REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
West Vancouver considers allowing coach houses

Quote:
West Vancouver is exploring whether to allow coach houses on single family lots to improve housing affordability and to increase the variety of housing available.

Stephen Mikicich, a West Vancouver community planner, said this “gentler form of densification” could add options to an area that has many single family homes and a few apartments, but very little in between.

Coach houses are smaller houses that share a common property with a main house on a single-family lot. Sometimes they are accessed via a laneway — in Vancouver, for example — but they can also be accessed via a common driveway or be built on top of a garage.

“We have a community that is aging, that needs different housing options. We have younger families who are having difficulty establishing themselves or remaining in West Vancouver because of the cost of housing,” Mikicich said. “At the same time, it’s a community that highly values the established character of its neighbourhoods.”

West Vancouver residents’ median age was 50 in 2011, compared to 40 in Metro Vancouver, and one-quarter of residents were age 65 or older in 2011, compared to 13 per cent in Metro Vancouver, a discussion paper on coach houses prepared by West Vancouver states.

“We’ve had ongoing community interest in the concept of coach houses — older people wanting to remain in their community, when a multi-level house no longer works, but if they could build a single-level house in their backyard and rent out their house or have their kids live in it, it may work,” Mikicich said.

“We legalized secondary suites a couple of years ago, but not everyone wants to have a suite in the house and it’s difficult to add one later.”

While many Lower Mainland cities now allow these types of houses, most communities allow them as rentals only. Mikicich said the discussion in West Vancouver will include whether they should do the same, or allow strata titles to be created.

On Wednesday evening, a panel was scheduled to discuss the idea, including Jake Fry, owner of Smallworks, which builds laneway and coach houses, and other interested individuals.

Fry said allowing infill housing would be a way to “mitigate the monster home” and encourage more families in neighbourhoods that are today full of single-family homes occupied by a lone senior citizen.

“There are no new people — the single-family model is extremely difficult for people to get in. I think it’s one way to make home ownership possible for people,” Fry said. “You may have more roofs per acre, but they’re going to be smaller roofs. They’ll probably even have less square footage per city lot, but there’s going to be more families and you’ll see the ... communities become much more dynamic.”

Read more: West Vancouver considers allowing coach houses
West Vancouver considers allowing coach houses
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a spot for a car in that picture though. So is this different than the ones we have in Vancouver? Because the Vancouver one's I saw all had a spot for a car.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
not gonna work.

still going to be a million+ for a place in west van.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
Wasn't really sold on this idea before but I've walked through east van looking at some of the new ones and they are very nice! Not for me but a nice little mortgage helper, not like west van residents would need it
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Just what I want when I put down several million on some prime real estate in West Van...a mortgage helper in the backyard.

I can see it for a nanny suite, or inlaw suite, but to hell if I want my neighbors renting this shit out to randoms.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Wrong neighbourhood for this kind of thing...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wrong neighbourhood for this kind of thing...
why? many expensive areas have this type of housing.. it seems to be where they flourish
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
why? many expensive areas have this type of housing.. it seems to be where they flourish
Let me rephase: it depends on the purpose of these coach houses - For aging parents, or nannies? Ok fine.

Similar to what Gridlock says, if you can afford to buy a house in West Van, chances are you don't need a mortgage helper. West Van isn't the neighbourhood for that!

How many properties in Shaughnessey have rental suites?

Side note - Look at a standard (33x122 lot) new house in Vancouver East. Most will have two rental suites (one legal, one not) in the basement! Home owners would never build something like that in Vancouver West.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Interesting topic/article OP.

Like most districts, West Vancouver has different areas.

Some houses are below the $1 mill range (hard to believe in West Van eh?)

Even the sub $1 mill to $1.5 mill might have owners who need mortgage assistance.

Considering that a coach house can be rented out for $1,500 to $2,500, it could greatly help with mortgages.

A $2,000 per month mortgage payment is like the equivalent of a $300,000 mortgage (give or take).

So, it does help for a lot of houses in West Van, but I am assuming less than other areas based on median house prices.

I also think that the mayor and the council wants to keep residents within West Van by offering this option, rather than having them move out.

Here is a quick list of areas in West Van, from most expensive to least expensive (from looking up mls.ca and reading real-estate articles and just remembering some facts)...

Most expensive to least expensive (not 100% accurate of course, there are anomalies in the low and high range, but here it goes):

1- British Properties (West Side, Chartwell area), $2.5 mill +
2- Ambleside/Queens area from 21st street to Taylor Way, $1.8 mill + (ideal for coach houses because of the squarish street divisions)
3- Marine Drive near Lighthouse Park, beach houses (some are more expensive than the BP ones, but median wise, BP is the most expensive), $1.8 mill +
4- British Properties (East Side, Southborough Glenmore area), $1.6 mill+
5- West Bay, $1.5 mill + (hilly, not good for coach houses that use back lanes))
6- Rockridge, $1.4 mill + (hilly)
7- Caulfeild (I know, the spelling is weird, but it is Feild), $1.4 mill+ (hilly)
8- Eagle Harbour/Ridge, $1.3 mill+ (hilly)
9 -Gleneagles, $1.2 mill+ (hilly)
10 - Horseshoe Bay, $800,000+ (ideal for coach houses because it is inexpensive, flat and have square street divisions)
11 - Lions Bay, $800,000+ (hilly, faraway removed from the main West Van areas, but still considered West Van, so cheaper prices)

Basically, the Western parts of West Van are generally less expensive than the Eastern parts of West Van.

I think coach houses is a good idea, but it goes without saying the rent that will be charged will probably be higher than the median rent, due to the higher land-value of the MAIN houses that the coach house is attached to, and due to hilly terrain.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #10
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
if your gonna be spending 2500 bucks a month on rent, you should look to buying a place and putting that 2500 towards a mortgage

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Not everyone wants to own property, especially at a overheated and cooling market. Not to mention the amount of rent is one thing, it is the ratio between the rent and the cost of the property that really matters. That's before downpayment considerations etc etc.

There are a lot of situations where your statement won't be feasible.. eg families with kids etc.

People should seek guidance and advice from a trusted financial advisor before (at the minimum) committing to rent or purchase property.

The problem I see with West Van's proposal is since West Van is on a hill and there aren't a lot of lane ways to start.. parking will be an issue especially in the Dundarave, West Bay, Sandy Cove areas. Especially if there is sanding / snow clearing involved, thankfully it is rather minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
if your gonna be spending 2500 bucks a month on rent, you should look to buying a place and putting that 2500 towards a mortgage
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
yeah, but at the same time, unless you are able to write off the amount spent to rent, at 2500 a month, its essentially going towards nothing than just cost of living. though not everyone need to nor want to invest in property, at least with 2500 towards a mortgage, its 2500 towards building equity.

thats just how i see it. aside from other factors like having enough to cover the down payment to be able to get a mortgage at that amount a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Not everyone wants to own property, especially at a overheated and cooling market. Not to mention the amount of rent is one thing, it is the ratio between the rent and the cost of the property that really matters. That's before downpayment considerations etc etc.

There are a lot of situations where your statement won't be feasible.. eg families with kids etc.

People should seek guidance and advice from a trusted financial advisor before (at the minimum) committing to rent or purchase property.

The problem I see with West Van's proposal is since West Van is on a hill and there aren't a lot of lane ways to start.. parking will be an issue especially in the Dundarave, West Bay, Sandy Cove areas. Especially if there is sanding / snow clearing involved, thankfully it is rather minimal.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Just what I want when I put down several million on some prime real estate in West Van...a mortgage helper in the backyard.

I can see it for a nanny suite, or inlaw suite, but to hell if I want my neighbors renting this shit out to randoms.
it's to keep the mistress/gf on the side...duh...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
doesn't this already exist on East Van/south van houses? There's those houses above garages with their own address...If this goes through, I would still expect a 300-400k price point...for living on someone else's land.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
I don't get it

Please don't let this thread turn into another Rent vs. Own shitshow...
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,308 Times in 5,630 Posts
Here are a couple in east van I took a look at, a company with their signs up claiming to build them starting at 120k, so if you can rent it for 1500 a month that's quite an investment long term if you've already got a mortgage

And I'm asuming both of these would be over that price point, nice stuff though
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
if you live in the area and you are single or just with a significant other i can see it working, most people dont need more then a basement but dont want to live in a "basement"

i agree that the money is better invested in a mortgage but if you are not ready to make that kind of investment then renting is a good alternative until you do figure out what you want.. eg. if you plan to go away for work, relationships fall apart, you have a serious injury.

i was looking into buying one of the varsity condos in Langley because my current rent would cover the mortgage of the condo alone but realizing i may not want to live in Langley or would maybe consider working in Alberta made it seem like a poor investment for this stage in my life.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post

Quote:
Let me rephase: it depends on the purpose of these coach houses - For aging parents, or nannies? Ok fine.

Similar to what Gridlock says, if you can afford to buy a house in West Van, chances are you don't need a mortgage helper. West Van isn't the neighbourhood for that!

