REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Grinding Teeth (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684498-grinding-teeth.html)

sh0n 05-25-2013 01:08 PM

Grinding Teeth

Anyone have problems with grinding their teeth at night when they sleep?

I have been told that I grind my teeth every night and recently I have noticed that canine tooth (3rd from the middle top) is seriously grinded down causing front tooth ache and grinding down as well.

Anyone with this problem and what did you do to get it fixed?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

meme405 05-25-2013 01:46 PM

I had a mouth guard I had to wear at night when I had braces (a long time ago). This weas caused by the bands in the braces which pulled my teeth together.

I guess you can get something like that made. (it was really comfortable). Not annoying at all.

dinosaur 05-25-2013 01:58 PM

Bf grinds his teeth at night....the sound is intense! first time i heard it, it freaked the shit out of me! i don't know how someone can do that in their sleep and not notice, lol!

as other dude pointed out, you can get a mouth guard. visit your dentist and they will make a mould of your teeth to make sure it fits properly.

it is a pretty common issue that can lead to problems in the future (enamel wear, TMJ, headaches, neck pain, etc.). its probably best to deal with it soon than later.

Kidnapman 05-25-2013 02:54 PM

I hear this is caused from stress. Runs in my family as well. Never really considered this a problem but I guess I'll try out mouth guards too.

knight604 05-25-2013 03:29 PM

Stop the molly.

strykn 05-25-2013 04:50 PM

yup i grind a lot, even during working out. grab a mouth guard from sports check

sh0n 05-25-2013 08:45 PM

Does anyone know if getting braces will fix the sleep teeth grinding?

My teeth are somewhat straight with a small over bite.

Anyone with the experience that can chim in would be great.

I have heard about the mouth guard but debating that or braces.

Alby 05-25-2013 10:59 PM

my wife has been grinding her teeth since the first day i've known her. her teeth is pretty much flat now due to all the grinding. dentist suggests a mouth guard to protect them from further grinding. not sure if braces will fix the problem.

dinosaur 05-26-2013 09:42 AM

why would you choose expensive painful semi-permanent braces over a cheap removable guard?

Mr.HappySilp 05-26-2013 10:06 AM

I grind my teeth at night too. Not all the time just when I am really tired or stress out, getting a mouth gurnard from my dentist because is not part of the insurance so I might just get a mouth guard from sports shock.

Spidey 05-26-2013 10:10 AM

why would getting braces prevent you from clenching/grinding involuntarily while you are sleeping? I am sorry, I might be in a bad mood today from reading all of Charles in Charges post in another thread, but seriously, think about it.

Secondly, wouldn't visiting a dentist be the most reasonable option to get the right answers? The fact that your canine has gotten this bad without you knowing until now, means that you probably don't visit a dentist regularly either.

sh0n 05-26-2013 10:21 AM

As some background info.

I already visited a dentist in the past and they suggested to get braces to align my teeth which "may" help against the teeth grinding in the future.

Getting a mouth guard is temporary solution as regardless, people who grind their teeth, will grind their teeth due to being tired, stress, hereditary, if their teeth is not aligned properly, etc...

Thought I would share my experience and also hear any one that has experienced the same issue.

dinosaur 05-26-2013 01:28 PM

Umm...you don't really "cure" yourself from grinding your teeth. Either you do it, or your don't.

The reason people purchase a guard is to prevent damage to the enamel and help jaw pain, headache, toothache, etc. I have never heard of people subconsciously grinding their teeth because of an alignment issue.

You may want a second opinion....braces would be the LAST consideration, imo.

Spidey 05-26-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 8246389)
Umm...you don't really "cure" yourself from grinding your teeth. Either you do it, or your don't.

The reason people purchase a guard is to prevent damage to the enamel and help jaw pain, headache, toothache, etc. I have never heard of people subconsciously grinding their teeth because of an alignment issue.

You may want a second opinion....braces would be the LAST consideration, imo.

If he is able to figure out what is the stress behind is grinding, and why he is suppressing it (if stress is the reason), he may be able to minimize the grinding.. From the people I know who grind their teeth they are all either

- women or
- males who do not express their feelings/anger and suppress it (and it is most likely coming out when they are sleeping by way of bruxism)

As for alignment issues, if your teeth are aligned "properly", I would only imagine your molars being grinded down, rather than your canines.... He may be trying to get some extra $$ for getting you to get orthodontic treatment.

racerman88 05-26-2013 08:48 PM

My dentist made a night guard for me to wear when I sleep.
If you don't have extended health, there was that commercial for a night guard to prevent grinding. It looks like a regular mouth guard. Worth a try since it is not expensive. See if the As Seen on tv store has it or not.

Mr.HappySilp 05-28-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 8246716)
My dentist made a night guard for me to wear when I sleep.
If you don't have extended health, there was that commercial for a night guard to prevent grinding. It looks like a regular mouth guard. Worth a try since it is not expensive. See if the As Seen on tv store has it or not.

Got a mouth guard from London drugs for about $39 plus tax. Try to use it last night but is not as comfy as I though........ maybe I am just not use to it.

G 05-28-2013 08:44 AM

When you get braces it will fix your alignment of your teeth and your overbite/underbite etc. Once you finish with your braces, you will be required to wear a retainer at night just to ensure that the teeth do not shift back.

If you have grinding teeth and also need to wear a retainer, then getting whats called a nightguard is beneficial. The nightguard pretty much functions as a retainer would while also preventing your teeth from getting grinded out during the night. It can be custom fitted by your dentist and is usually covered by insurance etc.

Grinding of teeth doesn't really have a causation, some people do it, some people don't kind of like sleep talking etc etc. The bad thing about it is that usually if you grind your teeth, it will wear out your teeth as well as burden your jaw. The more you do it, the more mornings you will have where your jaw feels sore as fuck and i'm sure there is a long term problem.

You can try to find over the counter night mouth guards or get custom fitted ones by your doc. If you need more answers just search up shit like: Bruxism, Night Guard, and other shit on Google.

spicyginger 06-20-2013 12:48 PM

Posted via RS Mobile

quasi 06-20-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sh0n (Post 8245993)
Does anyone know if getting braces will fix the sleep teeth grinding?

My teeth are somewhat straight with a small over bite.

Anyone with the experience that can chim in would be great.

I have heard about the mouth guard but debating that or braces.

You'll still grind, braces aren't going to fix that. I grind, it has nothing to do with the structure of my teeth it's just something I do when sleeping like some people snore, other people talk in there sleep, others sleep walk.

A mouth guard is the way to go but I'm a hipocrit because I have multiple custom made ones and I seldom wear the fucking things. Long term effect I've broken teeth had to have root canals and crowns because of it and my teeth are far more worn then they should be for my age. Think about that, I've broken a tooth in fucking half well I sleep don't think braces are going to solve that not to mention my teeth are super straight.

stewie 06-20-2013 09:32 PM

i should invest in a night guard....I should get the mouth guard thing that pushes your bottom jaw forward a tad bit so you cant snore....kill 2 birds with one stone lol. im sure the gf would love that haha

Ferra 06-21-2013 08:41 AM

FYI...you can get one of those mouldable mouth guard from Walmart or Shoppers for $35..

My GF has a custom mouth guard made by her dentist and cost $350+...I got mine from Walmart for $35 and it works just as well....
(only diff is mine is like a soft gel type of materials and it starts breaking down after 2-3 years, while her's is like hard plastic and it still looks okay after 4-5 years)

Phozy 06-21-2013 07:21 PM

Got a custom mouth guard a while back. I wore it the first couple nights, but eventually it became such a hassle, and didn't feel normal i stopped wearing it.

I would wake up in the middle of the night, just to take it off.

racerman88 06-23-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8247737)
Got a mouth guard from London drugs for about $39 plus tax. Try to use it last night but is not as comfy as I though........ maybe I am just not use to it.

If it was a sports mouth guard, it was not meant to prevent snoring.
You can try the mouth guard

You can try this one on sale from Dealticker. It's the same one in the infomercial.

DealTicker: Vancouver daily deals. $19 for a “Stop Snoring Tonight” – Breathe-Easy Mouthpiece! – Taxes and Shipping Included ($59 Value) - DealTicker.com