REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

New Spectrum Auto Glass and Tint Review -- BEWARE

Hi everyone. My names David and im not really into the import scene (I wanted an R32 and an EK as a kid but am in a domestic for now)
I got fucked by a shop today and just want to make sure you dont by these guys. Here is my story.

I needed a windshield for my car and took it to a shop on 86th and 128th street called new spectrum to get tint done and they said the could install a new windshield too for 255$. So i said okay and the window tint goes great, but the window install has been the biggest fucking surrey jack pain in the ass ever.

The guy doing the glass install is just some guy who does it for the shop and is an asshole who looks like a crackhead. He wont even let me see what he is doing while hes installing like its a big fucking secret and keeps telling me to wait up front. He finally finishes after like 4 fucking hours and then gives me instructions on what to do while the glass is setting ( keep the window cracked, dont slam the doors no car washing etc) But then he tells me i can take the masking tape off in 4-5 hours. Okay so i go home park the car and let it set for about 5 hours, then come out at 9pm and take the tape off and look at my new windshield happy, then go to bed. The next morning i wake up to a pressure crack starting at the block going all the way to the roof.

Im like okay whatever ill just take it back and sort this out. I take it back and the owner just sits around going "fuckkkk man what the fuck happened mannn ive neverrrr seeennn that shit in myyy lifeeee" for an hour and a half before even coming out to look at my car. He finally does look at it and i told him i followed all instructions and that i waited 5 hours before taking the tape off, and then tells me I was told to wait 24 hours for it too set. What the fuck. He then tells me to go to icbc and file a claim. I say why, because why should i pay my deductible when im not at fault. He says he will call me later. He calls me and says that he can install a new window for half price at 143$, and i say why should i pay half price? I didnt do anything to cause this. Your guy told me 5 hours, which both me and my friend heard him say. He then is on the phone with my friend and tells him the price will come out of the installers pocket and to come the next day at 11:30 am.

I go the next day and before going, took it to speedy glass and broco glass. They both looked at the window and said its a pressure crack from a faulty window. They also point out the messy urethane bead and urethane dripped all over my fucking dashboard. So i go to his shop and he tells me that his installer didnt say anything about 5 hours to me, and insisted both him and is installer told me 24 hours. Both me and my friend say that we didnt hear any of you say that, or else I WOULDNT HAVE TAKEN THE FUCKING TAPE OFF ON MY OWN FUCKING CAR IF IT WAS GOING TO FUCK IT UP, and tell him what i was told from broco and speedy. His installer starts getting all pissy and saying OH YOURE GONNA HAVE A PROBLEM IF YOU CALL ME A LIAR IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 30 YEARS BLAH BLAH BLAH. Yeah youve been doing backyard window installs for 30 years because you must be fucking excellent at them. Thats why theres urethane all over my fucking dash isnt it? I tell the owner "Look, i didnt do anything wrong here, you should warranty this" he says oh no you took the tape off blah blah blah. YOU TOLD ME TO TAKE THE FUCKING TAPE OFF. I told him im going to post this on all the forums i am on and then he goes off "OH DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT POSTING THIS YOURE GONNA HAVE A PROBLEM YOU WANT A PROBLEM?" The window installer starts taking my cowl off and then i tell him to stop touching my car.

I dont say one word else and get in, roll up my window, and drive off. Just an FYI broco and speedy take 2 hours to put a piece of glass in. At 3 hours its set and accident ready. New Spectrum lets people drive off with unset windows and tells them to leave the tape on while they drive around and not to hit any speed bumps sideways and lies to save some money. If you would have just admitted fault, i would have paid the 143$. Its not about the money, its the principle. I have a broco appointment tomorrow morning.
New Spectrum Auto Glass and Tint :: Canada :: Surrey :: Delta :: Vancouver :: Richmond :: Langley :: Burnaby :: Abbotsford :: Autoglass :: Automotive :: Repair :: Commercial :: Residential :: Security Film :: Removal :: Quality
Avoid them. Just another backyard dishonest business with a shop rental and an open sign.
Advertisement
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

should have told him just because hes been doing it for 30 years doesnt mean hes been doing it right.

good on you for standing up for yourself and thanks for the heads up.
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, yes and no.

Yeah, you stood up to a guy in his shop, but you still paid them and then had to pay them again.

