REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #76
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
Yes its not ok to think thst your race is a superior race. That's what Hitler thought. That's what they thought in rwanda. Etc. Stop comparing people to cars. The fact that race is so important to you shows me you are insecure and hateful. People who lead happy fulfilling lives have better things to worry about than race. People who lose are those who think of their race as superior when they win and blame other races when they lose. Hence it is in fact sad to be you
Posted via RS Mobile
i actually don't really give much thought to race. what makes you think i'm consumed on the notion that i think chinese > all everyday?

ALL i'm just saying is. IF i were to be asked, which race > all? i would say chinese because i am chinese.

YOU guys are the ones who's panties are in a bunch. OHHHHHH HE DONT AGREE WITH MY VIEWS WEHHHH

the evident backlash from the people in this thread is a prime example of it
Advertisement
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #77
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
i think you are misinterpreting what the word "race" actually means...

if you look at the anthropological definition of the term race it is defined as the following:

Quote:
Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

source: Race | Define Race at Dictionary.com
ergo, the chinese people would be of the "mongoloid" race, alongside koreans, japanese, etc... (even though these classifications are no long utilized in popular scholarly literature i believe it still holds a grounding in the context that this discussion is occurring in) you could interchange the word "ethnic group" if you wish as it would be suitable in this context.

what you're trying to suggest is that the chinese "culture" is better than others, or that if you were to be proposed the question "which culture do you prefer" you would reply "i believe the chinese culture to be the best through my experience or connection to it...". something along those lines.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #78

sure if thats whats gonna calm down the RS Justice League aka Gridlock and his mistress mindbomber

next time i'll know to shut my mouth after i state my opinion... i'm not gonna even bother arguing against the Lords of Revscene
Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #79
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
sure if thats whats gonna calm down the RS Justice League aka Gridlock and his mistress mindbomber

next time i'll know to shut my mouth after i state my opinion... i'm not gonna even bother arguing against the Lords of Revscene
Quotting for the lawlz!

Drow - you are my hero. All you haterz gunna hate!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #80
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
Quote:

i don't think that there is an issue with you sharing your opinion.

by all means you should as everyones opinion contributes to a more productive discussion.

the caveat must be made that when you're talking about a touchy subject such as racism, politics or sexuality, you need to speak within a context where your opinion is projected in a thoughtful and objective way but still getting your point across.

atleast that way people may be able to concede a point or see things from your view rather than hurl monkey poo at you.

T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I just wanna say that I'm honored that you made mindbomber the girl.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I just wanna say that I'm honored that you made mindbomber the girl.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #83
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspirit View Post
really deciding if should move back to HK to work but I already have several friends who came back to Canada cuz they couldnt take 10-12 hr shifts stressful as shit =(
Not sure what kind of job you are referring? I work from 9-1, 2:30-6:30, regularly (sometimes 7:30pm) in the financial industry, that's 8-9 hr. It really depends on who do you work with.

Good luck if you are an accountant in Hong Kong, I have heard 13-14hrs a day and no overtime pay.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #84
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
i dont really put gwai lo's on a pedestal

in my eyes chinese > all

and who would put another race above your own
Should have stopped right there
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #85
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Lets throw more fuel to the fire:

Many Hong Kong immigrants return home

'Citizenship acquisition is key motivation' for people who move to Canada from Asia, says Simon Fraser University researcher

BY DOUGLAS TODD, VANCOUVER SUNMAY 18, 2013

Just like thousands of compatriots who came to Canada from Hong Kong, Edward Shen has returned home.

The psychologist, who earned a PhD at Simon Fraser University, went back to his bustling East Asian homeland for reasons both familial and professional.

He is far from alone. Hong Kong-born Chinese people made up the predominant group of newcomers to Canada and Metro Vancouver in the 1990s. But since then, they have been leaving by the thousands each year.

One reason is family. Shen, who is a friend of mine, was among the first wave of Hong Kong arrivals to Vancouver, touching down here in the late-1980s. He became deeply involved in the life of the city.

However, Shen felt compelled to return to Hong Kong several years ago, in part to care for his aging mother. He also fell in love with a woman who lived in Hong Kong.

Another reason many people from Hong Kong have been returning home is money. Even though Shen had a busy psychotherapy practice in Vancouver of mostly ethnic Chinese patients, he is earning just as much working fewer hours in Hong Kong.

Still, Shen says the most common reason many Hong Kong residents have returned to their homeland from Canada is they have obtained what they believe is the "safety" of a foreign passport.

Most Hong Kong residents immigrated to Canada in the decade before 1997, when the city of seven million residents officially became a "special administrative region" of the People's Republic of China.

After 1997, when emigrants recognized China's authoritarian regime was not imposing excessively Draconian restrictions on Hong Kong, many who had obtained Canadian passports began streaming back.

