelly.
my sister in law works there. supposedly they are slashing their benefits in half and bringing back in a tier pay system.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
my sister in law works there. supposedly they are slashing their benefits in half and bringing back in a tier pay system.
So... bringing it back in line with basically everyone else working in a retail environment?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

no $1 breakfast on monday
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #17

Quote:

I wonder how much these guys make. Interdasting.

Regardless, most of what Ikea sells sucks.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #18
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
i only go to ikea to eat
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Watch, they'll compromise where the current employees get to keep there shit and all new employees will be under the new garbage wage and benefit plan. It's pretty typical and it's how companies get the unions to agree. Workers don't want to stay on strike, figure well this isn't really going to effect me lets sign.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

InB4 CharlesInCharge posts some retarded PressTV video explaining how Ingvar is actually a Zionist conspirator plotting world domination through the worldwide sale of crappy DIY furniture...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:

What kind of multi billionaire owner/ceo's time is so worthless? You think he and the people he was with had nothing better to do than walk? Think about what kind of hourly rate that group he was with pulls in. If he rather they spend time walking instead of being productive then he truly doesn't understand the concept of value.

Maybe they did walk, but it sure as hell wasn't to save a few rupees.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #22
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^ i read an article way back describing his daily lifestyle and it mentioned how even as a billionaire he wiuld collect and use coupons to shop at his local grocery store. That and how he still drives a 17 year old volvo because "it still runs".

Based on what ive read, i would believe that he would walk to save a few dollars
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
^ i read an article way back describing his daily lifestyle and it mentioned how even as a billionaire he wiuld collect and use coupons to shop at his local grocery store. That and how he still drives a 17 year old volvo because "it still runs".

Based on what ive read, i would believe that he would walk to save a few dollars
Yeah, the article is spot on about the IKEA owner's frugality. He sounds like a miserly billionaire.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Occasionally I get some furniture from Ikea, like their Detolf display case and their wooden boards and such. Good for DIYers like me
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #25

better get back to work becuase much like their malm collection, the management at ikea are cheap and they aint breakin for nobody
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote