REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Court Decides that Canada’s 2011 Elections Were Fraudulent (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684585-court-decides-canada%92s-2011-elections-were-fraudulent.html)

Traum 05-28-2013 12:52 PM

Court Decides that Canada’s 2011 Elections Were Fraudulent

Electoral fraud did take place in 2011 federal vote, judge rules | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

Quote:

Electoral fraud occurred during the last federal election, a federal court judge ruled on Thursday, but there is no proof that it affected the outcomes in six ridings at issue, so the elections will not be overturned.

The court challenge was brought by the Council of Canadians, which sought to overturn the election of six Conservative MPs who won close ridings where there was evidence that someone tried to affect the results by calling opposition supporters and telling them their polling stations had moved.

Federal Court Judge Richard Mosley ruled that the calls “struck at the integrity of the electoral process by attempting to dissuade voters from casting ballots for their preferred candidates. This form of ‘voter suppression,’ was, until the 41st General Election, largely unknown in this country.”

The evidence points to “a concerted campaign by persons who had access to a database of voter information maintained by a political party,” Mosley writes, but says there was no allegation that any of the candidates in the six ridings were responsible for the campaign.

“I find that electoral fraud occurred during the 41st General Election but I am not satisfied that it has been established that the fraud affected the outcomes in the subject ridings and I decline to exercise my discretion to annul the results in those districts.”

The decision fails to give the Council of Canadians the result it sought, but may pose a political problem for the Conservatives, who have steadfastly rejected any suggestion that the party mounted a voter suppression campaign beyond the infamous “Pierre Poutine” robocall in Guelph, Ont., which the party has blamed on rogue elements.

Mosley does not conclude that the party was involved, but does say the evidence points to the use of the party’s database.

“In reaching this conclusion, I make no finding that the Conservative Party of Canada or any CPC candidates or RMG and RackNine Inc., were directly involved in any campaign to mislead voters,” he ruled.

“I am satisfied, however, that the most likely source of the information used to make the misleading calls was the CIMS database maintained and controlled by the CPC, accessed for that purpose by a person or persons currently unknown to this court.”

Maude Barlow, national chair of the Council of Canadians, said the decision “should disturb Canadians a lot.”

She said her organization welcomed Mosley’s findings as “a very good decision.”

The finding of fraud, she said, is stated “clearly and boldly.”

Barlow said while she was disappointed Mosley didn’t overturn the results, the felt the larger finding of fraud was more important than the results in six seats.

“We feel this is a very powerful statement and are pleased that the decision has come forward this way,” she said.

“We would, of course, liked to have the individual ridings overturned, but I think the much more important point is the finding of fraud.”

Barlow said she didn’t think anyone could try to subvert an election using robocalls again.

“I think it would be much harder.”

She said it would be up to the applicants in the six cases whether to launch an appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada after Mosley’s decision.

Barlow said her organization has already spent “hundreds of thousands” on the court case, much of it from money raised through an online fundraising campaign.

Their legal fees were increased, Barlow said, by the repeated attempts by the Conservative MPs to derail the legal proceedings through a series of motions to dismiss the case.

The judge had harsh words for the tactics the Conservatives used in fighting the case.

The Conservative party’s lawyer, Arthur Hamilton, sought to have the case thrown out several times, relying on an argument that the council was engaged in “champerty and maintenance,” an ancient legal principle that prevents vexatious lawsuits by people who have no legitimate interest in a case.

Mosley ruled that “there is no evidence that the applicants acted for any reason other than to assert their rights to a fair election as Canadian citizens and electors.”

Mosley had harsh words for the legal tactics employed by the Conservatives during the case, saying they indulged in “trench warfare in an effort to prevent this case from coming to a hearing on the merits” while the council sought “the high ground of promoting the integrity of the electoral process.”

The judge pointed out that the Conservatives “made little effort to assist with the investigation despite early requests,” and noted that Hamilton was notified during the election that improper calls were being made.

Mosley rejected repeated Conservative personal attacks on pollster Frank Graves, stating that they “added nothing of value to the record before the court.”

A telephone survey by Graves, which found many opposition supporters reported receiving fraudulent calls, was at the heart of the council’s case, but Mosley found it did not “provide firm ground on which the court could have confidence in finding that the fraud affected the results in any of the six ridings.”

Mosley found that Elections Canada’s evidence showed the voter suppression effort was “geographically widespread but, apart from Guelph, thinly scattered” and did not have a “major impact on the credibility of the vote.”

The council and the Conservatives faced off in court in Ottawa for five days in December.

Conservative party spokesman Fred DeLorey said that “there was no wrongdoing by the Conservative Party or any of the candidates or campaign teams targeted by these applications and the court noted that not a single voter was produced to testify that they were prevented from voting due to alleged voter suppression.”

He also took a shot at the challenge, calling it a “transparent attempt to overturn certified election results simply because this activist group didn’t like them.”
Not sure how I missed this one last week, but this alone is a compelling enough reason for me to not vote for the Conservatives in the next federal election.

saucywoman 05-28-2013 01:01 PM

I'm sick of the shit the conservatives and liberals have been doing and will be voting green in the next election. Greens are the one party who haven't had a chance in office and all the 3 that have has had some sort of corruption so I think it's time for them to get a chance and show us what they can do to better our country and environment
Posted via RS Mobile

Sid Vicious 05-28-2013 01:04 PM

everything about harper screams george bush v2.0

Manic! 05-28-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8247908)
I'm sick of the shit the conservatives and liberals have been doing and will be voting green in the next election. Greens are the one party who haven't had a chance in office and all the 3 that have has had some sort of corruption so I think it's time for them to get a chance and show us what they can do to better our country and environment
Posted via RS Mobile

Greens have absolutely no change of winning.

saucywoman 05-28-2013 01:45 PM

That's fine. I've voted liberal or conservative the last 10 years and I'm sick of their corruption so gonna start voting green
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 05-28-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8247931)
That's fine. I've voted liberal or conservative the last 10 years and I'm sick of their corruption so gonna start voting green
Posted via RS Mobile

Why not NDP?

shawnly1000 05-28-2013 01:50 PM

inb4 CIC comments

Traum 05-28-2013 01:54 PM

With the Conservatives being fraudulent crooks, and the Liberals being the inept dumba$$es that they are, does it mean the federal NDP is gonna have a chance at the PM crown at all? If Layton was still here, I suspect they just might. But with him resting in peace, I really don't know how things are gonna play out for the federal NDP.

CRS 05-28-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8247939)
With the Conservatives being fraudulent crooks, and the Liberals being the inept dumba$$es that they are, does it mean the federal NDP is gonna have a chance at the PM crown at all? If Layton was still here, I suspect they just might. But with him resting in peace, I really don't know how things are gonna play out for the federal NDP.

Liberals are probably going to make a strong push along with the NDP whereas the CPC will likely lose seats.

dinamix 05-28-2013 02:30 PM

Tldr
Posted via RS Mobile

Gridlock 05-28-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinamix (Post 8247968)
Tldr
Posted via RS Mobile

TL;DR?

This is important shit that strikes at the heart of your country's democracy and you should pull your naive head out of your ass and pay attention.

smoothie. 05-28-2013 03:10 PM

Tldr for me also.

Cliff notes?
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 05-28-2013 03:15 PM

The Conservative appointed CSIS watchdog head has been arrested, he went on the lam before charges of fraud were brought forth regarding a billion + dollar health centre deal; Harper insists his position as our spy agencies watchdog didn't come into play -_-

Former CSIS watchdog boss arrested on fraud charges | News1130

El Bastardo 05-28-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8247931)
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinamix (Post 8247968)
Tldr
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 8247996)
Tldr for me also.

Cliff notes?
Posted via RS Mobile

tl;dr - Saucy is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

smoothie. 05-28-2013 04:47 PM

:lawl: no time to read all that shit at work

Fuckin sauce woman
Posted via RS Mobile

CharlesInCharge 05-28-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 8247936)
inb4 CIC comments

In before Harper government criticizes Iranian June 14 elections.

saucywoman 05-28-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8247935)
Why not NDP?

Look at the corruption they caused and the piece of work they did to Canada.

El bastards and smoothie you're both cruising for a ban
Posted via RS Mobile

too_slow 05-28-2013 05:42 PM

I want in on the ban wagon too. Lawlssss
Posted via RS Mobile

dinosaur 05-28-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8248096)
[/i][/size]

I think you are thinking about BC.....fed NDP is a little different and have never been in power federally.

wreck 05-28-2013 05:43 PM

Ironic, democratic thread with dictatoring threats
Posted via RS Mobile

BurnoutBinLaden 05-28-2013 06:01 PM

Smoothie and dynamix's attitude is a partial reason why politics at all three levels of government is so toxic in this country. Voters want soundbites and catchy slogans, and don't want to spend the time researching the over-arching issues. I blame the creeping Americanization in Canada-we are bombared by US style 24-hour news cycles that facilitate "Coles Notes Campaigns".

On a side note, apparently the Koch Brothers bankrolled these robocalls. They are known for financing the campaigns of batshit insane right wing politicians in the US.

Gridlock 05-28-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8248093)
In before Harper government criticizes Iranian June 14 elections.

Oh, is it time already to elect Ahmadinejad to another term, or are the unelected clerics putting a new face up as the sole name on the ballot?

Gridlock 05-28-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden (Post 8248135)
Smoothie and dynamix's attitude is a partial reason why politics at all three levels of government is so toxic in this country. Voters want soundbites and catchy slogans, and don't want to spend the time researching the over-arching issues. I blame the creeping Americanization in Canada-we are bombared by US style 24-hour news cycles that facilitate "Coles Notes Campaigns".

On a side note, apparently the Koch Brothers bankrolled these robocalls. They are known for financing the campaigns of batshit insane right wing politicians in the US.

Beyond that, there have been a lot of changes to the parties that doing the same old thing may not apply.

Conservatives? Really the reform party, absorbed the PC party and dropped the progressive...which is a HUGE difference. They promise nothing progressive in their policy, and are starting to show it.

NDP? Huge fundamental shift in what they are preaching in order to go more mainstream. Their fundamentalists are either gone, or being muzzled but their platform has suddenly gained a huge Quebec focus

Liberals I think are responding to those changes by losing themselves and their identity.

Bloc...dead? Not sure.

Green...never was.

So, if you are used to voting for the same old thing year after year, you may find that the same old thing isn't what it used to be.

StylinRed 05-28-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 8248150)
Oh, is it time already to elect Ahmadinejad to another term, or are the unelected clerics putting a new face up as the sole name on the ballot?

it's not like that at all for iran the clerics backed him initially and never again since, hence the uprisings we saw years ago (and the reasoning why the us didn't officially assist because the opposition was a cleric supporter) Ahmadinejad is said to actually not be a supporter of the clerics and has tried going against them as much as possible (whenever he made a crazy statement its believed he did that to placate the hardliners) not sure what's happened since the uprising those years ago maybe he fell back in line (most likely)

StylinRed 05-28-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8248096)

Posted via RS Mobile

pardon?