REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Strength and Conditioning Thread

Didn't want this lost in the other work out thread cause I felt that thread was more focused on weightlifting. Curious to see if other RS members do any strength and conditioning or any sport specific training?

Currently doing some circuits, plyometrics, agility ladders + hurdles, sprints, sand bag training, kettlebell training and rope undulation (battle ropes).
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
VLS Head Mod

Element Athletic | group personal training

My friend runs this gym, thinking about going there any trying out kettleball training; what's it like? Metabolic mayham looks intense too
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

for me, im trying to get a balance of usable strength and of course looking good.
i play some drop in hockey once in a while, nothing too serious
some new things (to me) that ive been doing for over a year now:

single arm dumbbell bench press on a swiss ball. i do two variations:
1. flat: head lies on ball. hips are 90 degrees. hand that is not lifting is rested on abs
2. incline: close to 45 degrees with knees pointed upwards. hand on abs again

also, romanian squats i think its called. single leg resting on bench

and what i love:
single leg squats with barbell. great for balance
only one leg has contact with floor. other leg remains free to move for balance
(i am stuck at about 95 pounds though. hard for me to pass that barrier without sacrificing form)

balance is so important

use the swiss ball and make it your bitch. i can stand on top of one now and do body weight squats

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post

My friend runs this gym, thinking about going there any trying out kettleball training; what's it like? Metabolic mayham looks intense too
Posted via RS Mobile
metabolic hell lol. your heart rate jumps pretty quick and that acid in your muscles builds up almost just as quick too. i remember my first ever kb workout got me pretty light headed

honestly one of the best kinds of workouts out there imo.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

trancehead: you're a beast. single leg bb squats and swissball squats? props! that's a hell of a strong core and stabilizers to pull that off.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
I used to go here for a lunch time workout when I was working in the area. Corey and Levi are all about developing functional strength. I thought it was run really well. I'm normally a gym bodybuilding type but adding this cardio/hiit was really good.
strike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
VLS Head Mod

Strike and Derek thanks both for your input

Strike that doesn't surprise me I've only met Corey briefly but hanging out with Levi I can totally see this place being a success.. He is a kindhearted person and gets genuinely happy when his clients succeed and meet whatever goals they are striving for
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
squats on a Swiss ball cool
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
Functional strength as in being able to utilize it specifically for certain types of sports, as opposed to gym guys who can just lift heavy and are huge, but when its time to kick or shoot a ball they're done after 5 mins... u talkin bout dat ?

best thing to do is YouTube, I follow a few channels where they show workouts that are sport specific, showing you workouts from NFL basketball, hockey, etc... players and I see what these pro athletes are doing and I follow their lead.... my sport is basketball so I'm watchin what these NBA players are doing in the gym and follow that
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by G-spec; 06-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
I LOVE SQWAT

Those guys cannot kick or shoot a ball very well because... they don't know how to kick or shoot a ball. Pretty sure anyone that only trains "functional strength" isn't going to be very good at ball sports either.
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
adding on top of redsir's post, functional strength is.... well functional strength.

Sport specific athletic training caters to the sport itself and is not limited to strength variables. You gotta consider speed, agility, balance, power, coordination, reaction time, body composition, etc.

Just wanted to make a point that strength itself IS functional, it's just a matter of being able to systematically apply it. Some of the meatheads in the gym that you see lifting weights (well those that are doing it properly) may be training for a certain sport anyway - bodybuilding is a sport.

Strength and conditioning is awesome in my opinion because it incorporates all the parameters of athletic training, and with attentive movement analysis, can help break down the key skills and attributes of a sport to fine tune an athlete.

It's really too bad this thread isn't getting the attention it deserves lol.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
I LOVE SQWAT

Great post instant!!
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
my bad I didn't word my point properly, I also misused the phrase functional strength... but I'm just making the distinction, there's a clear difference between guys who hit the gym hard and train for only two things, size and strength... there's a difference between that guy and a guy who does it specifically for a certain sport. It's almost like two different sports under the same umbrella, not to mention the differences between power lifting and just lifting to be big.

Nothing wrong with either one, if you wanna lift be huge and strong go for it, or if you want all around athleticism, it all depends on what your goals are.
I've done both, from high school when I was 6'1 and 185 lbs lightning quick and athletic on the courts and fields, to taking a break from sports and lifting getting up to 220, now back down to 190 where I'll stay for the next few years at least... so I've done both and I personally prefer to be leaner and athletic as opposed to big and strong, it's just what's most useful to me now at this point in my life.
When I get a bit older and I stop playing various sports, I'll bulk back up again most likely.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #14

For anyone interested, Fitness Depot by the BC Liquor on Broadway by Rupert is having a sale on their agility ladders. Its 14.88, you save like 40 something odd bucks. 12 space ladder with a carrying bag