REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

This past federal election I didn't vote as I was too uninformed on each party's respective campaign initiatives. That being said, I've found that, as of late, the NDP have appeared to be my choice for the next federal party; majority or otherwise. There's been so many shady actions going on with Harper and the Conservative Party these days.

If only Layton was still around..
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
I know a lot of people here on RS like Layton, and I agree that he is a very charismatic leader. At the same time, while I respect his enthusiasm and dedication, I also despise the man for his scheming and opportunistic ways.

With the first 2 minority Conservative government under Harper, especially, Layton and the NDP was the key minority player that often propped up the Conservatives. As the king maker party, Layton was especially good at leveraging whatever schemes and benefits he could reap off Harper. At the same time, if you remember the government proroguing and vote of no confidence fiasco, you could just see how Layton was always looking for opportunities to scheme up something for his and his party's own good. And for that, I despise him.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #28
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
that's what parties and leaders do... what you described just shows he was a good leader, negotiate, leverage, take advantage of a situation to support your cause and supporters and he did it without detriment to the country A+
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #29

It depends on how you look at it. You could argue that he was leveraging the situation and trying to get the most out of what he can get for his supporters, and at times, you are completely correct. At the same time, I found that a lot of times Layton wasn't really following the NDP political spectrum. Instead, he was merely doing what he can to milk the most out of the situation. The parliament proroguing fiasco in particular left a really bad taste of Layton and the Liberals in my mouth. The fiasco was not for the benefits of their cause or supporters -- it was all for their selfish personal gains.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
Smoothie and dynamix's attitude is a partial reason why politics at all three levels of government is so toxic in this country. Voters want soundbites and catchy slogans, and don't want to spend the time researching the over-arching issues. I blame the creeping Americanization in Canada-we are bombared by US style 24-hour news cycles that facilitate "Coles Notes Campaigns".

On a side note, apparently the Koch Brothers bankrolled these robocalls. They are known for financing the campaigns of batshit insane right wing politicians in the US.
I'm never have to voted in my life and I never will. As much we love argue over politics it's a no win situation. Working class/middle class votes or opinions doesn't mean shit.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
I'm never have to voted in my life and I never will. As much we love argue over politics it's a no win situation. Working class/middle class votes or opinions doesn't mean shit.
Do you want to try that again in English?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #32
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Oh, is it time already to elect Ahmadinejad to another term, or are the unelected clerics putting a new face up as the sole name on the ballot?
dammit when i read this the clip from the dictator came to mind

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I know a lot of people here on RS like Layton, and I agree that he is a very charismatic leader. At the same time, while I respect his enthusiasm and dedication, I also despise the man for his scheming and opportunistic ways.

With the first 2 minority Conservative government under Harper, especially, Layton and the NDP was the key minority player that often propped up the Conservatives. As the king maker party, Layton was especially good at leveraging whatever schemes and benefits he could reap off Harper. At the same time, if you remember the government proroguing and vote of no confidence fiasco, you could just see how Layton was always looking for opportunities to scheme up something for his and his party's own good. And for that, I despise him.
It's called politics.

Think about it...in a minority government situation you have two options(well 3, I'll get to that)

Vote with the government and they stay in power, or vote them down and an election is called.

Usually, the parties will talk shit about each other, but end up supporting a government until enough time has passed since the last election that a) we aren't going to the polls every 6 months wasting big money and getting annoyed and b) there has been some change some where that is going to get them more seats.

Why have an election if the same thing is going to happen? It's a waste. You risk losing what you have!

So, in the NDP's 'greatest hits' column, is some of what they've accomplished during minority governments. Why?

It's simple. They've never been in power. So, to get a taste for what they can do, they horse trade for it. Then, they can go around and say, "we did this, in this situation"

That's not being power hungry assholes..that's making a lot of fucking sense! And I don't like the NDP.

Highlights of what they've done: Petro-Canada..I don't know why, but that was what they wanted from Trudeau in the 70's.

From the liberals in the 2000's:
Quote:
the House of Commons voted for second reading on major NDP amendments to the federal budget, preempting about $4.5 billion in corporate tax cuts and funding social, educational and environmental programs instead.[18] Both NDP supporters and Conservative opponents of the measures branded it Canada's first "NDP budget". In late June, the amendments passed final reading and many political pundits concluded that the NDP had gained credibility and clout on the national scene.
They achieved their epic wins in the last election precisely because of the work they did with the minority governments. They got their name out there.

Dislike the NDP all you want(hell I do) but dislike them for the right reasons...namely, they want to tax work, and reward non-work.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #34

I know it's called politics. At the same time, I disagree with all the BS reasons that the NDP, the Liberals, and the Bloc Quebecois were tossing out at the time of the 2008 parliament prorogation fiasco. Those guys (the Liberals, especially) fxxking lost the election, but they still wanted to cry foul after losing. Had they really wanted to run the government as a coalition with the NDP, the campaigning platform should have included that possibility. The way the Canadian government has always operated was that the largest party forms a minority government, not for other parties to form a governing coalition. Those Liberals and NDP losers were just exactly that -- acting like a bunch of power hungry sore losers looking for whatever ways and loopholes to bend the rules for their own gains.

I have no problem with parties forming a governing coalition if the election was being campaigned as such. But given the history of Canadian elections (esp at the federal level), governing coalition was not the norm, and voters were all expecting to see either a majority or minority government after their votes, so they were casting their ballots with the expectation of a single governing party.

Essentially, it boils down to false advertising. If a product was being advertised as "A", you expect to get "A" when you pay for it. For some guy to claim that "B" is really what is being sold because of some loop hole is just not right. Had you told me "B" was really the product being sold, I might have been willing to consider it.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #35
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
I'm sick of the shit the conservatives and liberals have been doing and will be voting green in the next election. Greens are the one party who haven't had a chance in office and all the 3 that have has had some sort of corruption so I think it's time for them to get a chance and show us what they can do to better our country and environment
Posted via RS Mobile
The Green Party has zero chance. Why? Because when it comes down to it, the majority of people care more about economics than the environment...which is why the Liberals are still in power in BC.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The Green Party has zero chance. Why? Because when it comes down to it, the majority of people care more about economics than the environment...which is why the Liberals are still in power in BC.
Yes, but that's not really why the liberals are still in power in BC.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ I still personally believe that a fair portion of voters "know they wouldn't vote conservative", but aren't well enough informed to make an educated vote between the number of "left wing" parties.

This is why I wish ad campaigns were less slanderous toward the opposing parties, and focused more on educating everyone on what really matters; politics.
Posted via RS Mobile
yogenfruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #38
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,381 Times in 3,463 Posts
If you are thinking of voting Lib/NDP/Green because you want the cons out look at this site: (Pair) Vote Swap