Statistics Canada's numbers tell the tale. Despite Canada's rapid population growth in the past 15 years, there are now 32,000 fewer Hong Kong-born residents in Canada than there were in 1996.

The 2011 National Household Survey, released last week, shows 209,000 Hong Kong-born residents in Canada (about one third of them living in Metro Vancouver). That compares to 241,000 who lived here in 1996.

Their total numbers in Canada have been dropping despite 1,000 to 2,000 new Hong Kong immigrants a year continuing to trickle in. Even accounting for deaths, it is clear that thousands of Hong Kong citizens each year have been leaving Canada.

Hong Kong now contains more than 350,000 residents holding Canadian citizenship, according to Vancouver lawyer Richard Kurland, editor-in-chief of Lexbase, a widely read publication on immigration policy.

The perspectives of Shen and Kurland are backed by scholarly studies.

Numerous studies for Metropolis, a federal government-funded immigration research body, report that many newcomers to Canada from Hong Kong (as well as from Taiwan and China) "never intended to stay."

The Metropolis papers reveal a large portion of ethnic Chinese immigrants talk about being in "immigration prison" while in Vancouver, Toronto and elsewhere - enduring the three-year residency required to obtain a Canadian passport.

Simon Fraser University researcher Nuowen Dang is among those who has found "citizenship acquisition is a key motivation" for people who move to Canada from Hong Kong.

That is true both for those who stay in Canada and those who return to Hong Kong, Dang writes. (It is true also of other East Asian immigrants, Dang added, including those from Taiwan and mainland China, the latter now being Canada's top immigrant source country.)

The main factors drawing thousands to return to Hong Kong, Dang writes, are "higher-paying jobs, greater job security, job promotion opportunities and family reunification."

And the outbound trend continues. "Many migrants," Dang says, "do not plan to stay in Canada but rather invest in themselves for later movement" from country to country."

Metropolis researchers Shi-bao Guo and Don DeVoretz found few ethnic Chinese people who departed from Canada "expressed regrets about leaving, suggesting that many of them had not intended to stay long-term."

Even though Shen is one immigrant who did have strongly mixed feelings about leaving Vancouver to return to Hong Kong, his story reveals the powerful pull of family and finances.

"(In Hong Kong) I am perhaps working about 60 to 70 per cent of what I was in Vancouver, but saving up more than I used to, given the much lower tax rate (17 per cent flat tax)," Shen wrote in an email.

"Most Hong Kong people know that there is no big money to be made in Canada, even less so in Vancouver. Vancouver in many people's eyes is a place for retirement of rich people, as they find the living standard in Vancouver very high. Which is true. People who want to make money choose Toronto over Vancouver."

Kurland, the immigration lawyer, agrees that many immigrants from Hong Kong "who go back are tired of the high cost of living, including housing prices." He adds that some "never fit in socially in Canada."

As well, Kurland emphasizes many people from Hong Kong, as well as other ethnic Chinese immigrants, tend to see Canada as an "insurance passport," a potential safe haven in case of crackdowns by the mainland Chinese government.

Echoing Shen, Kurland noted many Hong Kong returnees with Canadian passports are getting into the habit of visiting Vancouver from time to time, while harbouring hopes of eventually retiring here.

Many of Hong Kong's well-off, educated residents, Kurland says, typify a new "international class of citizens" who have dual passports and can afford to migrate around the world to enhance their lifestyle.

Some want to "relax for a couple of months in Vancouver" during the summer when Hong Kong is "horrifically" hot, Kurland said. And, appreciating the West Coast's clean air, some dream of peaceful retirement here.

There is a potential danger for Canada in these global migration movements, however. The most crucial worry is: What happens if the ongoing clash of political wills between mainland China and Hong Kong blows up?

Kurland warns that the huge contingent of expatriate Canadians in Hong Kong would cause expensive problems for Canadian governments if China imposes more human-rights restrictions on its dependent region.

That, Kurland says, could cause hundreds of thousands of Hong Kong residents with Canadian passports to suddenly flood back to this country - where they would be immediately eligible for health care, education and other taxpayer-funded benefits.

Something similar happened before to Canada. When Lebanon became embroiled in a war with Israel in 2006, more than 50,000 residents of that country held Canadian passports.

Many hadn't seen Canada in more than 20 years, Kurland says. But, since they had dual citizenship, we had an obligation to airlift thousands out of the war zone.

"They ended up having a Canadian vacation, paid for by Canadian tax dollars. And three months later, they were back in Lebanon," says Kurland, who frequently appears before House of Commons immigration committees.

Even though it will likely not be a military conflict that pressures Hong Kong residents back to this country, Kurland says Canada could still experience "a mass emergency crunch."

"If it goes badly between China and Hong Kong, you would see an extraordinary number of Hong Kong returnees" suddenly eligible for Canadian support services. "It's an economic vulnerability for the country."

