REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Richmond IKEA - Employees locked out (https://www.revscene.net/forums/683899-richmond-ikea-employees-locked-out.html)

Presto 05-10-2013 05:45 PM

Richmond IKEA - Employees locked out

Richmond IKEA employees handed lockout notices | News1130

Quote:

Picket lines will be set up at the IKEA in Richmond on Monday.

Employees have been given lockout notices after they rejected concession demands in a proposed collective agreement.

The agreement also included a proposed return to a tiered wage system.

“We have been negotiating with the company for some time now,” says Anita Dawson, Business Representative with Teamsters Local 213 which represents the 350 workers at IKEA. “ We have put two company offers to a vote and our members rejected them both times.”

Members have also voted in favour of giving the union a strike mandate, which they say will make their position stronger at the bargaining table.

“The company has showed little interest in dealing with our issues at the bargaining table,” says Dawson. “They seem intent on following their agenda which involve cutbacks. Our members are not interested in going backwards.”

There are no scheduled talks between IKEA and the union.

I didn't know that Richmond IKEA is unionised. It's the only one that is. Looks like it's union-busting time.

MeowMeow 05-10-2013 05:49 PM

They did this once back in I think 06 ish.
I remember going there for breakfast back when I was an LG with my LG friends and then coming back home disappointed :(

dinosaur 05-10-2013 06:11 PM

wow...did not know that some Ikea stores were unionized. Wonder what the issues are.

My ex worked at Ikea and he loved it. Staff had so many perks...made me jelly.

Presto 05-10-2013 06:14 PM

Only the Richmond one is unionised. The Teamsters have been trying to get Coquitlam unionised for a while, now.

TheKingdom2000 05-10-2013 06:15 PM

My dad used to work for IKEA and they are the most cut throat business people ever. They know how to save money, make money, and squeeze every last penny out of their suppliers.

I don't see IKEA giving in very much. I still can't believe IKEA is owned by one family. It's pretty amazing.

My dad told me a story about when Ingvar Kamprad (owner of IKEA), when he was in Bombay on business a while back. They were at location A, which was about 2-3miles from their next meeting location. Instead of paying for taxi's/limo's to transport them, he made the decision they would walk it in the 40 degree heat to save money. Not sure why this story stuck with me, I think it was because my dad has a lot of respect for the guy so when he was telling me the story, he made him sound like such a boss.

meowjinboo 05-10-2013 06:36 PM

2 miles is nothing if you want to explore a city.

rsx 05-10-2013 06:49 PM

Ive known people who worked at Ikea, the place is a joke and they are definitely overpaid. Even they admit it.

adambomb 05-10-2013 07:01 PM

So i'm guessing if I go to IKEA in Richmond this weekend, not a single fuck will be given by any of the employees.

Could be a negative or a positive shopping experience. I'm thinking of the IKEA commercial where the woman is running and screaming "start the car, start the car!!"... but what if this weekend, she never went through the checkout.

Hmmm.... :considered:

Manic! 05-10-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 8234494)
My dad used to work for IKEA and they are the most cut throat business people ever. They know how to save money, make money, and squeeze every last penny out of their suppliers.

I don't see IKEA giving in very much. I still can't believe IKEA is owned by one family. It's pretty amazing.

My dad told me a story about when Ingvar Kamprad (owner of IKEA), when he was in Bombay on business a while back. They were at location A, which was about 2-3miles from their next meeting location. Instead of paying for taxi's/limo's to transport them, he made the decision they would walk it in the 40 degree heat to save money. Not sure why this story stuck with me, I think it was because my dad has a lot of respect for the guy so when he was telling me the story, he made him sound like such a boss.

It's India how much could it have cost for a taxi. When most I know go back to India they rent a car and driver by the day.

Marshall Placid 05-10-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Ingvar Kamprad is known to be very, very conservative with his money.

Graeme S 05-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adambomb (Post 8234521)
So i'm guessing if I go to IKEA in Richmond this weekend, not a single fuck will be given by any of the employees.

Could be a negative or a positive shopping experience. I'm thinking of the IKEA commercial where the woman is running and screaming "start the car, start the car!!"... but what if this weekend, she never went through the checkout.

Hmmm.... :considered:

I'm pretty sure not a single fuck will be given because they're not working. A lockout means that the doors are closed, and ain't nobody getting in.

Lomac 05-10-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8234603)
I'm pretty sure not a single fuck will be given because they're not working. A lockout means that the doors are closed, and ain't nobody getting in.

Lockout starts Monday. He's talking about this weekend.

...I think? :lol

El Bastardo 05-10-2013 09:50 PM

Uh oh, now the union bosses won't be able to afford an ivory backscratcher to give to their mothers for mother's day.

This is a travesty of justice.

Alby 05-10-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8234489)
wow...did not know that some Ikea stores were unionized. Wonder what the issues are.

My ex worked at Ikea and he loved it. Staff had so many perks...made me jelly.

my sister in law works there. supposedly they are slashing their benefits in half and bringing back in a tier pay system.

Lomac 05-10-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8234651)
my sister in law works there. supposedly they are slashing their benefits in half and bringing back in a tier pay system.

So... bringing it back in line with basically everyone else working in a retail environment?

keifun 05-10-2013 11:54 PM

no $1 breakfast on monday :okay:

subordinate 05-11-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

I wonder how much these guys make. Interdasting.

Regardless, most of what Ikea sells sucks.

J.C 05-11-2013 12:36 AM

i only go to ikea to eat

quasi 05-11-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Watch, they'll compromise where the current employees get to keep there shit and all new employees will be under the new garbage wage and benefit plan. It's pretty typical and it's how companies get the unions to agree. Workers don't want to stay on strike, figure well this isn't really going to effect me lets sign.

Soundy 05-11-2013 02:27 AM

Quote:

InB4 CharlesInCharge posts some retarded PressTV video explaining how Ingvar is actually a Zionist conspirator plotting world domination through the worldwide sale of crappy DIY furniture... :fuckyea:

MoBettah 05-11-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

What kind of multi billionaire owner/ceo's time is so worthless? You think he and the people he was with had nothing better to do than walk? Think about what kind of hourly rate that group he was with pulls in. If he rather they spend time walking instead of being productive then he truly doesn't understand the concept of value.

Maybe they did walk, but it sure as hell wasn't to save a few rupees.

zetazeta 05-11-2013 08:54 AM

^ i read an article way back describing his daily lifestyle and it mentioned how even as a billionaire he wiuld collect and use coupons to shop at his local grocery store. That and how he still drives a 17 year old volvo because "it still runs".

Based on what ive read, i would believe that he would walk to save a few dollars

pastarocket 05-11-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetazeta (Post 8234846)
^ i read an article way back describing his daily lifestyle and it mentioned how even as a billionaire he wiuld collect and use coupons to shop at his local grocery store. That and how he still drives a 17 year old volvo because "it still runs".

Based on what ive read, i would believe that he would walk to save a few dollars

Yeah, the article is spot on about the IKEA owner's frugality. He sounds like a miserly billionaire.

Akinari 05-11-2013 11:45 AM

Occasionally I get some furniture from Ikea, like their Detolf display case and their wooden boards and such. Good for DIYers like me :thumbs:

drunkrussian 05-11-2013 12:10 PM

better get back to work becuase much like their malm collection, the management at ikea are cheap and they aint breakin for nobody