REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Looking for info building box

I'm getting a new box built for my f250 and I've been running over different ideas, but Id like to hear what you guys have to say.

Current box is 2.8sqft with 2 alpine r 10inchers with dual 2inch wide slot ports tuned to 38hz. It sounds great, dont get me wrong but we built this box just to see what these subs like and dont like. (we ran a single port before hand tuned to 35hz)

I'm not all too "smart" when it comes to designing and tuning so my buddy is incharge of that department. I'm just trying to figure out whats best and he'll build it.

Will a larger box sound just as good as a smaller box? I am wanting a box around 6cu ft (because it will fill the space and not look stupid) with a slot port (L shape) that goes from driver to passenger side of the truck and tune it to 33hz. Since all 3 subs are dual 2+2 I will need to wire them to about 1.34 ohms if memory serves me correct. I am currently running a pdx1000.1 but I am switching to a exile 2500.1 within the next 2 months.

Did I write a question or statement? I just need to know is if what I am doing is right. I'm looking for the loudest design I can get out of 3 type r's. Ideas?? Just trying to get it built for fathers day car show. After that we're doing a revamp and switching to dual DC audio level 4 12's as I expect the alpines to blow first comp
Advertisement
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
girlcrazy_420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

6 cubes net would be loud but you will lose alot of your top end and will be bottom heavy, here is the numbers I got for 3 type r 10's.
Sd: 332cm^2
Amount of drivers: 3
Xmax: 20mm
Tuning: 33hz

Minimum Vent Diameter: 10.09in
Minimum Port Area: 79.96in^2

If you stay within range of the port area it should net your vent mach in the 12-16m/sec and will be loud.

On WiniSD
gramser57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #3

thanks. That information dosnt make any sense to me, so I passed it on to my builder and im awaiting a response.
LADIES!!! Tired of being alone? Going through too many batteries at bedtime? Would you like a "hand"?? Well, you're in luck!!! S.T.U.D.S IS HERE FOR YOU!!! We offer all types of services, from a basic lube, to the full service! S.T.U.D.S.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
The subs themselves, in their perfect environments, are not very musical from my experience. It has also been my experience to build the enclosure smaller than your 6 cubic feet would suggest. A ported enclosure should be about 1.2-1.3 cubic feet per sub plus port volume. The tuning is fairly low so port length will definitely play a big part.

The PDX 1.1000 will NOT play below 2 ohms in mono so don't even try. It will most likely just turn off. A 1 ohm stable amplifier will work no problem.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

My truck is a 1999 f250 (f150 body style) Extended cab. I've removed the rear seats for a starting point. I've got 2 sheets of 3/4 mdf to work with; what would you do yourself? What do you mean by tuning is fairly low. Any recomended specs and port length??
Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
I've got tons of ideas. You should come to the shop.
Posted via RS Mobile
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
I've got tons of ideas. You should come to the shop.
Posted via RS Mobile
Thanks bud, I would if I wasnt 4+ hours away