Clearly, the issue of returnees to Hong Kong - to say nothing of all the immigrants who head home after obtaining a Canadian passport - has profound implications.

Not only for the returnees. But for the future social and economic well-being of Canada.

As Kurland says, "The Hong Kong story is not over."

dtodd@vancouversun.com Blog: vancouversun.com/thesearch

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Many Hong Kong immigrants return home

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Not sure what kind of job you are referring? I work from 9-1, 2:30-6:30, regularly (sometimes 7:30pm) in the financial industry, that's 8-9 hr. It really depends on who do you work with.

Good luck if you are an accountant in Hong Kong, I have heard 13-14hrs a day and no overtime pay.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #86
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ It's been happening for at least 5 years now. The Mainland Chinese are doing the same.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #87
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_miata View Post
I disagree!! I lived in Hong Kong for most of my life before moving to Vancouver (16 to be exact) and personally I find that people there are much less racist than those over here. Firstly I can tell you that I have a much more culturally diverse group of friends in Hong Kong than I do over here. I rarely hear anyone using terms such as "white trash" "Fobs" "Surrey jacks" or equivalent terms, compared to people here. In fact, the only group of people Hong Kongers discriminate is probably mainlanders, but that is not without reason. I have often seen and heard of accounts where some mainlanders taking a leak on the streets, or even holding their kids above the rubbish bins to take a dump. The worst part is, the public toilets were RIGHT BEHIND them.

Then again I can only speak for myself and the group of people around me. All I'm trying to say is that that statistic doesn't speak for all of us, and that people from any part of the world can be equally as racist or receptive of different culture and/or races.
just read this thread now. yesterday I was at new brighton park, swimming in the pool with my gf. we went out to get some fish and chips, and from the concession, 30 feet to your left are public restrooms, and inside the concession owners driveway(aprox 15 ft to the right of the concession) was an Asian lady letting her child (maybe 4 years old) squat down and piss...she just smiled at me and nodded while I looked in disgust. told the lady who runs the concession, she ran out and reamed the bitch out and kicked her family out of the park.
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #88
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
^ur right, ppl here do throw around racist terms and hold racist stereotypes like it's nothing
Posted via RS Mobile
Because thats what it is. Just words, stereotypes only exists because they're true, to an extent. Racism will never go away. We as a human race feel obliged to let everyone know what we think of each other, good or not.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #89
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
just read this thread now. yesterday I was at new brighton park, swimming in the pool with my gf. we went out to get some fish and chips, and from the concession, 30 feet to your left are public restrooms, and inside the concession owners driveway(aprox 15 ft to the right of the concession) was an Asian lady letting her child (maybe 4 years old) squat down and piss...she just smiled at me and nodded while I looked in disgust. told the lady who runs the concession, she ran out and reamed the bitch out and kicked her family out of the park.
I have heard an anecdote from Mainland China.

A guy drives up in a new Rolls Royce, pulls his son out of the car and lets him defecate on the sidewalk. He quickly wipes the son, puts him back in the car and drives off. Didn't even pick up after him.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #90
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,062 Times in 1,249 Posts
A phd in psychology allows you to analyze political events.

I have triple citizenship and the possibility to get another. Come at me

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 05-20-2013 at 11:29 AM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodmack View Post
Because thats what it is. Just words, stereotypes only exists because they're true, to an extent. Racism will never go away. We as a human race feel obliged to let everyone know what we think of each other, good or not.
finally. someone who wont get their period over "words"

was actually surprised from the backlash of the Lords of Revscene when i made the posts

i mean... im not committing genocide on a race....jeez

CHILL OUT
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #92
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post

A guy drives up in a new Rolls Royce, pulls his son out of the car and lets him defecate on the sidewalk. He quickly wipes the son, puts him back in the car and drives off. Didn't even pick up after him.

I even pick up after my dog, can't pick up after your baby...
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #93
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,212 Times in 1,397 Posts
I didn't check this thread for a couple days. Let's just say some interesting lulz has been had.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I didn't check this thread for a couple days. Let's just say some interesting lulz has been had.
u dont seek me out no more
Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #95
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Reply to the original post.

The Cartography of Bullshit ? Africa is a Country

Spoiler!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #96
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

State point.

Re-state point.

Re-state point.

Re-state point.

Ad hominem.

You're a clever one, eh?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #97
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post

mainlanders
AW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #98
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
INDIA #1 !
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #99
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
not gonna lie, this excites me a little.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #100
I don't get it

Remember that 20 years ago they were living on farms, like their ancestors before them stretching back centuries. Or maybe their parents were intellectuals and had to be re-educated. Now they're making millions of dollars, but still have that rural mentality. In rural China, there are no toilets or sewer systems of any kind, so when you have to go you have to go. It is highly frowned upon when adults do it.

When the little boy defecating on the sidewalk has children of his own, he will make sure they don't continue the tradition. I hope.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote