REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Gear Review Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684141-gear-review-thread.html)

!oHenry 05-15-2013 11:32 PM

Gear Review Thread

Got that new $700 helmet? Not sure about that new jacket you've been eyeing? Not sure if something is overhyped, or genuinely worth the value? Show off your new gear here!!! Write a review, post some pictures. We all know how expensive gear can be so why not help fellow riders make some informed choices. :thumbsup:

Raid3n 05-16-2013 10:10 AM

i've got a new jacket coming in tomorrow so i'll write a review of the Teknic Striker

radioman 05-16-2013 12:26 PM

Hmm id love to see what gear costs as someone looking to gear up shortly!

z3german 05-16-2013 03:39 PM

Pulled from all the posts from the last gear review thread

Spoiler!

?NR 05-16-2013 06:12 PM

thanks Bart!

Gh0stRider 05-16-2013 06:52 PM

let's see some camera reviews.
drift ghost hd!
Posted via RS Mobile

?NR 05-16-2013 07:31 PM

ghost Hd has poor lowlights. But when it has ample light it's pretty smooth. The included remote is handy and can switch modes on the fly, such as still shots while filming, or burst shots. The ui takes a bit to get used to, but having a built in screen makes it simple. Solid construction and decent battery life. Suction mount is solid as well as helmet mounts. One of the best feature is the rotatable lense. I have one Sam, feel free to check it out next time.
Posted via RS Mobile

Gh0stRider 05-16-2013 09:06 PM

really tempted to order one off amazon. been watching youtube reviews and all is good.

Raid3n 05-16-2013 11:37 PM

i have that bell vortex flying tiger.. it's not bad for the price. but from what i hear, bell is hard to find locally now.. and i don't think you can get accessories for them locally either

CharlieH 05-19-2013 03:35 PM

I figured I'd post a review of my current track set up, and so i can show off some poser pics :gayfight:

Group photo at our first track day of 2013
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...eapr262013.jpg

What my current get up looks like. Excuse the shit ass tape job, I was too lazy to slap on my race fairings that weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...4-JAYT7214.jpg

Suit: Alpinestars Atem $1499
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_145438.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_151252.jpg

I'm 5'9", 165lbs and wearing a size 52/42 in the suit and it's by far the most comfortable 1-piece I've ever ridden in. Prior to this I had similarly priced Dainese and RS-Taichi suits but none of them felt this damn good. The leather is very supple and the huge stretch panels in the back are great for mobility on the bike. I don't feel as constricted when hanging off the bike and it just makes everything more comfortable as a whole. Compared to the Dainese Avro I wore (and crashed in) last season, this one has external elbow and knee protection, which I'm not sure contributes to added safety but definitely looks more bad ass. The Atem also has a removable under liner that can be washed and cleaned after those sweaty track days, which is a nice added feature, but I wear base layers so it's not an issue for me. Overall I think the Atem is a good suit for this price range. Sure enough you can get suits that do the job just as well or have even more features at a lower price, but I'm a huge brand whore and I need to look cool even if I'm moving at a snail like pace on the track :lol.

Helmet: Arai RX7 Corsair $800
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_151615.jpg

Not really anything to say about this helmet that everybody doesn't already know. Top of the line from Arai. Extremely comfortable, well vented, best build quality bar none. I've had this helmet since the summer of 2009, and it's served me for 30,000km on the street and currently on its 2nd track season. I have 3 helmets all within the same price range as this thing but I keep coming back to the Corsair because it's just that damn good. The plan is to replace the Corsair with the AGV PistaGP or Corsa when the 2013 Rossi graphics come out near the end of the year... If the helmet is really as good as they say it is.

Gloves: Dainese Full Metal Pro $349
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_145919.jpg

I was hesitant to get these gloves because they're ridiculously expensive. However I've read horror stories about Alpinestars GP Pro's and the rate at which they deteriorate so I decided to just go balls deep and pull the trigger. I was so sad when I first got them because they were really stiff and hindered my wrist movement. But eventually they broke in and softened up and I never looked back. I crashed in these at turn 3 in Portland and the pinky finger mold/protector held my pinky in place, and prevented an almost certain fracture or sprain. Sweet gloves, but definitely expensive.

Boots: Alpinestars Supertech R $449
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_145713.jpg

Hands down the best boot money can buy. These make the Sidi Vortice ($495) feel like a POS. The Supertech R hugs onto every part of your foot while offering incredible ankle support without hindering movement and dexterity. I crashed in these in Portland as well and they held up wonderfully. A bit of a pain to put on especially if you wear Dainese leathers (because of the added shin guard in Dainese suits) but that's the case with any top tier race boot.

Spine Protector: Forcefield L2 Kevlar $149
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...519_151031.jpg

Much comfier and thinner than the hard spine protectors made by other manufacturers. The energy absorbent material is CE2 rated, and is better at absorbing and dispersing energy than pretty much anything else on the market right now. On top of that, the spine protector can be re-used due to its lack of a hard outter shell and won't break after a big crash.

gdoh 05-19-2013 04:04 PM

nice hover hand

Raid3n 05-21-2013 06:00 AM

So far i am really impressed by the striker, the size i got was a little big but overall not a problem really.

when you have the 2 huge arm vents plus the back vent open there is a lot of airflow in the jacket

and since the jacket has a waterproof/wicking membrane, the air fills the gaps in the jacket rather than just blowing on the skin immediately at the vent.

one thing i did notice that is kind of annoying is that when you're just wearing the jacket not riding, the membrane sticks to your arm haha.

i haven't tried it in the rain yet so i can't speak on it's wet riding performance, but i'm pretty pleased with it.

i got it for 180$, reg price on STG.com was 280.

i like the low profile collar on it and the material they used on the collar and the inside of the cuffs.

Sunfighter 05-23-2013 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shoei X-Twelve Reverb...

I am VERY picky with helmets... partly because of sizing, partly because it is the one thing that I do not want to cheap out on and partly because design is important to me... I always invested money in high-quality helmets for track days (cars) and snowboarding and riding was going to be no difference.

I LOVED the fit of the Shoei X-Twelve and while it was massively overkill (racing inspired/designed) the REVERB design is something I had been looking for for awhile (Union Jack and British colorway).... it retails for about $909... and most online places have it for about $899.99.... I found somewhere locally that had it on sale for $799.99... I had recently had a great experience just chatting with Jay at Burnaby Kawasaki... I fired him an email and asked if he could beat that price... he did in a big way and was able to get the helmet in the next day...! Great service and great price... very happy so far... now just rocking it around the house. :)

Eff-1 05-27-2013 09:03 PM

Picked up some new gloves over the weekend. They are made by a company called Five. Personally I never heard of them but when I tried them on, they were pretty comfy. Protection seems decent, full leather, gauntlet style, CF armor on the knuckles. But what I like most about them is the external stitching. So comfortable! My old technik gloves had massive seams along the inside of the gloves that would catch under my finger nail when clutching or braking and was not comfortable at all. $90 at Modern on Commercial (with one of their combo discounts after buying a few maintenance items at the same time).

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server16...06.800.800.JPG

gdoh 06-01-2013 10:47 AM

Dainese Norsorex Pants - RevZilla

http://images0.revzilla.com/product_...ess_detail.jpg

these pants are awesome for the people who like to wear jeans when they ride. The mesh design lets air flow easily. I bought these pants for the price and the protection it offers. for size I'm 5'10 175, bought a Large and they fit like a glove knee armor stays in place

got nothin bad to say about these pants. forgive me the shitty review I'm nursing a hang over =]

Features:
Knee protectors certified according to the standard EN 1621.1/97
Pro Shape and Crash AbsorbŪ paddings on the coccyx and thigh areas
Removable coccyx pad
Elasticated inserts in silicone rubber on the ankles
Perforated Pro-Shape
Breath-able Jersey material

maxxxboost 06-18-2013 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a pair of Knox Handroids not too long ago from STG. Paid approx $300 after all said and done.

I'd rate it a 7/10.

If you want a cool looking pair of gloves, these are it! However, i think for the price, you can pick up something that is of higher quality.

These gloves were made in China and while look pretty cool, they are not the best built pair of gloves. Don't get me wrong they will work and work well, but for that price, you're just paying for the "cool factor" and the new technology behind it. When i wear them, i can feel the extra fabric at the tip of my fingers. Furthermore, i can see the rough cuts of extra leather when i look inside the gloves. The stitching is not the best either which is kind of disappointing. I can see the leather and stitching stretch in some areas that make me wonder what will happen if i take a big spill.

These gloves fit like a US Large. I'm confident that a XL would have been too big and a Medium would have been too small. I've tried the Spidi Carbo Track XL and they fit me snug, but that's based on Euro sizing. So if you want these gloves, use the US fit sizing.

The features are great! The Boa lacing system works well but remember that any additional parts may break or malfunction (knock on wood). The palms are made of Kangaroo leather and the Knox palm and cuff sliders are a good addition. Lastly, the exoskeleton fingers are cool! but retracting them is not super smooth.

I can't judge on the comfort of these gloves yet. However, i can say that they need to be broken in. Because the knuckle section is pretty bulky and have no flex, i can feel them rub against my bone when i close my palm. But i think they will feel better after i break them in.

Hope this helps :)

Note: I don't know any stores in Vancouver that sells these gloves and i was just praying that these were what i wanted. So if anyone wants to try them on or see them in person before ordering, let me know.

racerman88 06-18-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 8238798)
Hmm id love to see what gear costs as someone looking to gear up shortly!

You can find some good deals on gear on craigslist as well.

Pheet 06-18-2013 11:22 PM

Anyone have the Alpinestars Jaws Perforated Leather Jacket? Really considering getting one as a first jacket along with a pair of Draggin' Jeans.

Gh0stRider 07-15-2013 01:23 PM

whos got saddlebags ?

was looking at firstgear bags. Firstgear
Firstgear
Firstgear

Gwilo 07-15-2013 05:53 PM

Knox Handroid Hand Armour

Local

Redline Gear - Authorized RS Taichi Dealer for Canada

Sunfighter 07-20-2013 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up getting the Icon Overlord long gloves... people make fun of me for the long gloves but frankly when it comes to safety I couldn't care less... that said, I am fighting the temptation to order the short version of this as a short-ride alternative in the summer... it is a pain to put on the large ones over my jacket... but those seconds shouldn't matter if I do fall...

Anyways, I LOVE these gloves specifically because the underside of the fingers/thumb and palm give SOOO much tactile feel... it's almost as if my own skin is in contact with the grips, etc... I'd tried a lot of cheaper gloves and they really NUMBED the feeling of the inputs.... I wanted all the feel I could get, especially as a new rider that is more prone to making mistakes....

Jay at Burnaby Kawasaki gave me an awesome deal on these.

I still don't know much about the brand itself but the quality of the glove seems very good.