If your friend is a witness to the conversation and all the instructions then to really show them, you need to small claims it.

Well, first, you make a formal request for your money back, they say no THEN you go to small claims.

Right now, he's saying fuck that guy.

And while you are getting the new windshield put in, you take full pictures of what you find and a letter from your expert witness at Speedy that says why the glass failed in the first place.

Go get him!
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
you should have titled your thread "New Spectrum Auto Glass and Tint Review" so it comes up in google search easier.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
^^^ this. Maybe a mod can change it for him
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Surrey problems
Posted via RS Mobile
dinamix is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #7

Thanks guys. Im on the phone with the BBB right now. Ive got the same replies from lots of people on different forums saying it doesnt matter if the tape was removed. And also that it is the window professionals responsibility to make sure the glass is installed properly, and letting unfinished product into the hands of a customer is the liability of the shop.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
you can take it small claims court. based on your side of the story, with photos plus the testimony from speedy and broco, this could be an open and shut case.

unless this was a cash deal, no receipt situation?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #9

Yep cash deal. Sigh. Im too trusting of people i guess. i always think that people in general are good, and i know they are. This guy will get whats coming to him.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
J89
RS controls my life!

Call me up if you need a mob, theres only one way to deal with Surrey Jacks
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
how was the tint job? how much did they charge? as it appears they got that much right.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
how was the tint job? how much did they charge? as it appears they got that much right.
$160 for 2 side windows 2 quarters and the rear window. Its about industry price. Its starting to bubble in the 3rd brake though. Sigh.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J89 View Post
Haha thanks bro buddy guyyy
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J89 View Post
Yup, get more Surrey jacks...ill call my cousins and shit yo
jus let me know
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

+1 I myself and many friends have been there for tint. His cost is cheap, but his service is absolutely trash. 4 hours is only minimum for the few times I've been there. For my first visit, I had my back three windows tinted and it wasnt bad. I came back to have my tail lights tinted which peeled off on its own within the three if not the second day it was on. He guarantees a lifetime warranty if your tint peels or bubbles, so I called him back and he told me the same thing happened to 4 other cars that he did and he would call me back in a week when he got new film. A week turned literally in to a year wait of getting them re done. In between the time he kept giving me bs excuses of why he couldn't get new film. I kept giving him a break because his daughter was a long time friend of mine. Once I finally had them re-done, it goes and rains and peels off again. I squeegeed the water out and heated up the film on my own and it held for a while, but is now back to peeling. The reason he no longer lets you watch the process, is because a customer slipped and fell so he likes to keep everyone in the waiting area. The problem is he takes too many smoke breaks and cracks too many cold shots with his workers and friends that drop by.
Posted via RS Mobile
yousername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #16

I agree. It took him an hour and a half just to get out of his office and look at my crack and even then he didnt really inspect the crack.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

i wont take my vehicles to anyone for tint other then street-legal..or my uncles friend who used to work for them for a few years does it at his house, both do really good work and warranty there stuff with no questions asked...to many shady shops who do bad work especially when they see someone younger walk in they like to take advantage.
no_pistons7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

shit i just booked an appt for tints with this guy..gonna cancel it now
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
this thread comes up 3rd in search when doing
"New Spectrum Auto Glass and Tint Revscene"

but not even in the first 5 pages when doing "New Spectrum Auto Glass and Tint"

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Thanks guys. Im on the phone with the BBB right now. Ive got the same replies from lots of people on different forums saying it doesnt matter if the tape was removed. And also that it is the window professionals responsibility to make sure the glass is installed properly, and letting unfinished product into the hands of a customer is the liability of the shop.
Yup shouldn't matter what time the tape came off. They put the windshield in the wrong spot, that's what made it crack.
VR6GTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Just another backyard dishonest business with a shop rental and an open sign.
A brick should take care of that open sign in the window realllll nice.

He's good at replacing glass, right? Ha ha..
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #22

Hahaha. A few people have suggested something along the lines of that. I got the new windshield in today and all is good. Im satisfied with knowing all of you, and other forums, wont be ripped off by this shop.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #23
I don't get it

thanks man. i cant believe no one has taken the username 'yourself' except you
a00755836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #24

Yes im yourself on all the forums i am joined too haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
how much did broco charge you?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote