REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Strength and Conditioning Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/684629-strength-conditioning-thread.html)

Derek_N84 05-29-2013 12:38 PM

Strength and Conditioning Thread

Didn't want this lost in the other work out thread cause I felt that thread was more focused on weightlifting. Curious to see if other RS members do any strength and conditioning or any sport specific training?

Currently doing some circuits, plyometrics, agility ladders + hurdles, sprints, sand bag training, kettlebell training and rope undulation (battle ropes).

saucywoman 05-30-2013 06:28 PM

Element Athletic | group personal training

My friend runs this gym, thinking about going there any trying out kettleball training; what's it like? Metabolic mayham looks intense too
Posted via RS Mobile

trancehead 05-30-2013 06:59 PM

for me, im trying to get a balance of usable strength and of course looking good.
i play some drop in hockey once in a while, nothing too serious
some new things (to me) that ive been doing for over a year now:

single arm dumbbell bench press on a swiss ball. i do two variations:
1. flat: head lies on ball. hips are 90 degrees. hand that is not lifting is rested on abs
2. incline: close to 45 degrees with knees pointed upwards. hand on abs again

also, romanian squats i think its called. single leg resting on bench

and what i love:
single leg squats with barbell. great for balance
only one leg has contact with floor. other leg remains free to move for balance
(i am stuck at about 95 pounds though. hard for me to pass that barrier without sacrificing form)

balance is so important

use the swiss ball and make it your bitch. i can stand on top of one now and do body weight squats

Derek_N84 06-03-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8249768)

My friend runs this gym, thinking about going there any trying out kettleball training; what's it like? Metabolic mayham looks intense too
Posted via RS Mobile

metabolic hell lol. your heart rate jumps pretty quick and that acid in your muscles builds up almost just as quick too. i remember my first ever kb workout got me pretty light headed :lol

honestly one of the best kinds of workouts out there imo.

Derek_N84 06-03-2013 03:55 PM

trancehead: you're a beast. single leg bb squats and swissball squats? props! that's a hell of a strong core and stabilizers to pull that off.

strike66 06-03-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 8249768)

Posted via RS Mobile

I used to go here for a lunch time workout when I was working in the area. Corey and Levi are all about developing functional strength. I thought it was run really well. I'm normally a gym bodybuilding type but adding this cardio/hiit was really good.

saucywoman 06-03-2013 08:40 PM

Strike and Derek thanks both for your input :)

Strike that doesn't surprise me :) I've only met Corey briefly but hanging out with Levi I can totally see this place being a success.. He is a kindhearted person and gets genuinely happy when his clients succeed and meet whatever goals they are striving for
Posted via RS Mobile

hal0g0dv2 06-04-2013 08:50 AM

squats on a Swiss ball cool
Posted via RS Mobile

G-spec 06-08-2013 01:29 PM

Functional strength as in being able to utilize it specifically for certain types of sports, as opposed to gym guys who can just lift heavy and are huge, but when its time to kick or shoot a ball they're done after 5 mins... u talkin bout dat ?

best thing to do is YouTube, I follow a few channels where they show workouts that are sport specific, showing you workouts from NFL basketball, hockey, etc... players and I see what these pro athletes are doing and I follow their lead.... my sport is basketball so I'm watchin what these NBA players are doing in the gym and follow that
Posted via RS Mobile

red_sir 06-08-2013 06:20 PM

Those guys cannot kick or shoot a ball very well because... they don't know how to kick or shoot a ball. Pretty sure anyone that only trains "functional strength" isn't going to be very good at ball sports either.

instantneedles 06-08-2013 09:40 PM

adding on top of redsir's post, functional strength is.... well functional strength.

Sport specific athletic training caters to the sport itself and is not limited to strength variables. You gotta consider speed, agility, balance, power, coordination, reaction time, body composition, etc.

Just wanted to make a point that strength itself IS functional, it's just a matter of being able to systematically apply it. Some of the meatheads in the gym that you see lifting weights (well those that are doing it properly) may be training for a certain sport anyway - bodybuilding is a sport.

Strength and conditioning is awesome in my opinion because it incorporates all the parameters of athletic training, and with attentive movement analysis, can help break down the key skills and attributes of a sport to fine tune an athlete.

It's really too bad this thread isn't getting the attention it deserves lol.

red_sir 06-08-2013 10:28 PM

Great post instant!!

G-spec 06-08-2013 10:32 PM

my bad I didn't word my point properly, I also misused the phrase functional strength... but I'm just making the distinction, there's a clear difference between guys who hit the gym hard and train for only two things, size and strength... there's a difference between that guy and a guy who does it specifically for a certain sport. It's almost like two different sports under the same umbrella, not to mention the differences between power lifting and just lifting to be big.

Nothing wrong with either one, if you wanna lift be huge and strong go for it, or if you want all around athleticism, it all depends on what your goals are.
I've done both, from high school when I was 6'1 and 185 lbs lightning quick and athletic on the courts and fields, to taking a break from sports and lifting getting up to 220, now back down to 190 where I'll stay for the next few years at least... so I've done both and I personally prefer to be leaner and athletic as opposed to big and strong, it's just what's most useful to me now at this point in my life.
When I get a bit older and I stop playing various sports, I'll bulk back up again most likely.

Derek_N84 06-30-2013 11:21 PM

For anyone interested, Fitness Depot by the BC Liquor on Broadway by Rupert is having a sale on their agility ladders. Its 14.88, you save like 40 something odd bucks. 12 space ladder with a carrying bag :D