REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Hong Kong official has found the solution for sexual assault

Quote:
Secretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok was presenting figures on crime in the city for the first quarter, which showed that rape cases soared 60 percent, when he made the comments.

"All of these (rape) cases happened between those who know each other. They are either friends, close friends or they just met a few hours ago," Mr Lai said during the presentation yesterday.

"Some of these cases also involved the victims being raped after drinking quite a lot of alcohol. So I would appeal that young ladies should not drink too much," Mr Lai said.

The Security Bureau had no immediate comment on the response. It confirmed that the number of rapes in the first quarter had risen by 13 to 35.
There were 121 cases of rape in Hong Kong in 2012, an increase of 33 percent on the previous year.
If women don't want to be raped they shouldn't drink too much, says Hong Kong official - Telegraph

You heard the man, ladies. Put down those Crantinis.
Advertisement
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
I hear that's a great way to prevent being hung over as well.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts

Save some money too while we're at it...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
This fool of the Hong Kong government has it all wrong. I think he's never ever heard the term "capital punishment". Saudi Arabia has capital punishment for a criminal offenses such as rape.

Heck, caning a person is mandatory punishment in Singapore for a criminal offences including rape.

If you're wacked with a four foot cane, half an inch thick, I would think a person would think twice about raping a woman.

-not condoning this form of punishment for rape. I'm just saying that there are much stronger deterrents against rape that would make a guy think twice about committing this type of crime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_in_Singapore
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I was wacked with a cane back in school in the 80's and I could tell ya it sucks big time!!

I'm sure not many people here can say that (MG1 doesn't count lol)
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
well they solved it, thanks hong kong!

/thread

snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
This fool of the Hong Kong government has it all wrong. I think he's never ever heard the term "capital punishment". Saudi Arabia has capital punishment for a criminal offenses such as rape.

Heck, caning a person is mandatory punishment in Singapore for a criminal offences including rape.

If you're wacked with a four foot cane, half an inch thick, I would think a person would think twice about raping a woman.

-not condoning this form of punishment for rape. I'm just saying that there are much stronger deterrents against rape that would make a guy think twice about committing this type of crime.

Caning in Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fuck,they should have that here & Hard prisons like Russia's
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
i don't see what's wrong with the statement. he simply said that victims of rape are often drunk or with drunk people. so if you don't go out drinking, it'll lower your chances of getting raped, or be more careful when your'e out drinking.

it's like saying don't drink before you drive, cuz it'll increase your chances of getting into a car crash. he didn't say you won't crash if you don't drink, but the stats are clearly positively correlated as is in the case of drinking and rape here.

he's just appealing to girls to protect themselves by being cognizant of where they are, who they're with, and how drunk they get.

sounds like another case of one simple statement being blown up by the media.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Canada has one the weakest punishments... thats why people do shit again and again... they just dont learn or want to be though of as a tough guy... give them a harsher punishment and lets see them do that shit again... forget jail time... thats just wasting tax payers money...
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Toronto figured it out a while ago

jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
Canada has one the weakest punishments... thats why people do shit again and again... they just dont learn or want to be though of as a tough guy... give them a harsher punishment and lets see them do that shit again... forget jail time... thats just wasting tax payers money...
first, id like to preface my post with

youre a fucking retard.

next, id like to point you to the mountain of emprical information that states harsher punishments do nothing to reduce crime, and violent crime has been decreasing every year (and crime in general)

theres a reason canada is a much better country than autocratic shitholes like iran and china

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 05-15-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
I don't get it

Mr. Lai's overarching theme was "don't drink to excess and you will be better equipped to protect yourself if things go wrong."

He did not say women are at fault for being raped.

He did not tell women to dress modestly to avoid being raped.

This advice is standard issue at college campuses around the world. People are sensitive because of comments made by people like Sheikh Tal el-Din Hilaly, Todd Akin and half of India's men-I get it. But "don't get so drunk that you can't control yourself" =/= "cover yourself you harlot!"
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #13

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
first, id like to preface my post with

youre a fucking retard.

next, id like to point you to the mountain of emprical information that states harsher punishments do nothing to reduce crime, and violent crime has been decreasing every year (and crime in general)

theres a reason canada is a much better country than autocratic shitholes like iran and china
Yeah, you go man...Instead of just explaining to him to the facts, let's call him a 'fucking retard', that'll teach him!!
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I agree with capital punishment. Though there is a flaw that prevents capital punishment from being more effective than it could be. Wrongful execution. Human's aren't really the best gods when it comes to justice. Read somewhere that it isn't uncommon for an innocent person to be executed while the bad guy gets off the hook. This could be due to the fact that the judge being an idiot or corruption. One final thing that prevents capital punishment from being effective is the law. We have too many grey areas in our legal system and also the fact that we look at the cases subjectively doesn't help either. Until all of this is sorted out, capital punishment will only ever be a dream to those who believe in justice. Maybe when one day we have an omniscient and fair being such as a robot or something to take over the court we'll be able to implement capital punishment.
Kidnapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,733 Times in 954 Posts
I thought it was pretty much agreed that harsh consequences do not deter socially frowned on behaviours. I'm pretty sure 90% of people that murder know that you'll end up in jail for a long time if you do it.

I've talked to a few people that have been convicted of multiple murders and served time. All of them knew the penalty. The one thing in common they both said was that they did not even think about it. They knew the implications but was not even on their mind when they do it. I know this may be hard to imagine but this is how it was explained to me. Have you ever had a time in the past where you did something really stupid and thought to yourself "Why the hell did I do that?" or "Why did I not do this instead?".

The answer may seen very clear to you and I when we're sitting at home playing armchair judge and jury, but the "heat of the moment" is very powerful.

I guess that's why there are so many degrees of murder in law.

Another thing they said was that prison makes them very bitter. Not bitter becasue they got busted, but bitter because they were locked together other criminals. It was a school on how to become a better criminal. The lack of rehabilitation programs (I know, how do you fix murders?) in the prison system was very poor according to them. The post-prison support is ever worse according to these people I talked to.

Just some of the stuff I came across thought I would toss in here. Take it for what it's worth. It's a little bias I'm sure.

Last edited by trollface; 05-15-2013 at 03:29 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

YOU DONT SAY
Phuck Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Omg, seriously?
1+ for capital punishment
Posted via RS Mobile
BBMme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
first of all violent crime in Canada has been decreasing despite what the media may portray

china has one of the harshest punishment if capital punishment work there should be NOBODY that dare to do it for death is the greatest fear of us mortal.
I don't think I have to say anymore how that works out for china.

first of all People that commit these crime don't do it with the thought of getting caught. By having harsh punishment yours just making criminal more hardcore. Scare away all the pussies and leave the real hardcore people. Really do we want that instead?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #19
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Spoiler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMme View Post
Omg, seriously?
1+ for capital punishment
Posted via RS Mobile

I really hope you guys do know the difference between CAPITAL and CORPORAL Punishment
Old 05-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
how many times have you heard rapists and killers on parole only to do that shit again and again... im sure they wont stop after they get out of jail the first time...
Or drunk drivers who killed people, go to jail, come back out only to kill another victim in drunk driving...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #21
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Maybe the solution is not to hang out with creepy honger dudes? Normal people simply don't rape no matter how horny we are...
Wongtouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #22
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
you can't stop someone easily who's set to rape/murder/etc someone

but if you have excellent preventative measures to make it extremely hard for them to rape it would lessen their chances

not getting shitfaced especially around those you don't know/trust is certainly near the top of that list

don't see anything wrong with the comment

edit: care to elaborate skinny? preventative measures are unnecessary you say? we shouldn't need preventative measures? we can stop those who are set on an action? (nope)

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-16-2013 at 02:30 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #23

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Spoiler!

Easily countered by rolling back up.

But on a real note, I believe this is only applicable to a certain extent as we do have rapists in broad daylight committing their crimes. Most I can say about this is that clubs/bars/lounges/"buddies birthday party" are simply key locations for criminals to EASILY take advantage of females/males and getting away with afterwards.

Criminals will always do crime.
Xu.Vi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #25
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
lol, punishment isn't going to slow rape down.

sex is a drug, the problem is it takes two (or more) to have sex.

the obvious solution is getting more men laid more often. hahaha...
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: