REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
Upgrading Compustar

Can a car that currently has the CM4000 brain installed, be easily upgraded to the new 6000 series brain? If so, what's involved? If not, why?
Advertisement
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
RS Licensed Vendor

Easy? Depends on ur definition. Is it plug and play? No.

Easy for a long term veteran installer? Kinda. Maybe hour or two depening on the features. From what I gather the harnesses and antenna cable would be diff (assuming you're changing the remotes also). Only thing that would stay is the shock sensor and LED.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

yeah, when i said easy, I meant plug and play.

the main reason I asked, was to change remotes, so your assumption was a good one.

guess I'm sticking with my CM4000 brain. I think the best remote out there that's compatible with my brain is the 2W9000FM? Anyone have one lying around they want to sell?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
RS Licensed Vendor

I miiiiiight have one. Not sure if its FM or SH.

The 9000 isn't bad either, just not as pretty as the 901.

Ask orgasm_donor. He might have something that works. I'll see if the one I have is FM or SH tm.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,693 Times in 1,625 Posts
I have a 2W9000FMR remote I'm not using.

It has signs of wear, and from what I remember, the little speaker may not be working.

PM me if you want it, it's yours for free - unless you can find a better one.
inv4zn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
RS Licensed Vendor

I only have SS.

If in4zn gives you a working FM remote, I have tons of antenna's. Should have one that works for yours.

Mike @ SOundsgood might have one too. Dunno who's closer. I'm in Richmond
Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

I need a new antenna to get the 2W9000FM to work?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

im in the same boat,, ...my button inside just fell off and screen is gone aswell. i have extra 1 way remote if u want..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
I need a new antenna to get the 2W9000FM to work?
Posted via RS Mobile
I dunno. Depends which antenna you have now.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
I dunno. Depends which antenna you have now.
on the sticker it says
FM-2W-433 S
the "S" is inside of a circle, similar to the "C" for copyright
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
RS Licensed Vendor

It "should" work. Doesn't hurt to try anyways. If it doesn't I have plenty of antenna's.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #12

so i'm finding that the 2-way signal is pretty bad. I was querying as i walked towards my car and it wasn't until I was about 500m away, both car and I were out in the open, with small buildings/structures in between (so I wasn't in direct view of my car). Another example, I was parked at metro near the old zellers/foodcourt, i didn't get signal until I was at Lids, which was less than 1 minute walk away from my car.

Will upgrading just the antenna help? I'm currently using the antenna mentioned in Post #10
Old 06-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't work with car alarms, but I do work with radios. The way to improve your alarm system is to (1) increase the sensitivity of your antenna or (2) boost transmit power of your remote.

(1) is not reasonably feasible, it has to do with impedance matching etc. The alarm companies know what they are doing, improving cabling leads to diminishing returns.

(2) can be done by using a quality battery in the remote. Pop in a battery made for a digital camera, range might be boosted by ~10% if you're using the knockoff batteries from the dollar store. You're looking for a battery which pumps out more current because more current = more power.

If you change the frequency of your alarm/remote, you should get an antenna to match. I'm not sure how the alarm antenna is designed, but most receiver systems have a filter to block out unwanted/different frequencies.

Honestly, the range you're getting from your alarm is pretty good if you bought 2000ft range alarm (500m = 1600+ft). Normally, to get full range of the marketed distance is if there are no obstructions and all the planets line up perfectly (seriously).

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

The 4000 brain is limited to it's ability to offer two way communication to newer remotes.

If you want range, then it's the 6000 brain with the SS remotes. Their technology far out performs anything that Compustar has ever had.
To get the upgrade, drop into a shop to see how your original installation was done. If it is an exceptable job, then re-installation of the new unit won't be so bad. If it's not acceptable, then a total removal & rewire will need to be done.
First thing's first...get it inspected, get a quote, go from there.

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I do have the 2W9000FMR remote BNIB, but i need to find out how much 901 is gunna cost before I put a price on the 9000.
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
so i'm finding that the 2-way signal is pretty bad. I was querying as i walked towards my car and it wasn't until I was about 500m away, both car and I were out in the open, with small buildings/structures in between (so I wasn't in direct view of my car). Another example, I was parked at metro near the old zellers/foodcourt, i didn't get signal until I was at Lids, which was less than 1 minute walk away from my car.

Will upgrading just the antenna help? I'm currently using the antenna mentioned in Post #10
That's pretty good already. You will rarely get the advertised range. If you have half that's already amazing.

Also remember you're on FM frequency. The more concrete, glass, etc etc the more limited the range. You could upgrade to the 6000 series + and SS remote, but even that will be limited in range if you're parked underground.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by installerz View Post
The 4000 brain is limited to it's ability to offer two way communication to newer remotes.

If you want range, then it's the 6000 brain with the SS remotes. Their technology far out performs anything that Compustar has ever had.
To get the upgrade, drop into a shop to see how your original installation was done. If it is an exceptable job, then re-installation of the new unit won't be so bad. If it's not acceptable, then a total removal & rewire will need to be done.
First thing's first...get it inspected, get a quote, go from there.
The original set up was done by you or someone else at Soundsgood back when it was just he Coquitlam location. It was when the 2W9000FMR was the best out there and the 1-way remote was the white circle one. Since the install, the 2W9000FMR broke, and of course with new remotes introduced, why not look into upgrading. I would have been ok with buying the new remotes + antenna, but after talking to a Compustar "expert" I was informed that the 4000 brain and 6000 brain are wired differently and I'd need almost a whole new install done. A whole new install isn't worth it to me at this point in time, so I went with the best remote that the brain can handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
That's pretty good already. You will rarely get the advertised range. If you have half that's already amazing.

Also remember you're on FM frequency. The more concrete, glass, etc etc the more limited the range. You could upgrade to the 6000 series + and SS remote, but even that will be limited in range if you're parked underground.
This is my first compustar, so I guess I was caught off guard by the range being so small since i read comments/reviews like inv4zn, where he's on the 16th floor and gets signal at P1. He's using the new 901, so that might not be a good example. However, I do know of others with the 2W9000FMR say they're in Metrotown and get signal from in P1, or they're on the 4th floor of their condo and get signal while in their underground parking. I was expecting a little more since the whole purpose of 2-Way is to notify you, but right now it seems like the alarm will be good for when i'm at home with the car parked outside and not if I'm at home depot and some turd hits my car in the parking lot.

so finding an antenna that is a little newer won't improve the signal a little? like maybe the antenna that goes with the 5000 brain?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:

so finding an antenna that is a little newer won't improve the signal a little? like maybe the antenna that goes with the 5000 brain?
Fraid not.... Doesn't hurt to try if you have one handy. You could try relocating the antenna for better range.