How many properties in Shaughnessey have rental suites?
I have to disagree with the both of you.
If this is implemented it will help develop West Van more. With a larger population in a denser area. Not a bad thing.

When it comes to "my neighbour having tenants," I don't see the issue as an upscale neighbourhood should bring in upscale tenants. Yet if you don't want your neighbour to have tenants, you should've bought MORE land so you could space your home away from theirs. Properties are shrinking by the day and prices are going through the roof, so you got to spend a lot to get the privacy you want. If you don't have the money, that's not your neighbours problem, clearly he spent the money and decided to put a coach house on some of it.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

Let me ask you this - if you don't need the money, would you want to share your property with someone else?

I am currently building a new house (basement + 2 levels) in Vancouver, just west of Main. I have included a 2 bedroom suite in the basement to be rented out because that income would help tremendously with my mortgage. I even considered building a laneway house too, but my lot is 0.8 ft too narrow (yes, 10 inches).

I don't want to share my property with others, but I kinda need the money.

How many home owners in West Vancouver need the money?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
^ all depends on the tenant, my landlords have to sacrifice half their driveway for me, my car will not be parked on the street but in exchange they never hear me, never have a problem and they get their money ontime. in a nicer neighborhood i think there will be less chance of low class tenants, they might respect themselves and property more due to the value of the place
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Let me ask you this - if you don't need the money, would you want to share your property with someone else?
This is how your confusing me.. Just with this statement.

It's an OPPURTUNITY for someone to build a coach house on their property. It is NOT MANDATORY for every house on the block to have one.

The city is just proposing the concept to the residents to see if they like the idea or not. Ofcourse if it passes, some people will not like this, and developers will come in and "destroy" the neighbourhood by building tons of these.

And just to solidify my thinking, please tell me how a coach house differs from a "pool house" that is equipped with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom. (Because we all know those rich fucks like pools, and a "pool house" or "nanny suite" is CLEARLY different. )
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
This is how your confusing me.. Just with this statement.

It's an OPPURTUNITY for someone to build a coach house on their property. It is NOT MANDATORY for every house on the block to have one.

The city is just proposing the concept to the residents to see if they like the idea or not. Ofcourse if it passes, some people will not like this, and developers will come in and "destroy" the neighbourhood by building tons of these.

And just to solidify my thinking, please tell me how a coach house differs from a "pool house" that is equipped with a kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom. (Because we all know those rich fucks like pools, and a "pool house" or "nanny suite" is CLEARLY different. )
Point taken. I am forgetting the fact that the city is simply looking at giving home owners the opportunity to build a coach house.

However, I'm still thinking that most West Van home owners will say "no, I don't want a coach house, and I don't want my neighbour to have the choice of having one either". You know, rich fucks are selfish, and like telling others what they can/cannot do!

Interesting thing - in upscale neighbourhoods, these standalone buildings are often called coach houses, whereas in less expensive areas, they're called laneway houses.

A coach/laneway house is a legal suite with a separate address, and can be rented out to a third party. A pool house/nanny suite does not have a separate address and cannot be legally rented out.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post

good point. not everyone would want to throw down $200k-ish to build one.

if these structures pop up left and right....we'll see more buckets and crates on the public street ala east van to block parking spots off in front of houses

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

I am currently building a new house (basement + 2 levels) in Vancouver, just west of Main. I have included a 2 bedroom suite in the basement to be rented out because that income would help tremendously with my mortgage. I even considered building a laneway house too, but my lot is 0.8 ft too narrow (yes, 10 inches).

I don't want to share my property with others, but I kinda need the money.
Smart choice. Having someone else cover your mortgage for you this way. And once you build up enough capital you can just buy another property and rent out the rest of the space.
I just finish doing what you did cept with the added laneway house. Cambie and SW Marine dr.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #25

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

No, when I was looking for a new home every house on my street (except 4) had carriage houses over the garage. I didn't need the rental income so I chose to go with the house without the carriage home. As an investment the home over the garage would have paid for itself within 4 years but I didn't want to deal with the headaches of renting. There is also the privacy thing, I have little kids, I have a dog I don't want people fucking with my shit or my family. I can see why people do it houses are fucking expensive but honestly from some of the issues my neighbors have had with tenants I don't regret it one little bit. That's not to say some people don't mind doing it and make a tidy little bit of money doing it, just not for me.

In that area of Vancouver where they are proposing it there is nothing wrong with making it legal IMO. If the demand is there they'll be built and if it isn't they won't. Who am I to judge what people want in there own neighborhood?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote